Maplin Wireless HDMI Video Sender

huwdm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of this. I want to send Sky HD from one room to another.

This looks like an opportunistic seller grabbing a failed technology and trying to make a few quid quickly before everyone finds out its rubbish.

A bit like Del Boy trying to shift the Eastern European Video cameras !!

This tech was at one time considered and looked into by a few large companies ( Sony being one ) and was quickly dropped because it introduces a huge amount of artifacts. The Picture quality is terrible.

There were two wireless systems being looked at for HDMI , this one works at 5GHz and means heavy compression , leading to lots of artifacts , not the kind of thing expected over a high quality HD interface like HDMI , and has been dropped by all serious manufacturers.

The other one worked at 60Ghz , meaning no compression and a high quality picture , but at that frequency was line of sight only , break that line of sight and the signal was lost , so again , that one has been dropped by all serious manufacturers.

There is no real alternative to cables when it comes to HDMI , this maplins unit is far too expensive given its very very poor quality result.

As andy1249 says even when it works its not great - we have a big box of discarded samples here to back up Andy's assessment.

HDMI over single or dual CAT5/6 is a far better option if you can get the cable(s) installed - they can run externally if need be.

Joe

You should take a look at the Amimon WHDI based products:

Amimon - WHDI Technology Overview

There are a few around, from Marmitek:

GigaView820 - Wireless Full HD Audio/Video Sender - Marmitek

& Gefen:

Gefen, LLC - GefenTV Wireless for HDMI (5 GHz Radio Technology)

Not cheap though at £350++

I've got three of the Marmitek ones, branded AirSync HD (I bought them in the states). Picture quality is excellent with no drop-outs as long as you don't try to beam through 3 concrete walls and travel 60ft! 1 wall @ 30ft or 2 walls at 15ft and you can still get 1080p. They have a boost mode to allow them to send further, but only at 1080i, still perfectly good enough for a bedroom TV. I only use 2 of them, so if anyone's interested I have a boxed one for sale.

They all ‘work’ to various degrees!!!

As samples we have to destroy/recycle them as part of the import process – they can’t be sold or released to end users.

Joe

They all ‘work’ to various degrees!!!

As samples we have to destroy/recycle them as part of the import process – they can’t be sold or released to end users.

Joe

Okay...was worth a shot:thumbsup:

Such a shame you have to destroy them.

Thanks for posting back though:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom