Manual pull down screen in front of window - bad idea?

Ki11ingTime

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking for areas in my house to mount a projector screen. The biggest room I've got measures just under 7 meters long. The only problem is, there are windows at the end of this room (both ends).

I can't put a fixed screen over the windows, it would block too much light during the day when the projector is not in use. I could mount a fixed screen on the adjacent wall, but the distance is not so great, so the image would be smaller.

As a compromise, I thought about mounting a manual roll up screen from the ceiling, in front of the windows. I've found a beamax R series 277 x 156 for 250 quid, which is within my budget, and I've checked the projector will fill the screen at this distance.

I've no experience at all with screens,, I've been using the wall up till now. Can anyone see a problem with a manual screen in front of windows?

Of course, I'll keep the curtains pulled and the windows shut while watching, but what about:

1: air currents from the radiator under the window? Could cause the screen to move about?

2. because I'm mounting this from the ceiling, I'll have to stand the screen away from the ceiling, so the image is at head height while sat down. Does anyone make stand-offs for this, or do I just use lengths of chain from hooks in the ceiling?
I imagine if I use chains to lower the screen assembly (permanently), the screen will take ages to stop moving around after I've pulled it down....

Any ideas, or is this asking for trouble?

Thanks.

I have been considering putting a screen in front of a window aswell so it will be interesting to watch this thread to see if any disadvantages are flagged up.

If you place your screen above a heater/radiator or infront of a sun-hit window, this will warm the surface material. It's known that operating/handling the screen during this period is the time where the surface stretches the most and on some screens, it can cause rippling. Many of the cheaper screens will start rippling sooner due to type of weave and resins used. If you do place your manual screen above a heater or infront of a sun-hit window, try avoiding operating the screen during this period, as it's bound to sustain the surface lifespan.

If you chose a Beamax R-Series or Da-Lite Model C, each has a very flat surface and comes with a 2 year surface warranty againast any defects inluding ripples/waves which is rare to find on manual screens. (This is why these two are my top recommendations on manual screens).

All manual screens distort in the end. It's literally a case of how much you use it, location and temperature. Some may take years to ripple and other just a few months.
The multi layer surfaces as seen on Beamax, Da-Lite, Draper and Panoview (to mention just a few) are the type of surfaces that will last longer due to the weave and professsional surface resins.
Hope this helps.

i've got a blind that i close first, and then pull down the manual screen, it's a grandview only been up few weeks, but it's worth noting that it's not unreasonable to do

I had a manual pull down in front of a bay window but wanted a better quality screen so went for a Stewart firehawk fixed screen which now sits there permanently. Ive got a pull cord at the side if i want to open the curtains so its not difficult to do. But to be honest i tend to leave the curtains shut.

I do live on my own though so i dont get any grief about it.:)

this is the one ive been looking at

http://interactive-av.co.uk/projection-screen.php?pid=9401

is there any others to consider ?

83" is the perfect size for me, i too have a recessed window area, in actual fact there isnt massive window there but my main issue is just how high the screen may be. iam mounting the pj on the rear wall but at just shy of roof heigh so firing down onto screen. advantage of a pull down is hardly any down fire so great image but of course then i have to bend my neck to look up at the screen.
ok so the roof isnt exactly tall but the sofa`s we sit on will exagerate the difference i feel and a sore neck may be experienced.

do you compensate by getting the widest screen possible in the knowlage it will pull down further ? or is there some chains or lowered braket that it could mount onto :confused:

this is the one ive been looking at

http://interactive-av.co.uk/projection-screen.php?pid=9401

is there any others to consider ?

83" is the perfect size for me, i too have a recessed window area, in actual fact there isnt massive window there but my main issue is just how high the screen may be. iam mounting the pj on the rear wall but at just shy of roof heigh so firing down onto screen. advantage of a pull down is hardly any down fire so great image but of course then i have to bend my neck to look up at the screen.
ok so the roof isnt exactly tall but the sofa`s we sit on will exagerate the difference i feel and a sore neck may be experienced.

do you compensate by getting the widest screen possible in the knowlage it will pull down further ? or is there some chains or lowered braket that it could mount onto :confused:

The Beamax R-100 manual screens pull down a lot further than the standard lengths. Maybe this is an option for you?
I feared the same when I purchased my own home cinema screen. It wasn't untill it was installed I found the drop was actually perfect for viewing.
We think about the height the screen will be fixed at and our brains tend to make us feel this is the viewing height. In actual viewing, we look more at the centre of the screen than the top.
Most modern screens have at least a 30cm top black border and I've installed 100's. It's very rare to use the full drop length of the screen unless you have very high ceilings or your sitting on the floor.

Hope this helps.?

Hi,

I've been looking for areas in my house to mount a projector screen. The biggest room I've got measures just under 7 meters long. The only problem is, there are windows at the end of this room (both ends).

I can't put a fixed screen over the windows, it would block too much light during the day when the projector is not in use. I could mount a fixed screen on the adjacent wall, but the distance is not so great, so the image would be smaller.

As a compromise, I thought about mounting a manual roll up screen from the ceiling, in front of the windows. I've found a beamax R series 277 x 156 for 250 quid, which is within my budget, and I've checked the projector will fill the screen at this distance.

I've no experience at all with screens,, I've been using the wall up till now. Can anyone see a problem with a manual screen in front of windows?

Of course, I'll keep the curtains pulled and the windows shut while watching, but what about:

1: air currents from the radiator under the window? Could cause the screen to move about?

2. because I'm mounting this from the ceiling, I'll have to stand the screen away from the ceiling, so the image is at head height while sat down. Does anyone make stand-offs for this, or do I just use lengths of chain from hooks in the ceiling?
I imagine if I use chains to lower the screen assembly (permanently), the screen will take ages to stop moving around after I've pulled it down....

Any ideas, or is this asking for trouble?

Thanks.

I've got exactly the same problem myself. I asked a while ago about putting a screen above a radiator and was told it was a no-no.

Have a read. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753661

What's the general consensus on optimum viewing height?

Cheers

I've had my pull down screen for nearly 4 years now, yes it is getting to the point of needing replacing, but it's in a room 5 m long, 1m of which is a 5 window north facing curved bay and the screen is mounted on the window side of the lintel that holds the ceiling into the bay so it can't be seen. My PJ is ceiling mounted at the far end and 1 get a near 100" picture. In a room this size it can be a bit much at times making me dizzy on fast moving scenes, i have double lined curtains which like someone above i hardly open anymore, I too am on my own so it only must look strange to passers by. Thers no radiator in the bay and it's the best place i've ever put it.

Edit, forgot the whole point of me posting. My ceilings are 9'3" and the screen drops nearly 7'. At this level the center of the picture is just above head height when seated. Might seem a bit low for some, but i've never had neck ache which i used to get when constantly looking upwards when the PJ was the right way up on a lower shelf.

Last edited:
Have you considered an electric screen? I purchased a Panoview screen from Nik, that is fully adjustable and has a 12 volt trigger. The screen is ceiling mounted in front of a North facing window (so no problems from the sun), but I did move the radiator onto another wall before installation; (fortunately I had only mounted the rad on its' brackets and not plumbed it in, when I decided to put the screen in front of the window).

The projector (also ceiling mounted) is approximately 5 metres away with the screen 'drop limit' easily adjusted to give perfect results each time and like Nik has already said, there is loads of black border at the top, to give you all the adjustment you want.........plus it looks a bit flash and impresses your mates when you switch the projector on and the screen comes down automatically.

Have you considered an electric screen?

When you switch the projector on and the screen comes down automatically.

No Davy, I think I need all the exercise I can get :D

That sounds impressive, how do you get the 12v feed off the PJ?

You need a 12 volt output from the projector. Mine, an Infocus IN82 has two; a vertical one, used for the screen and a horizontal one, used for curtains if you want to. Although I have to admit I dispensed with the idea of the curtain one, as I thought it would look too much like a Crematorium!!!

Cost wise, yes it is more expensive, but not great. I too was looking at a manual screen, but it was my wife who said "you're only going to do it once, so pay the extra and have what you really want". I'm so so glad I took her advice - but then they're generally right are'nt they?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom