Question Manufacturer with best network streaming and Android integration?

9u775

My current Onkyo receiver is on its last legs, having served admirably for the past 7 years. The HDMI board (which died once before and was replaced two years into ownership) is finally giving up again. Placing a daughter board directly above the amplifier wasn't an ideal thermal design, but I digress...

I'm looking for a new receiver and am guessing the difference in sound between manufacturers in a given price bracket will be negligible in an untreated room, so I'm planning to base my purchase decision on network / streaming functionality. I'd like to be able to stream MP3 and FLAC files from local network shares and ideally online streaming services like Spotify using Android devices for control.

TL;DR Could anyone recommend an AV Receiver manufacturer / series with emphasis on network streaming and good Android control integration?

Thanks!

mtenga

Distinguished Member
The Sony 1060 is android friendly and allows you to cast directly to it. Spotify connect built in.

To be honest most mid-ranged network amps will do what you ask. I've got Denon but you could equally look to Yamaha, pioneer etc.. I have some FLAC on a PC and use the Denon App on both iOS and android to access it. The receiver sees the DLNA server (serviio) though I've never tried to access a share.

9u775

Thanks for the information. I'll look for reviews of each manufacturer's respective Android apps before making a decision.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
You can always look at something like bubble upnp. It's a popular android app and allows control of your devices and sources.

9u775

Thanks, I did actually play with BubbleUPNP on a Raspberry Pi connected to my old Onkyo via HDMI. It wasn't bad, although it didn't pass the girlfriend test because controlling the music required two devices (Onkyo remote to switch input / change vol and Android phone to find / play music). With the new receiver I'm hoping for a 'one device to rule them all' scenario, or failing that I might have to look into Logitech's current Harmony offerings.

Basinguy

I can only comment on Yamaha, owning an av amp from them, the android app is fantastic, it lets you change most common settings (not main setup but things like zone control etc) and it lets you control volume, input, outputs, browser for streaming etc, pretty much everything you could want

9u775

I can only comment on Yamaha, owning an av amp from them, the android app is fantastic, it lets you change most common settings (not main setup but things like zone control etc) and it lets you control volume, input, outputs, browser for streaming etc, pretty much everything you could want
Thanks, I'll definitely keep Yamaha in mind. Nice speakers, BTW. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom