Manual subwoofer integration with main speakers

MarcelHold

Standard Member
Hi there!

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for manually refining the integration of my sub with my main speakers.

My mains are B&W 603 s2 (2018 model), the sub is my trusty little BK XLS200 MkII.
What is the best crossover frequency to set on the sub? The -3dB point for the 603s is at 48Hz, with 29Hz at -6dB.
I'm using the 603s unbunged (if that's a word...).

They are both being driven by a Marantz PM8005, with the sub being fed a stereo signal from the Pre Out of the amp.
I've not hooked up the high level input as the current setup is a temporary one and I didn't fancy hooking that up at the moment...

The room is roughly 4.3x4.4m, with a sloping ceiling 2.4 up to around 4.25 left to right (that's approx 14'1x14'5 and 7'10 to 13'11)

I don't have any fancy room measuring or EQ equipment at my disposal...

Any thoughts welcome!

sebna

Maybe more experienced users will have different opinion but IMHO without taking measurements you are shooting in the dark. You can try few things but ultimately you will be mostly wasting your time.

Edit: so there is no Audyssey?

MarcelHold

Standard Member
Maybe more experienced users will have different opinion but IMHO without taking measurements you are shooting in the dark. You can try few things but ultimately you will be mostly wasting your time.

Edit: so there is no Audyssey?
Nope, the amp is a 2 channel hifi amp and it's not on the list for the app, so it wouldn't work anyway.

rccarguy2

Pretty much trial and error by listening, altering volume and crossover. Too high crossover and not only is suitable locatable but also frequency overlap and doubling. Too high volume and sub becomes audible over mains.

Antimode 8033 stereo may be worthwhile down the line as well

Oh phase adjustment as well

Last edited:

L4_Isoside

Download spectroid app on your phone, run some test tones from YouTube through your speakers at the cross over point and adjust until you get an even output. Might not be the best way to do it but without any test kit I can't think of any other way.

Dolus

vm1451

I've got DM603s with a Strata III sub. Ports in the 603s are bunged, crossover in the amp set to 120Hz and the passive drivers in the 603's have been removed. The remaining space was closed off with some blanking discs that I made and are clamped into position with the existing clamps.
Still experimenting a bit but have made huge strides with the sub intigration.

Attachments

• In-place.jpg
    In-place.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 25

vm1451

I've got DM603s with a Strata III sub. Ports in the 603s are bunged, crossover in the amp set to 120Hz and the passive drivers in the 603's have been removed. The remaining space was closed off with some blanking discs that I made and are clamped into position with the existing clamps.
Still experimenting a bit but have made huge strides with integration of the sub.

Tom @ PSA

AVForums Sponsor
If you have a spl meter this works well,

Tom V.

Ultrasonic

What is the best crossover frequency to set on the sub? The -3dB point for the 603s is at 48Hz, with 29Hz at -6dB.

I'd start with the sub crossover frequency set to it's lowest value, which I'd guess may be 40 Hz?

roscopervis

Download spectroid app on your phone, run some test tones from YouTube through your speakers at the cross over point and adjust until you get an even output. Might not be the best way to do it but without any test kit I can't think of any other way.
This is the best way. If you have a PC, you can download REW and use just the room simulator to get the basic room physics set out and use it to play about with locations.

Once you have done that, you can do some simple but effective sound analysis using Spectroid (on Android) and a frequency generator app like Frequency Generator (on Android) to run sweeps from 15 to 250 hz over 15 seconds looped and sit in your MLP with Spectroid analysing that range (sub off, no crossover; sub on, no crossover; sub on, crossover at initial crossover; sub on, playing about with settings).

From this, you will be able to fine the optimum room location, find nulls and peaks, find what phase is optimal at MLP and find what the room decides is the best choice for an effective crossover.

Don’t make the speaker play too low, it and the amp have to work very hard to do that and the sub will do it better so it will probably by at a higher frequency than you think. That’s ok though, trust your ears as well as the readings as it should sound good.

Dolus

If you do try try the Spectroid app there is a video tutorial on using the the app by Home Theater Guru plus the sweeps to use with it.

cns

Novice Member
I tried and failed to integrate a monolith+ with a Yamaha as500, due to the added delay from the sub internal amplification causing the sound to be out of sync, phase failed to correct this.

I eventually moved to an avr, but had also considered a minidsp.

L4_Isoside

I tried and failed to integrate a monolith+ with a Yamaha as500, due to the added delay from the sub internal amplification causing the sound to be out of sync, phase failed to correct this.

I eventually moved to an avr, but had also considered a minidsp.
One of my 3 subs is a monolith and I have to add delay to help integrate it!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom