Manual Network Selection on 3Mobile Nokia 6280

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
MAJOR issue on this phone for me!

I live in the republic of Ireland, just 10 miles from the N. Ireland border. Most of the people I text or call are in the north so it makes more sense for me to have a UK phone, not an Irish one. My girlfriend lives in the north so it is not a problem for me to get a contract, just get it in her name. I wanted 3 mobile, because they are the only network which does not charge for roaming, as long as you are on 3 Ireland network.

Problems start here!

First of all, the kind chap in the Phones 4 U shop lied his arse off to me. I told him where I lived and told him that the main reason I needed the phone was the free roaming. He said that I would probably still get 3UK because I lived so close to the border, and if not, would definitely get 3 Ireland. I get neither! If I stand in the back bedroom upstairs, I just about get 3Ireland, but no 3UK. Any idea if I can cancel the contract on the basis that the salesman lied to me?

Secondly, The phone will not stick to manual network selection. It will select a network if you ask it, but it stays on automatic selection which means it changes off again straight away.

Help!?!?
1 - Can I get out of the contract? I only got the phone yesterday, but I have used a few texts etc.

2 - Why will the phone not keep the manual selection? Is this some grand scheme by 3 to con Irish customers? Even in Northern Ireland, the network switches a lot to Irish networks.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Ps, just spoke to the lying *@~*& in Phones4U and they came up with some nice excuses...

1 - They said that I have to contact 3 to unlock international calling. Absolute tripe. I can get 3Ireland fine beside the border, but it gets weaker as I get closer to home.

2 - They say 3 disable manual network selection in all their phones. I asked if this was just a handy way to con their customers, she just managed to stifle a laugh.

Sy1441

Ps, just spoke to the lying *@~*& in Phones4U and they came up with some nice excuses...

1 - They said that I have to contact 3 to unlock international calling. Absolute tripe. I can get 3Ireland fine beside the border, but it gets weaker as I get closer to home.

2 - They say 3 disable manual network selection in all their phones. I asked if this was just a handy way to con their customers, she just managed to stifle a laugh.
3 do disable manual network selection. They originally implemented this feature due to their coverege being very patchy and so the phone would automatically fall-back onto O2's 2g network. They still have it in place and use Orange as a fallback network now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom