Manufacturers who support their smart TVs for more than 1 year

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by comadose, Aug 26, 2013.

1. comadose

comadose
    Previously MoJo-chan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Last year I bought a Panasonic GT50. I'm very happy with it, but as soon as the 2013 models appeared they stopped doing updates for it. Looking at the 2013 models I can't see any reason the older ones shouldn't get some of those updates. No app updates, no system software updates, no 4oD support on Freesat etc.

Which manufacturers support their TVs with updates for >1 year? My Samsung phone bought last year still gets updates, as does my laptop, and my tablet. I've noticed that TVs and STBs tend not to though.

2. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thread moved

Curly

3. MAX1210

MAX1210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The 2013 range of Panasonic Freesat TV's don't have 4oD - and the "main" apps you get on the 2013 range are on the 2012 range as well.

Samsung are the only TV brand to have an "app" for ITV Player & 4oD.

4. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    My Samsung D6900 is over 2 years old and still gets the odd app/smart hub update. Of course Netflix is the app I really want, but Samsung refuse to release it for my model.

There hasn't been a new firmware for a good few months, but to be honest, there's nothing that desperately needs fixing (and new Samsung firmwares are always to be treated with suspicion judging from other forum members experiences).

5. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    LG is is the only other one I can think of to a degree anyway, you still get occasional firmware updates but nothing major, no TV on the market is like say an AppleTV with extended support matched by software development & new features.

6. comadose

comadose
    Previously MoJo-chan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Samsung and LG only seem to offer updates that sell you stuff. No actual features as far as I can tell.

My Android phone gets regular new features. It isn't clear why Panasonic couldn't bring the 2013 app interface to 2012 model TVs, even if it is mostly just re-arranging things.

7. MAX1210

MAX1210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Your phone gets new features, or the apps you've downloaded are updated?

The majority of the apps on the Viera Connect platform are not from Panasonic, it's up to the developers to update them, maybe they're aren't as many bugs in the TV apps as there are on the Android/iOs apps (probably because they are a more simplified version with less features)

I don't know why they couldn't put the 2013 app interface on them 2012 series. I can understand them not putting the "My Home Screen" feature on, but not the new Viera Connect suite.

8. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Sharp do not care about smart tv or updates. They should be ashamed of calling it smart. I got 0 updates in 1 year and have only 6 apps which I've never heard of and youtube SD with no HD option and all this on their top spec 70 inch model

9. comadose

comadose
    Previously MoJo-chan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Panasonic apps are generally quite good. YouTube HD works well and the media player is good. iPlayer doesn't seem to be getting updates any more though.

My phone gets both system/OS and app updates.