1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manufacturer (i.e. Sony) Specific Windows XP CDs?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by monkeynuts, Jul 6, 2005.

1. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just a quick query about XP Pro/Home installation CDs and licenses.

I recently bought a second hand Vaio for a friend, it came with a fresh install of XP-Pro using the Sony XP Pro license on it's base, but came with no XP CD.....would a reformat/re-installation require a specific Sony XP CD, or will any standard XP pro CD work with that license?

Am a bit worried as a Dell License that came with a shuttle i bought off the forums only works with a Dell XP installation CD (which a friend luckily has).

Is there anywhere to buy these specific CDs, preferably very cheap (license cost enough as it is!)? Or a way to use these manufacture specific licenses with standard XP CDs?

Apologies for all the questions but am very confused with it all!!!

Cheers

Sam

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hard to say, it depends on the license the manufactuer has with M$ as to whetherthey use generic product keys or tailored ones like Dell does.

You should have received a 'recovery' CD which can re-install the system as it was when it left the factory, if you don't have that then all I can suggest is to call Sony support (if it exists) and ask.