manually set ip address changed (not by me)

leecavturbo

i set my routers ip address manually. but it changed and all of the dhcp ranges when i connected another modem to it. what makes that happen?
how can i prevent that happening again?

dspit1664

I think what your describing is your ISPs router is still acting as DHCP server. You need to login to it and even though it can still be dhcp you should be able to set certain connecting devices to always use certain ip addresses. This is exactly what I have done with my NAS in my ISPs router.
Hth

leecavturbo

Regardless of dhcp from any source before the router manually set IP should remain exactly that. just to recap I had a isp modem with LAN port this connects to my routers wan port. I had that routers IP addresses manually set and all operate as expected the manual IP remained as set regardless of reboots or expired/renewed leases.
I have now removed the modem and connected a bridge in the same manner but doing so changed the IP address of the router.

dspit1664

leecavturbo said:
Regardless of dhcp from any source before the router manually set IP should remain exactly that. just to recap I had a isp modem with LAN port this connects to my routers wan port. I had that routers IP addresses manually set and all operate as expected the manual IP remained as set regardless of reboots or expired/renewed leases.
I have now removed the modem and connected a bridge in the same manner but doing so changed the IP address of the router.

So,
why were you using an additional router ? I a guessing you wanted more connections/ports ? And your now replaced it with a hub/switch because it basically does the same thing ?

And in so doing are you saying that the ipaddress provided via the ISP router/modems LAN port has changed ?

leecavturbo

the router provides wifi and ports yes.
no the router is still used. its just now being fed internet from a bridge rather than a modem

dspit1664

May I ask why and you just don't use a switch ? off your ISPs router?
When you say modem you mean router, if not why are you using a modem ?

leecavturbo

because i don't have a switch or need one.
no i mean modem. that's how you get internet from your isp.
some routers have modems built in some don't. mine doesn't even if it did it would not connect to my service type

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom