1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantx Squelchies on Surround Modes

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Antpink, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Just curious if anyone has experienced the following phenomenom:

Got a Marantz 7400, Avant Premier Plus package - hooked it all up last weekend, tested it out with a few DVDs and have set it up by ear until I get an SPL to tune it. Great - sounds pretty good, and hope it will get better as the speakers loosen up. No problems there, panning etc all as expected, effects well placed, dialogue good etc.

However, when I switch to cable or VCR (both 2-channel analogue inputs) it seems that with any surround mode except CSII Music and Prologic IIx Music I get what I can only call "squelchy" overlays in all the L and R speakers, most noticeably the Front R - almost as if there's some water surrounding the speakers - not noticeable on the Centre channel though. And in the Music modes (as well as straight stereo mode), crystal clear!

I'm assuming that this is something to do with the way the sound is processed in the other modes - is this normal?? Any others get this issue - otherwise I am very pleased.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm not experienced this myself

3. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

If you refer to my previous post 'poor quality sound advice', you will see I have been having much the same problem as you with surround sound broadcasts via Sky.

Seems there are quite a few people experiencing this too, though I haven't established quite why this happens.

Hopefully you will get some more advice!

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Antpink

I think what you are hearing is quite normal if it happens with DPL II from stereo sources (but not from 5.1 sources).

You'll probably find when you notice it most is in scenes with a lot of dialogue rather than a lot of background music/sounds.

It is not limited to Marantz, it is a byproduct of the DPL II processing filtering out speech from channels other than the front centre.