Many complaints about Mp3 files

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by metroman2, May 2, 2007.

1. metroman2

metroman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have read many criticisms on the board about mp3 files and the poor quality many think they are but out of curiosity does anyone know how your average mp3 file compares to good old fashioned cassette?
    I ask the question because at one time you could pay quite a bit for a top end cassette player and whilst we knew their limitations we added them to our hi fi systems knowing that hiss would be a problem.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that mp3 has its place today as cassette did then. metroman.

2. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    MP3 is great. At decent bit rates. I don't think there's anyone on here who would deny MP3 has it's place, and at 320 kbps it does a pretty good impression of CD.

Obviously for proper listening you need to go for lossless, but MP3 for portable use is excellent.

3. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    ^ Agreed.

And hell, the thought of ever having to go back to cassette send shivers down my spine! Even back then they bugged me. It was not just the fact that there was loads of hiss/static, having to forward/rewind so much, or that you had to carry loads around it you wanted a good selection, no... it was the fact that they had such a relatively limited lifespan before degrading and/or being chewed up.

God bless MP3, some progress is priceless :)

4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I love the 'warm analog' sound of vinyl and cassette's:)
    My sony walkman with pre-recorded cassette can sound better that the majoroty of cd's released today, give me analog rather than loud, compressed and digitally clipped cd's/mp3's, because that is what is available today:thumbsdow

5. Satch

Satch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You wait. You'll make the same comment about MP3s in a few years time. Having to load them on to a playing device, search for them to play etc. :)

Future players will just be part of the brain. You'll think about what you want to listen to and it will play in your head. Not sure how noise cancelling will work though...

6. metroman2

metroman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    And we will have universal translators fitted in our ears so we can speak Klingon. metroman.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Completely agree. Most of music is MP3 encoded at 320Kbps and for portable use it is fine. Much better than cassettes imo, I never liked the cassette sound.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    That's an interesting comment.

I'll set my stall out. I think cassette was a fundamentally flawed technology. Why? The only device that would truly play back the recording properly was the one that recorded it. Unless you had a player that automatically detected the azimuth etc of the recording device you were very likely to hear a poor reproduction of the original. Add Dolby to the equation, well meaning as it was, and all was lost.

Properly encoded MP3s simply wipe the floor (an overused phrase I agree) with the vast majority of cassette recordings. High end Nakamichi's, with top end recording medium, played back on the original device excepted.

Now, if you are unhappy about the current penchant for over-recorded, over-normalised, saturated recordings of modern albums. That's a different matter. But it's nothing to do with the MP3 format itself. :)