1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many LCDs vs 1 CRT...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by micmic, Mar 26, 2005.

1. micmic

micmic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The timeless question rises again: Should it be a CRT or an LCD ? Here are the data: If it is a CRT it is going to be 28", if an LCD it will be 27"-30" (it's a question of available space). It will be used for 70% TV, 20% DVDs, 10% gaming. I want the best DVD reproduction quality I can buy; I'm prepared to sacrifice some TV quality if I have to.

I was almost ready to buy one of the following LCDs:

Sony KLV-27HR3B/S
    Hitachi 28LD5200
    Grundig Almira 30LW76-9401
    Philips 30PF9946
    Toshiba 30WL46G

...when a knowledgeable friend suggested the Loewe Mimo 28" CRT. He believes that it will be much better for my needs and budget. He also said that this Loewe is advanced enough and will not suffer from "burn-in". I can get the Loewe for €1200 while the others will cost from €1300 to €1600.

Well... opinions ? :)

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    There are no problems with 'burn-in' and LCDs. There is a proceedure to 'run in' Plasma screens, but it is not a problem. I assume you are in central Europe. UK customers would reject most of these, except the Philips,as they will not be compatible with the Sky HD service which starts in 2006. The Sony is a fairly new model, but like so many sets has a 15:9 size screen, not 16:9. It also has compatibility problems and is due to be replaced in a few months.

3. micmic

micmic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I know that LCDs have no "burn-in" problem. I was worried about how much of a problem that would be for the Loewe CRT. My friend says not to worry, but then again he's not the one who'll be paying.

I'm in Greece, so I don't care for HDTV yet.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You're working in a funny size bracket...Most of the 'Big' manufacturers are concentrating on 23", 26", 32", 37". These are the sizes that are getting the most technological input and are there fore starting to 'pull away' from the other odd sizes.

Keep in mind that a 26" LCD has the same viewable area as a 28" CRT, so it could be that you could concentrate on this size with better results....

Also keep in mind that LCD's are very slim and compact, so you could possibly start looking at the top selling 32" size. More expensive certainly, but a size that has all the manufacturers throwing all their best features at.

Have you got a maximum budget? Are you going to go for a TV that will handle HiDef inputs....

Jimmy

PS. Just noticed our posts have coincided!

CRT's will not suffer any Burn In.

5. Corelli

Corelli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. micmic

micmic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you're right. I was just thinking size-wise and it's tempting to go for a 30" instead of a 26" that costs the same. I'll definitely think it over *IF* I decide to go LCD...

30" is as much as I can get, and then not every model because of space limitations (mainly width).

The TV that I'm going to buy now will be used as a main set for the time being, but in 2-3 years it will probably become a 2nd set. With that in mind, and with the LCD prices falling all the time and the quality improving, I really don't think I should opt for the bleeding edge of technology right now.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    That statement is quite inaccurate. CRTs are quite capable of being damaged by constant bright displays (eg of channel logos).

8. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Get a Sonix!!

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Been watching CRT televisions and worked with CRT PC monitors ALL MY LIFE. I have never seen screen burn on a CRT. I have seen Screen burn on a Plasma.

I realise there is the potential to burn CRT's, but not a realistic threat to any domestic CRT TV. I also suspect that the origional post in this thread has caused a little confusion on this point. Lets just say that the words 'Screen burn' and modern 'CRT's' are rarely used in the same sentence! Some confusion with Plasmas perhaps.

Jimmy

10. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    CRT TV's are probably OK, but ( giving my age away now! ) I worked in IT for 40 years and boy I have seen many CRT monitors with burn in. That's why screen savers were invented, when you have a menu on the screen day in day out, it gets burned in real good!

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This may well be the case, but we are discussing domestic sets here ( I presume!) and you would really have to doing some strange stuff to acheive Screen Burn with a modern CRT.

Anyway, the point is mute as this, I am sure, is not what the origional post was really meaning....

Jimmy

12. micmic

micmic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess my question boils down to whether the Loewe CRT will offer better DVD reproduction than LCDs of the same size and €300-400 more expensive...

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks micmic for bringing us under control....we can get easily sidelined!

The answer isn't simple. CRT's are great at giving very presentable picture quality from many different sources - easy to set up and easy to live with.

There are an increasing number of cheap LCD's appearing on the market, and to be honest, I'm not sure how good they really are. Probably OK by all accounts.

I can only comment on my experience with the Philips 32PF9986. This set is able to produce utterly stunning pictures via Progressive Scan DVD inputs over Component at 576p. This PQ is better than anything any CRT is able to produce and part of the beauty of it that there is more to come! Direct digital feeds at 720p and 1080i are even better (but not much yet) and of course LCD's will also fully facilitate Sky HD when it comes...(not all of them mind you, but that is another whole discussion!)

So, if you are looking for the easy life and OK pictures stick with the CRT. If you want the ultimate, mind boggling impact that LCD's can produce, you now no what you need to do!

Jimmy

14. micmic

micmic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Time to sideline my own thread, I guess :)

It's a question about progressive input... I understand that DVD players can output progressive signal, but doesn't that mean that they have to de-interlace it since all DVDs are encoded interlaced ? And wouldn't an interlaced output look better on a CRT since there's no conversion of any kind ?

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Interlaced pictures are inherently poorer than progressive ones. A progressive picture refreshes the whole picture frame by frame and produces much smoother motion.

I could be wrong here, but I think that DVD's are actually read as Progressive and converted to interlaced...not sure tho'

Jimmy