1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many Thanks.....but

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SIP, Aug 11, 2003.

1. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very many thanks to all the people who answered my query on which format to choose "+" or "-".

I decided to go for the "-" format in the shape of the Panasonic E50, but after a 90min journey this morning, I still did not manage to get one...I have to wait till Friday now.......sob!

On my journey back though, I called at one or two of the big retail sheds. Comet, offered the new Toshiba & Sony models and also the HS2, but sadly they were all out of my budget. Curry's offered both Philips & Panasonic, but did not fill me with confidence when the assistant told me that the Philips model does not use the "+" system, and that I was mistaken. When I argued the toss with them the assistant "went to find out", and came back with apologies. In Curry's, they had a Philips 880 machine for £249.00, with a card attached saying "Returned". When I asked the assistant why it had been returned, he could not tell me. Is this the faulty one I have read so much about????.

While in the above shops, my partner, (who has no interest in AV at all, and is still perplexed why video 2000 never caught on) pointed out that all the blank media on sale was for "+", and wondered if I was making the right choice.
    I must admit, if you are tempted to buy a machine with not knowing much about them, and you base your purchase on availability of the blanks, then "+" would be the format.
    I found one 5 pack of -r, but could not see any RAM at all. When I asked why, I was told that it was expensive to stock!!!!.....how much, I asked " £30 for three" . What a rip off.
    I checked in Argos. Nine items of blank +R & +RW, and one -R. They have also got rid of the Panasonic recorder that was in last seasons catalogue, and now only have Philips & Bush. No prizes for guessing what the retailers are pushing then.

After all that though, I am happy with the advice you have given me, and am looking forward to my E50 being delivered......but its a mine field for Joe Public, and there are not enough people working in retail outlets who have any more of a clue than the poor punter.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Philips makes considerable profit from it's sales of DVD+RW and DVD+R media which is why your seeing it aggressively pushed everywhere. On the other hand RAM/-RW/-R media is made by a variety of companies as a 'secondary line' so aren;t pushing it quite so much. This is slowly changing and you'll find RAM disks are readily available in PC World, Dixons and most Comet stores. Certainly my local PC World sells more makes of DVD-R media than DVD+R. They also sell Caddyless DVD-RAMs and Caddied Single and Double sided disks.

I should point out you'll frequently find DVD-R media in the PC sections of these stores as opposed to next to the recorders themselves.

As for E50 availability - some stores sell only Philips some only Panasonic - presumably to avoid consumer confusion. My local Dixons sells the E50, my local Comet sells the Philips DVDR70. All stores can order your model of choice.

All the said why don't you try buying the E50 on the internet. Companies like RGB Direct (http://www.rgbwap.co.uk/mainscreen.htm) sell it for around £280 multi-region. Media is considerably cheaper online as well.

3. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    "Media is considerably cheaper online as well." Agreed on that; My local PC World is selling a 2 pack of Panasonic 9.4GB caddyless DVD-RAM discs for the bargain price of £45! :eek:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Yeah a real rip off. :mad:

Two such disks cost under £18 on the Panasonic E-shop - and that's not the cheapest online.

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    SIP. Don't worry about the supply of DVD-R or RAM media. Retailers are living on another planet as far as pricing and stocking so forget them. I use internet company SVP and you can pay by cheque no need to worry about credit card usage.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/