Maple vs Red Cherry

A

akerman

And now for something completely different...

Which finish do you prefer - maple or red cherry?

Natural Oak or Black... :cool:

Glass, stainless steel or a real wood veneer - certainly not silver plastic or printed veneers (yes I know my M74i fall into this catagory but I am working on it)

American Walnut.

Between Maple and Red Cherry though, I think I'd go for Red Cherry. Maple has been done so many times although this entirely depends on the asthetics of your room.

Richie.

True story: I auditioned an Audio Research LS22 pre-amp and was mightily impressed so decided to buy it. I was offered the one on demo (silver finish) but I said I wanted a black one to match the rest of the system. The salesman then went to great length to convince me that the Silver models "sounded better" because of the finish! I bought the black after responding I thought the Silver model sounded "a bit bright". He was crestfallen.

Then again I am sure my Cherry finish speakers have a lighter sound than the black!

glass and stainless steel speakers? :))

Most exotic I've seen is acrylic plastic.

Surely you're not deciding on which finish to go for on the basis of other's opinions???

gloss silver MA GR20 are ideal for me. Between maple and red cherry i prefer red cherry but it really depends on interior decor and more importantly what the wife says!

My preference maple to match light coloured furniture,Cherry for people with darker coloured furniture.So being as all our stuffs light coloured it has to be maple. :D
PS except for the svs 20-39pc+ but thats being worked on.

I prefer matt Black... it matches all kinds and colors of furniture... :)

who said black..? sigh...

I'm happy with my darkl apple...

akerman said:
glass and stainless steel speakers? :))

Most exotic I've seen is acrylic plastic.

I did have a pair of glass speakers several years ago (and have seen one or two advertised since) - needless to say the inevitable happened :(

I have maple but there so many variations that cherry is perhaps safer for consistency.

But black is horrid!!

You're all mad :) lovely, but mad :devil:

GFS AV said:
Surely you're not deciding on which finish to go for on the basis of other's opinions???

WHy not, people by Plasma and LCD tvs on the opinions of these people on the forum, colour choice costs nothing ! :D

GFS AV said:

I used to like red cherry better.. then I got a maple sub on loan - and now I'm not sure anymore.. it matches my floor better, and looks more modern. But it could just be because it's a breath of fresh air that I like it more.

This is a good thing to keep in mind, thanks:
deanym said:
I have maple but there so many variations that cherry is perhaps safer for consistency.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom