Manual record mimics a dead or live pixel effect

HowPts

Standard Member
This may sound barking mad but here goes. Is you set a manual record on any channel say ITV (103) when you play back the recording about a quarter of the way down centrally on the picture a video smeared white pixel appears on dark backgrounds or black on light backgrounds or, it is NOT the TV and it doesn’t matter if you use component or HDMI outputs, normal recordings are perfect, live pause also perfect, I normally record the Bill manually on Thursday’s at 8pm and it’s there in ads and in the programme, I would really appreciate if someone could try a manual record for say 2 minuets and see if it is just my receiver, if it is I will be totally flummoxed as to why, I promise this is not a wind up.

CaffeineJunkie

This may sound barking mad but here goes. Is you set a manual record on any channel say ITV (103) when you play back the recording about a quarter of the way down centrally on the picture a video smeared white pixel appears on dark backgrounds or black on light backgrounds or, it is NOT the TV and it doesn’t matter if you use component or HDMI outputs, normal recordings are perfect, live pause also perfect, I normally record the Bill manually on Thursday’s at 8pm and it’s there in ads and in the programme, I would really appreciate if someone could try a manual record for say 2 minuets and see if it is just my receiver, if it is I will be totally flummoxed as to why, I promise this is not a wind up.

You're not mad. It's a well known issue. A quick search gave the following.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612736&highlight=dead+pixel
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603252&highlight=dead+pixel
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543654&highlight=dead+pixel
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347094&highlight=dead+pixel

HowPts

Standard Member
Wow incredible many thanks CaffeineJunkie I know I should of done a search first but I thought it was so unusual I never imagined it was so common, someone must of reported it to sky, maybe it is fixable with a software update unless it’s a hardware issue, the only real difference I can see with a manual record is the parental pin

chambeaj

Only saw this problem for the first time a week ago when watching a recording of 'Deathnote' on Film 4.

Only channel affected for me is Film 4 (and Film 4 +1).

Consider when this thread was created I'm surprised the fault has not been fixed as yet.

6022tivo

I think it is when you hit the blue button to KEEP the recording, or LOCK the recording...

Don't know if the NEW firmware EPG on the thomsons has it fixed?

Jaycee Dove

I think it is when you hit the blue button to KEEP the recording, or LOCK the recording...

Don't know if the NEW firmware EPG on the thomsons has it fixed?

I had not tried a manual recording on the new Pace HD box so just did and the missing pixel is STILL there. And it remains even if you set the recording to keep as per the above suggestion. Sadly.

The new Pace has cured quite a few of the old Thomson glitches - even using the old EPG. For instance, no fuzzy text on rolling news tickers, no FFW smoothness issues and you do not get SD playout when going into Anytime from an SD channel and trying to play an HD programme with the box set to auto.

So these are all Thomoson hardware faults not on the Pace.

However, the missing pixel on manual record is presumably a software flaw and still apparently common to all boxes, old and new.

Whether the new EPG cures it only a 300E Thomson box owner can tell us.

The new Pace has cured quite a few of the old Thomson glitches - even using the old EPG. For instance, no fuzzy text on rolling news tickers, no FFW smoothness issues and you do not get SD playout when going into Anytime from an SD channel and trying to play an HD programme with the box set to auto.

It might save you some time if you just put the above into your signature;)

HDCriticalFan

Eh????

I am sure that means something very profound but you lost me.

I think that Lee12 is being just a teeny bit sarcastic there. He is implying that he sees you posting this comment many times.

The "signature" he refers to is the bit at the bottom of each post - which, as it happens, you don't have. It's the bit about "my criticalness" in mine.

Actually, after taking his smiley into consideration, I think he means it in a friendly way. :smashin:

Regards

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
The first time I saw the dead pixel I was distraught until I watched another program and it was gone. Only on reading this yesterday did I see the link with manual recording. And it has been going on for years! Not visible on BBC test card though as there is a conveniently placed black box on the spot!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom