Question Many websites not working on SMARTY network (Three) using Samsung S9

UrbanAvenger

Hello,

I recently signed up to the SMARTY UK phone network, owned by Three Mobile. Great value, but for some reason I'm having issues connecting to many sites and apps - half the internet works, half doesn't! Their customer service haven't been able to help. So if you're up for a challenge, I've listed below the details and everything I've tried so far.

Issue: Many websites return the following error...
This page isn’t working
yahoo.com didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

My phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 - from Australia, where I recently returned from, but is the G960F "Global/Europe, single SIM" model (specs here). Android 10.
Network: SMARTY. They use frequency bands 1 (2100MHz), 3 (1800MHz) and 20 (800MHz) according to 4g.co.uk. All these are supported by my phone if I'm not mistaken.
Network status: I have a strong, 4G connection in London E10 with the recommended APN settings. The default APN is three.co.uk but their site says to use mob.asm.net. I've tried both, restarting phone each time. Also tried the APN Type as both 'Default' and '*'. The networks adult filter is turned OFF.

What about other UK SIMs?
Asda Mobile (EE) and Giffgaff (O2) both work fine in the phone.

What about when you try it in a different phone?
When the SIM is in my partners iPhone, all websites work.

Running through a list of most popular websites, as well as others I've tested, here's some websites that do and do not work, to see if anyone can identify some trends:

Examples of websites that load successfully:
  • Google.com, Google.co.uk
  • Wikipedia.org
  • Duckduckgo.com
  • Reddit.com
  • Qq.com (China)
  • Microsoft.com
  • Bing.com
  • Ebay.com, ebay.co.uk
  • Indeed.co.uk (not dot com)

Examples of websites that fail to load:
  • Yahoo.com
  • Amazon.com
  • Google.com.hk (Hong Kong)
  • Baidu.com (China)
  • Vk.com (Russia)
  • Indeed.com
  • Example.com
  • Avforums.com
  • xda-developers.com
  • Androidforums.com
DNS
I've tried using different DNS servers - Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8), OpenDNS, 1.1.1.1, etc. and restarting to no avail.

Tor
When I connect through Tor (e.g. Orbot app), as I am now to post this, all sites work.

Many thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

BM08

This isn’t going to help you, but I’m on Three using an iPhone, and I’ve tried the first 3 websites on your list of sites that fail to load, they work fine on my phone.

Not sure what to suggest really, apart from what you’ve already done.

UrbanAvenger

With the info I've provided I'm hoping someone with the technical understanding of this will be able to identify where in the chain it's broken.

Dave X

With the info I've provided I'm hoping someone with the technical understanding of this will be able to identify where in the chain it's broken.

There are plenty of hits in Google when searching that term.

reading some of them seems to point at some sort of SSL error.

Have you tried another normal browser? like Kiwi or Firefox?

Last edited:

UrbanAvenger

There are plenty of hits in Google when searching that term.

reading some of them seems to point at some sort of SSL error.

Have you tried another normal browser? like Kiwi or Firefox?
The error is just saying it can't connect, so yeah of course the web is full of people who have had other unrelated connection issues.

I haven't found any other hits for the same issue I'm experiencing... other than one on this forum which appears to have been fixed by turning the adult filter off, but mine is already off.

I've tested in Samsung Internet and Chrome, and just installed Firefox to try - same result. I don't believe it's an app issue, it's deeper than that.

Last edited:

UrbanAvenger

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom