Many doubt about panel and model

Linx

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just read the thread talking about burn-in on OLEDs and rthings test. I was a little bit orientated on Sony Xh95 but now I'm still not able to decide :D

I have a Plasma right now (Panasonic) which did not suffer of burn in or similar.
What is worrying me is the fact that kids time to time put cartoons on pause (mostly sky, netflix and some youtube videos) sometimes for a couple of minutes sometimes for 30 minutes (tipically when dinner is ready). Right now I don't really care but buying a new TV and be worried about burn in is not something i like.
Of curse they watch TV for 2 hours per day at most.

Do you think I may have any problem with an OLED?

That said, talking about distance, models and so on. I'm 3 meters far more or less and my wife thinks that 65" is way too big so I have to consider a 55".
I understand it's better if the TV supports both hdr10+ and dolby vision. Is that right?

Talking about OLEDs, the models I'm considering are:

• Panasonic HZ980
  • LG55CX
  • Sony KD55A8
  • Panasonic GZ1000
If OLED would not be the right choice, from LED point of view:

• Samsung Q90R (it's very well priced)
  • Samsung Q95
  • Sony XH9505

Many thanks!

If you are intend to use integrated apps a screensaver will engage when not in use. It's more of a concern if you connect a device that does not use a screen saver. - Not sure if Sky does, perhaps you can test?

If you pause TV with a static logo from external device with no screensaver then it may cause a problem.

I understand it's better if the TV supports both hdr10+ and dolby vision. Is that right?
It is better, but not necessary because both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision carry a standard HDR10 layer that works with any TV.

If you come to the conclusion OLED is too risky because of your children then I'd definitely go for the Q90R if you have a good price, its better than the Q90T/Q95T they are selling this year with picture quality.

If its a case of OLED comparison, this may help you:

If you are intend to use integrated apps a screensaver will engage when not in use. It's more of a concern if you connect a device that does not use a screen saver. - Not sure if Sky does, perhaps you can test?

If you pause TV with a static logo from external device with no screensaver then it may cause a problem.

As far as i remember, everything they're watching have no static logos. I will have a look.
We will use mostly integrated apps for youtube and netflix. How do I test if sky does use a screen saver?

It is better, but not necessary because both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision carry a standard HDR10 layer that works with any TV.
Got it, so it's not mandatory. HDR10+ might be enough

If you come to the conclusion OLED is too risky because of your children then I'd definitely go for the Q90R if you have a good price, its better than the Q90T/Q95T they are selling this year with picture quality.
Q90R and T costs the same, 95 costs 50€ more.

If its a case of OLED comparison, this may help you:

It does! Thanks!
In case of OLED I think I would go with LG C series.

How do I test if sky does use a screen saver?
Pause it on your current TV and see if a screen saver comes on. Sometimes it will even dim after a set period. You can also search the Sky box settings for an option. If there are no logos pausing isn't a problem. With children you can also set a conservative sleep timer, for example for the TV to turn off after 30mins of remote control inactivity.
Q90R and T costs the same, 95 costs 50€ more.
The Q90R is a better TV with local dimming and HDR than the Q90T/Q95T.

The Q95T is its replacement, both have the one connect box. The Q90T lacks it.

The main upside to the newer models is not picture quality, but software (a year younger) and 1x HDMI 2.1 port. HDMI 2.1 is mostly good for gaming though.

Q90R is not available anymore 😭
What might be another option in the LED scenario?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom