Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Manual Scheimpflug Adjustment

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Caveat, May 18, 2003.

1. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having finally got my Barco 800 onto the ceiling - thanks Roland for the invaluable advice - I noticed the Barco Lens program gives values for the Scheimpflug Adjustment.
    I know electrostatic focus is less accurate at the edges but my image does get very soft - difficult to read Windows Clock at 800x600 onto a 16:9 1.8m wide screen.
    For my 15 degree downward angle and distance the thicknesses specified are quite significant - 0.43mm (h) and 2.16mm (v) - lord only knows whats in there now but I do have a micrometer so I guess I could find out.

Are these simple shims (washers?) or must they be specific Barco parts - if so are they available for a BD800?

Does it require more than removing the lenses and packing the outsde edges with the new shims?

Do the Red and Blue get horizontal and vertical shims while the green just gets vertical adjustment?

Are the values quoted in addition to a factory setting or are they total thickness?

Is it worth the effort or should I just enjoy what is after all a very satisfying image?

Any assistance/advice welcome - even if its dont fix wot aint broke

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Barco are a brilliant R&D company and love to specify to the nanometer which is part of the reason their kit is built so well.

It is possible to build adjustable schieflug into the data 800 / 808 projector by using spring washers between the lens and the backing plate.
    In the past I have found it nessary to keep a foil wrapped KitKat in my took kit. both for nutritional value but the fact you can fold the aluminium foil to the thickness required.

In my experience the values form the lens program get you close but a bit of fidling will still be required.

3. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh precision chocolate - nothing like it.

Thanks for the help, I'll start at the values from the Lens app and see how it improves.

PS The micra looked just a little smaller then the barco when I got it on the ceiling - Genie lifts ... YAY

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Be careful!
    Roland gave me this tip as well, but it has been nothing but trouble.
    It made no improvement to my corner focus at all.
    In fact everytime i use my projector, i get drips of chocolate coming down from the ceiling.
    Also my picture has started to go brown. :(

Maybe i should have used a different chocolate bar?

Would a fruit and nut been a better option?

Mind you it has been a great hit with the ladies!
    Everytime i fire up the projector with the window open, i get women knocking on the door asking can they come in.
    .:devil: :rotfl: :laugh:

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Doh!
    Just re-read Rolands post, maybe it would have worked better if i had taken the chocolate out of the wrapper first!:p

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Paul you need to mix with people again. You are staying in too much.