1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manufacturers Warranty Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Apnomis, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi, I know this is technically a PC TFT not a LCD TV, but I'd imagine the answer to my question is the same in this instance...

The problem is that my TFT has got an annoying buzz about it that I first noticed in August, so I finally decided enough was enough and rang Samsung to get it repaired. Now the monitor was bought 5 months ago, but manufactured in May 2003. Now they didn't have a problem repairing it, however they said that I would be called by a third-party company called "Teleplant" who refurbish Samsung monitors. They said what happens is that I send my one to them for repair, and they send me back one they've already refurbished which would be the same model and same manufacturers date or newer.

Now is it me or could I complain about that? I'm not happy about sending my TFT away that I know has been looked after, I know has no dead pixels, I know has only been used moderately since May 2004 and having it replaced with a refurb monitor that for all I know could of been used since May 2003, have dead pixels, been abused by the previous owners, been used 24 hours a day in an office display, etc.

Now I may be being a little paranoid, but I'm not happy about being sent a refurb monitor which for all I know could of had a much more serious fault than the one I'm returning.

The Warranty card states that they will repair or replace it, but doesn't mention it being replaced by a refurb model. Could I insist that I have the same monitor I send in being returned after repair, or if the time scale of the repair is unreasonable (per the Consumer Proctection Act 2002) request a new one be sent in it's place? After all as it's under 6 months old the assumption is that, again thanks to the law change in 2002, the monitor was faulty at time of purchase.

What do you guys think ???

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've no idea what the law says on this (does it say repair or replace "with a new monitor"????) - but I'd not be happy with this. I'd tell them you want your monitor repaired and returned to you.

ZZ

3. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the new samsung monitors come with 3 yr manufactures warranty im sure it has always been that way though, but if its in its 1st 12 mnths then you can demand a new one from samsung or your old one repaired

4. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well I've spoken to them and they reckon this is standard practice. They said I can't expect a shiny new one as a replacement. They said "9 times out of 10" users have no problems with the replacements they receive, but if I did have a problem with it I could ring up and get it swapped out for another replacement. I made clear that if there was so much as one pixel out of place I would consider that a "lesser quality" replacement, which she accepted. She also said they are qualified engineers that fix them and they are thoroughly tested before being sent out. The 3 year warranty also still applies, so I'm ok until May 2007, I'll probably won't have it by then anyway.

Apparently it is complicated to repair a TFT and would take too long to wait for my own, they would also not be able to do it on site. Mine will just be fixed at their leisure and eventually get sent out to someone else when they return one. So I guess I'm just going to have to accept it, but if their is even the tiniest little scratch on the one I get, I'll be straight on the phone and getting very ****ty with them. I don't intend to accept anything less then an identical replacement, or a better model!