1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

many cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by micks_address, Aug 12, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    hi folks,

I had to go through a rewire last night and its an experience i dont want to have to go through for a while! I had to put all my gear in a cabinet so the little fella (18 months) couldnt get at it. Prior to this he would climb up on top of the dvd player and sit on it and press the be jesus out of every button in site. Its all now nicely tucked away i a cabinet i bought from argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=102879&Trail=C$cip=16362>C$cip=16377>C$cip=16378&categoryId=16378

I have a vcr, x box, ps2 and dvd all feeding into my pj and amplifier. As you can imagine this means loads of cables - video/audio and power cables all dandgling out the back of the cabinet and plugged into exenstion leads/switch boxes.

When my wife saw all the cabling she asked me if it was safe to have all those cables so close together so i guess thats my question - is it safe to have power cables/video cables/audio cables all bundled together? I only have the power to the cables switched on when i'm using the gear - when i finish i switch off the power at the socket but its still a bit messy

Any opinions appreciated...

Cheers,
    Mick

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's safe to keep all of the cables bundled together but it isn't best practice sonically. It is best to segregate the power cables from the others to cut down on interference and if their paths have to cross it should be done at right angles. Not always easy to achive though

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Ian - would you reckon the best approach would be to cable tie all the power cables together in one bunch... then cable tie the audio cables in one bunch and then the video cables together?

4. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ahem....excuse me. Just curious to see if anyone has an answer?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,472
    micks address

In theory Yes in practice it can cause as much hassle as it does gains - its not easy getting a tidy layout at the back of a system; unless you have it rack mounted and include cable trays in the rack mounts.

One point to consider being the choice of Cable ties or a Velcro wrap - cable ties are a pain in the backside if you ever need to get a bit of kit back out of your system; with plenty of opportunity to damage a cable when your snipping ties.

I prefer to use Velcro strips to bundle cables.

Best regards

Joe

6. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joe,

Would it be better to at least ensure that the mains cables are kept separate from anything else?

Cheers,

Mark.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry - I missed this one :blush:

Mark - It is best to segregate the power cables from the others if possible. Not being the tidiest of people I just use string tied in a bow round bunches of cables and interconnects to keep them apart

8. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Get it all out of sight and forget about it!!!

9. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers.

Mark.