Manually changing framerate of my desktop...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mallett94, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Mallett94

Mallett94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi there guys. Recently I have been reading and learning a lot about framerates and refresh rates etc just out of my own personal interest. This was mainly driven by the knowledge that BT Sport Ultra HD in the UK is broadcast at 4K but more importantly imo, 50fps progressive.

Anyhow, in the UK, tv is broadcast at 50Hz, so 25fps, mostly interlaced. If I am watching say BBC iPlayer, or ITV Player, or All4, or the BT Sport online player on my computer, should I manually change the framerate output of my PC to 50 HZ. I ask this becasue from my understanding, 25fps tv in the uk is shown on tvs by repeating each frame twice to fit the 50Hz refresh rate. If I am watching 25fps content on my 60Hz pc monitor, surely that just isn't right and there is going to be some form of juddering/jerkiness somewhere by the pc trying to perform some from of pulldown?

I use a program called KODI for a lot of media, and in the settings of this I have it set to always change the monitor refresh rate to match the content. I feel that this is a mechansim that should be built into all of these online live/catch up to services.

However I don't know if I am right or wrong and no amount of googling is helping me decide if I should manually change my refresh rate or not when waching something not via KODI.

Thanks in advance, but I have been researching this for so long!

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,413
    iPlayer et al is unlikely to be delivering interlaced content but I don't know what frame rate they're operating at.

Try it and see whether you notice any difference.

A big issue with what you're trying to do is that not all monitors will run at other refresh rates. Just because it'll accept a 50hz signal doesn't mean it's displaying 50 frames per second. Outputting 50hz may just be transferring the pulldown from your playback software to your monitor's electronics.

3. Mallett94

Mallett94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Thanks for replying!

I am using a TV/Monitor and I know that it can run at 23/24/25/29/30/59/60 Hz due to the edid info from the PC, and also from the display adjusting when using KODI.

This is the strange thing, I cannot find anywhere some information about what framerate these on demand services and live player streams are using. Quite crazy really I think.

4. 200p

200p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    For film-like shows that's basically correct (though TVs aren't usually 50Hz these days, normally >=100 Hz, but through HDMI it will normally be 50Hz). But for live action (such as sport) it will not repeat each frame to get to 50Hz. With most live action (sport etc. on terrestrial channels) in 50i, each field will be from a different point in time (a new picture every 1/50th of a second not every 1/25th of a second) - so the picture updates twice as often as a 25p film (where a film in 25 fps will normally have been sped up from approx 24 fps).