Manual Screens - how to pull them down?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spencer_uk, Mar 18, 2006.

1. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    This is a bit of a newbie question - with a Manual screen, e.g. a Beamax R, how do you pull them down?

The reason I ask is that I want to mount mine quite high up, above a picture rail in my room which I can just about touch (the Mrs cant though). If there is a cord to the side of the screen, like on a normal blind, that you can pull to make the screen go down / up then that would make it easy. Similarly just a cord dangling from the bottom of the screen would also work. However if I need to reach up to the underside of the case each time then that would be a pain.

I considered an electric screen but I don't think there is much need and I don't want to call in an electrician.

Can you recommend me a screen? Also should I go 4:3 or 16:9 - I will mostly use it to watch DVDs and play games using my Hitachi PJ-TX200.

Thanks,
    Spencer.

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Just like a roller blind. All the manual screens I've owned came supplied with a chord. If yours doesn't come with one you can have one of mine if you like.

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    If you go for electric you won't need an electician if you can wire a plug!

If you have the money then electric tab tensioned is the best way to go. They're expensive but any tab tensioned screen owner will tell you the extra cash was worth it. Assuming you have a half decent pj you should look into it if you can get the cash together.

4. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks Timmy. When you say your screen had a cord - was that one that just dangled off the bottom of the screen or one that fed into the side of the screen casing and allowed you to wind the screen down (like on a venetian blind)?

Also when you say an electical tension screen - how much cash are they?

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    It's just like a bit of string that hangs of the handle in the middle of the screen. Pull it and it will pull the screen down which will then lock into place like a roller blind.

Tab tensioned screens vary greatly in price but at a guess I would say you would be looking at £500 minimum running up to thousands for something like a Stewart screen. I think my Da-Lite 106" screen retails somewhere between 2 and 2 and a half grand but I bought mine second hand as that sort of money was well out of my range! I certainly could't go back to an ordinary screen now though!

6. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    cheers Timmy. Truth be told, my budget is <500 so I will take a look out there. Anyone got any good recommendations for a manual screen?

7. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I would try vertically first and if that doesn't work, maybe try horizontally.