Manual Screen suggestions for a Panasonic AX100E

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by P Adams, Apr 25, 2007.

1. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I have just purchased a Panasonic AX100E and am delighted with it. I am now trying to purchase a permanent pull-down screen, which will be fixed to the ceiling. I have tried a Sapphire 74” pull-up portable screen but my wife feels a fixed screen on the ceiling will be better

We tried a Jessops tripod screen I have at work to see the difference between a matt white surface and the reverse, which is grey/silver. I must admit the grey was in my mind slightly better in that the blacks looked deeper and had more detail in them

I am considering a Sapphire Parklane 77” manual pull-down (matt white surface), a Projecta ProCinema 82” (matt white surface or high contrast grey surface) and a Projecta SlimCinema version of the above, which only comes in matt white

We normally watch in the evening with two dimmable wall lights on very low or a small lamp. The room is fairly bright with a patio door and two windows but the curtains cut out a fair amount of light. I am not that bothered though as the AX100E is very bright even on low-power lamp mode

Has anyone got this kind of set-up or offer any advice on a possible screen for a PJ newbie!

Many thanks

Paul

2. spookydarren

spookydarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi and welcome to the board I have to confess that I won't be any help on screens as I was also after advice but I have also just ordered the Panny so wanted to ask you about that. It states that it can do 1080P but it has a 720 panel so does it scale up to 1080P, any idea? thanks, Darren.

3. Dave163

Dave163

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you search my posts on the AX100 user thread under LCD/DLP PJs you'll see that I'm using a £9.99 B&Q silver-grey blackout blind. To be honest I'm starting to think it's a bit too dark and might swap it for a white blind, though I suspect bulb wear has something to do with it; I'm in economy but previously was only using dark room settings but now tend to go for light room even with the lights off. That said it's much much cheaper than a "proper" screen and can always be recycled as a blind in another room if you don't like it...

Dave

4. spookydarren

spookydarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I didn't think of that, good idea and at a tenner well worth a go, thanks

5. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Hi Guys

Darren
    The AX100E as you say has a 720 panel, so any resolution above that gets downscaled to 720

I have my Pace V3 Sky+ box linked to a Panasonic EX85 DVD recorder and the DVD recorder pumps out upscaled video via a QED HDMI 10m cable to the PJ. I have tried 1080i setting in the DVD recorders set-up menu and 720p and I think the 720p looks the best, especially with Sky Sports etc

Dave
    Thanks for the advice on the roller blind. Sounds a good shout, although my wife thinks she would like a proper boxed screen on the ceiling so I won't argue with a wife who actually likes Home Cinema!

If anyone else has any views on the different screens I mentioned I would be most grateful...

Many thanks

Paul

6. happyhomer

happyhomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I've got a Sapphire Park Lane 92" manual screen with my Sony HS60. The PQ is fine, although I do need to light-control the room (the Sony is darker than the Panny, so shouldn't be a problem for you). The great thing about the screen is the adjustable brackets, so nice and easy to fix into joists without compromising the position of the screen (I'm amazed that other manufacturers in this price bracket haven't followed suit). Also the screen is very unobtrusive when rolled-up (assuming you have a white/pale ceiling); the case is far neater-looking than many others around, and you can easily remove the Sapphire logo to clean-up its appearance further.
    The slow-retract mechanism is a nice thing to have as well, although it can take a couple of attempts to get the screen to lock in position when pulling it down. However I think there is some kind of ratchet mechanism in the screen which locks the screen in the same place each time as I don't have to use the lens-shift very often.
    Another thing, my wife is very happy with how it looks:D
    The 2 year warranty is a good added extra, and TBH after that period I'd probably consider replacement as the screen wasn't over-pricey in the first place. Definitely recommended (and no, I don't work for them!)

7. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Hi Happyhomer

Sapphire 77" sounds a good option as CVS Media sell this for about £85.00. How are the brackets adjustable? We will have to put the screen on the ceiling about 1m into the room to avoid it dropping on a 42" Toshiba TV!

I will have to go into the loft this weekend to find out if my joists are in a good position for this or I suppose put another joist section in to allow exact positioning

What do you think?

Paul

8. happyhomer

happyhomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The Park Lane screens actually have channels running the full length of the screen casing, allowing you to fit the brackets to your joists, then fix the screen to the brackets. It is explained here:

http://www.projectorscreen.co.uk/pp...on_Screen_-_1704mm_by_958mm_16by9_Format.html

If your joists run parallel to your screen there's no massive benefit, although it is still easier to put up than a screen where you have to drive the screws in whilst you're holding up the screen as well. If your joists run at right-angles to the screen then all you need to do is to locate the 2 joists that fall within the width of the screen that are reasonably close the the ends of where the casing will be (based on where you want the screen to be). You then fix the brackets to these joists, and clip the screen to the brackets. Hopefully I've explained myself clearly, but it's Poet's day and I'm demob happy!

9. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    A wonderful explanation happyhomer. I can't wait to get home and check out my joists!:thumbsup:

Paul

10. Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    At £100 for the 92" version I think I may have found my next screen - cheers folks :D