Many doubts about which tv to buy 55q85r(55q85r), 55q80a, 65q90a, Panasonic 65hx940

Edimundo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

First of all, sorry for my English.
This is my first post.

I have, right now, the opportunity to buy these TVs, some are second hand and some are new.

My intention is to watch movies with the dark light. I am not very demanding, but I like them to be of good quality. One of my concerns is that the night scenes look good, and I don't have to imagine what's going on.

Gaming, I would like to play games on the PC from time to time, so I don't think that's the priority. But as before, when I play I'd like it to look good, it's not necessary to be excellent, far from it.

As for the motion, I'd like it to be good for the range I'm looking at. Unfortunately, I pay a lot of attention to this, but if it's relatively good, I'm happy with it.

I'd like it to be 65 inches, but for budget reasons it might have to be 55.

55-inch TV

55q85r (580euros/485GBP)
Second hand
Warranty: still 3 years

I imagine it's a good TV, and for gaming it will be fine (not necessary excellent), but I have my doubts if I compare it with 55q80a (the q80a would be new and right now, it's at 699 euros/585 GBP. But tomorrow it could be around 850 euros/711GBP because they are the last units).

55q80a
New
Warranty :3 years

I'm hesitating between this and the 55q85r

As I said I'd like a 65 inch, but the price is important, so I don't think I'll buy it, although I might make an effort if it's worth it.

65 inch TV

Panasonic 65HX940 (550 euros/460GBP)
Cheap TV.
Second hand
Warranty: Still 3 years

The thing is that it's ips and Edge LED. I have no idea what the experience of watching movies with an IPS panel in a dark room is. I've read reviews but I really don't know, and I don't know if the black-grey of IPS will be as bad an experience.

Samsung 65Q80a (900 Euro/753 GBP)

Second hand but only 3 months used
Warranty: 3 years
A bit expensive for me

As I said I'd like a 65q80a TV, but the 65q80a is already expensive and I don't know if it's worth the economic effort, and the Panasonic, although the price is good, I have my doubts.
The 55q80a seems to me to be very well priced right now, and the 55q85r is cheaper and maybe has similar quality (still with 3 years warranty).

I have a Chromecast so it is not very important the tv apps.

Please let me know if you have any other TV suggestions. I would find it very helpful.

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Look at like this. When the Q85R was new, the TV that is most like the Q80A now was the Q70R. The Q85R is a higher end TV. It has more dimming zones and higher brightness. It also has better anti-glare.

TVs don't change that much or get better in a few years to outclass older higher end models. The only reason to go for the new Q80A instead is for more modern connectivity (HDMI 2.1) and smart TV or if you want the bigger 65" version.

Panasonic shouldn't be contemplated at all, awful compared to others due to its lack of FALD and IPS panel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom