Manufactures are still ripping us off

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peopleIknow, Apr 12, 2001.

1. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just been checking out some US players. It's clear we are still paying over the odds. Panasonic have a new player due out soon with a feature list of long as your arm. It includes progressive scan, DVD Audio, DVD Video, MP3, DTS & Dolby Digital decoders. All for a RRP of $300.00 (£209.00) www.edigitalstop.com have it advertised for $ 239.95 (£167.00).

I don't suppose there's any chance that we will get a similar spec player for that price in the UK.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: DTSDOLBY ]

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dream on boisy :(

3. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot possibly expect prices in the UK to come down to the levels of the USA. The sheer size of the markets (for all goods) dictates that prices will always be lower there. Consumer power rules. That's not to say that UK prices are not high...they are...but to expect them to drop to US levels is unrealistic.

4. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought we were meant to be in a "single european market"now - and , the spin doctors tell us this is comparable in size to the US.

Pah !! - I agree ! - take a holiday , shove one in your luggage , and buy R1 DVDS - after all, we are not even allowed the luxury of Progressive scan in PAL land !!!.

Rant over.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most electonic items are 'Pan-European'; ever bought a piece of electronic equipment that hasn't had the instructions in half a dozen of more languages? And that's not even getting into all the language options listed in the back of DVD players manuals.

From Banana Plugs to Front Projectors we are being ripped off. Coincident'ly Banana Plugs and many, if not most, front projectors are non market specific. It's cheaper for Seleco or whoever to make their kit multi-standard/voltage than produce separate models for each market.

I challenge anyone to make a list of goods that are more expensive in the North American continent (pop: 300 mil) than in Europe (pop: ? - but GB + FR + D = 180 mil plus)

[ 23-04-2001: Message edited by: Confucius on Holiday ]

6. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just because the manual is in a dozen different languages doesn't mean the goods are suitable for sale in all those countries.
    Those extra power sockets on the back of amplifiers that have been mentioned recently are not generally fitted to UK models, although they are on almost all European models.

And the UK is not really in the single European market anyway. That would require the UK to join the Euro...

Believe me, you're a lot better off in the UK than going into your average AV shop in Germany.

7. RecoilUK

RecoilUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just say no to the euro

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The extra power socket on the back of my Denon is suitable for use with another (Denon) bit of kit. I can assure you that the majority of kit, especially DVD players, is indeed suitable for pan-European use. (Though I'd rather be State 51 than an integrated part of Europe)

9. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, with Dubya now in charge, I'm not sure being State 51 is such a good idea!

If you really think you're being ripped off (and I'm not saying I disagree with that) then the solution is clear. Manufacturers only ever reduce their prices under three circumstances:

1). They are not selling enough at the current price
    2). It's old stock they want to get rid of
    3). They are legally forced to do so

If you can find 2 it's a bargain, 3 isn't likely in the UK anytime soon, so you're left with 1. So..Stop buying the stuff... Prices will fall. Manufacturers charge what the market will bear (ie what they think they can get away with) and you can't really expect a business to do anything else. So stop buying, and prices will come down.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, to digress slightly, and it's only an opinion, I'd rather see an 'honest idiot' in charge than a 'slimey wise-ass' ;)