Many thanks for all the advice...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Steve Tustin, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All the advice on here proved invaluable in navigating me through this particular swamp!

Just popped out and bought a Toshiba RDXS32 (Multi Region - this the same as RCE?) from Richer Sounds. Also saw it on PRC Direct so managed to get Richer's price promise as well as their extended warranty price being MUCH better than anywhere else!

Result was that last night I was prepared to pay around £500 for the unit with 3 years warranty as well as having to wait for delivery (Is that just a guy thing? See something want it NOW!) But thanks to what I read on here as well as a little bit of web searching I got exactly the same thing for £430 and I have got it NOW!

Will drop a tenner in the next child related charity box I see to say thanks - still leaves me £60 up!

Nathan and Brian at Richer Sounds in Preston are most helpful - give them your custom!

Thanks all - I now need advice on how to wire all my boxes, TV etc. together - I think I saw another forum for that purpose? Or does it go here?

:thumbsup:

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,466
    Glad the forums were of help. It's why they are here. We have a cabling forum for connecting-up issues.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Not quite. A multi-region DVD player/recorder can play DVDs from other regions. However some US companies add a Region Coding Enhancement (RCE) onto their disks which checks to see if the player/recorder is multi-region - if it is it won't play. Multi-region mods can generally cope with such RCE disks these days but 'handset hacks' generally can't. My suggestion is try it and see...

4. moviemonsteruk

moviemonsteruk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi steve . Can you let me know what discs you have in mind to use with your toshi . Also picked up mine from the same store yesterday they only had two so you got the last one . They are apparantly now sold out in all of there nortern stores as i had to travel from runcorn to collect yesterday . I picked up 2 samsung dvd-r discs instore 99p each to try it out but haven't got that far into the manual yet . :)

5. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked PRC direct and no listings of Toshiba Recorders.

Can't say the same for the Birmingham branch, unless I always get the same person on the phone. Everytime I try for a price match they want blood.

It has to be exactly the same model including multi-region, in stock, including delivery and prove that all this is true....... Otherwise they actually want more than the advertisted price and thats for the shop soiled one thats left!

The next nearest one is over 50 miles away in Notingham

Still looking.............................

6. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Printed off this which shows PRC have stock:

http://uk.pricerunner.com/sound-and-vision/vision/dvd-players/212397/prices

Then printed this to prove price for same item with the lower price:

http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront/EN/product/RDXS32

Of course, the level of ease/difficulty depends on the person in store I guess, but life is a bit like that! See how ya get on....

BTW - I hear that they are out of stock everywhere and will be 2 weeks or so for replenishment. Not sure if the price promise applies on orders

7. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ... but I'm sure that my decision will be influenced by the much wiser heads on this forum when it is time. So far I have gathered that Vertibam seem to be a good all-rounder for DVD-R

Have fun - and be sure to let us all know of any "gotchas!"