1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual or Electric Screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by guido, Feb 6, 2005.

1. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wondering about peoples experience with manual screens... will be watching maybe 2-3 films a week so wondering if the expense of an electric screen is worth it?

How do manual screens work - just like roller blinds :confused: and do they roll up straight? This is my concern as I always seem to fight with roller blinds and dont want to end up with a creased mess!!! Are there good and bad makes for manual screens?

Due to space, viewing distance etc decided I need a 77" diagonal :clown:
    i.e. approx 170x96cm viewable. These seem to be few and far between!

3 Manual Screens:
    Nexnix do a 78" manual for £89+VAT
    Grandview Pulldown 170x97 for £117.50
    DRH Slimline 173x97 £129

The 2 electric ones I have found are:
    Grandview Electric 170x97 £464.99
    DRH "Slimline 240" 173x97 £383

The DRH electric ones seem very good value for money. I need to ceiling mount it and must be a white box.

Any comments re these makes (Nexnix, Grandview, DRH) and manual v. electrix gratefully received :thumbsup:

Thanks,
    Guido

PS. Its for a SP4805 in a fairly dark room.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Well,

I bought a grandview electric about 2.5 years ago for near on £500.00. I quickly realised that this was a chronic waste of £350.00 as I actually left it down most of the time. I sold that screen over the summer and have recently bought a beamax manual screen for £150.00 which is lovely, easily as good as the grandview but without the motor.

Thus go manual and put the saving towards something else you require.

Cheers,

Captain Benefit.

3. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Think my screen will be up when not using it.. even though it is in spare room. Working out to mount the PJ at the mo - want it hidden from view when not in use so the feckin' burglars leave it alone... also it will be seen from outside when ceiling mounted and dont want to advertise it.
    Am leaning towards manual... just want to make sure I dont end up with creased mess as thats what happens when I try to use a roller blind!! So will go to see some first. DRH screens seem good value and have good feedback here.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Simply black out the window with a blind or black out material. Will also help the image :smashin:

Cap :thumbsup:

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Unless you going for tab tensioning I don't see the point in an electric screen apart from the fact it looks flash! Save yourself a bit of cash and go for a manual.

6. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tab tensioned electric screen here but I must admit that when I was pricing up my system it was the one area that I would have cut costs if need be. I think that in the long term the tab tensioning will make sense as I hate the thought of a curled screen, it's one of those things that I am sure would drive me mad.
    In short if the money really isn't an issue then go electric, however if you are watching your pennies then there are much better uses of the cash IMHO.
    Oh and a friend of mine has a DRH slimline manual screen and he loves it, great piece of kit for the money (even though the guy he house shares with can operate it much better than him..lol)

:)