Manual Speaker/AVR Calibration

techdiver

Hi,

I have had a Denon AVR-X2200W for a few years now along with a set of Monito Audio Mass 5.1 with a couple of JBL Control One's for Atmos (ceiling mounted).

I've re-ran audyssey again after a reshuffle of speaker positions after a new TV purchase and now find myself tinkering the whole time as I just can't get it "right". I find the sub is set way too low to the point of making very little difference so I just crank it up a bit but I got to thinking about attempting manual calibration myself. Below are the steps I've used.

Set volume to 0dB.
I go to Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tone Start
I measure from my main seating position and calibrate each speaker to 75dB. (I'm just using an app on my phone. I know these are 100% accurate.)
Are these steps correct?

One setting I'm having trouble with is the sub. It doesnt register as high with the meter and if I set it to 75dB is way too high and rumbles all the time. I've read an article on Digital Trends that states that there are conversion charts available online for this, but I couldn't find any.

Any advise would be appreciated.

techdiver

Just another point on this. At 0dB master volume I cannot get the 2 JBL speaker down to 75dB. At the max offset of -12dB on the receiver they are still around 80 - 81dB.

Should I reconfigure all the speakers at a lower master volume?

The levels I had to set for 75dB across all speaker were:
Front L: -9.0db
Center: -12.0db
Front R: -10.0db
Surround R: -11.5.db
Surround L: -10.5.db
Top Front R: -12.0db (81dB)
Top Front L: -7.0db (81dB)

Top Front and right seem like a missive discrepancy. They are the same JBL Control One model. I do notice that the test tone sounds higher pitched on the Top Left than the Top Right. the are equally spaced from the main seating position also. I left Top Left at 81dB for balance.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Set the Control ones level to about -5db in the level configurations. Now start the test tome and lower the master volume until you get an SPL measurement of 75 for the JBL speakers. Make a note of the master volume and use this as reference as opposed to using 0db.

Didn't you get an error meassage while setting the levels using the Audyssey calibration? What was the level set to by Audyssey for the JBL speakers?

No, you wont get very accurate sub level measurements unless you spend a small fortune on a pro grade SPL meter. It is notoriously difficult to get accurate SPL measurement of low frequency audio.

All your levels seem rather low. Are you in a particularly small room or very close to the speakers?

I'd suggest the JBL speakers are not the only speakers set too high. Your centre for example looks like it may not be set incorrectly if set to -12db?

Last edited:

techdiver

Set the Control ones level to about -5db in the level configurations. Now start the test tome and lower the master volume until you get an SPL measurement of 75 for the JBL speakers. Make a note of the master volume and use this as reference as opposed to using 0db.

Didn't you get an error meassage while setting the levels using the Audyssey calibration? What was the level set to by Audyssey for the JBL speakers?

No, you wont get very accurate sub level measurements unless you spend a small fortune on a pro grade SPL meter. It is notoriously difficult to get accurate SPL measurement of low frequency audio.

All your levels seem rather low. Are you in a particularly small room or very close to the speakers?

Thanks very much for the reply. I'll give that a go.
My room is small. (distance attached)
20210116_161248.jpg

I had no errors during Audyssey. The JBL were set at - 7.0 dB and -7.5 dB.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd still expect the levels to be clossr to 0db than at the negative extreme of the adjustment range.

Are the levels you quoted those arrived at yourself using an SPL meter? What do you get if using the Audyssey mic and the auto calibration?

Something is amiss with your levels.

techdiver

Below is Audyssey results.

20210116_161303.jpg

With these I can't go above - 15dB on master volume or our ears would explode.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If those levels are as a result of the Audyssey calibration then they are more akin to what I'd expect relative to your speakers and the distance you are from them. You are not levelling the speakers correctly when you are levelling them manually.

I'd put more trust in the Audyssey calibration than the measurements you wre attaining with the SPL meter.

Maybe turn down the sub a notch via its own volume dial and try running the calibration one more time. This isn't essential though.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom