Manta 3D 42" LCD TV £350

I was also thinking about going for this as the price seemed so good but I could only find 2 customer reviews for the t.v anywhere. 1 gave 5 stars and one gave 1 star. Also the fact that I couldn't go on the manufacturers website to look at the company a bit more due to the site being in polish put me off also. Ended up going for the LG 50PZ250T instead. Let me know how it is though if you do end up going for it :)

Well yeah this is what I was debating, only a couple of reviews and both a positive and negative! However a new review has just been posted that's positive so more people must be starting to buy this

Am a reseller thru' eBay of TV Link to site; LCD, LED items in Charliechums Products 4U store on eBay!

I bought a sample for testing just before Xmas as was considering buying some before Amazon snapped up the stock from Manta in Poland. Apart from the chunky cabinet, this is a really good TV with good sound & picture with quality gloss finish to the cabinet. Was intending to buy & sell at £399/ £429, can't believe Amazon are at £349 - they can't be making much (if anything)!
3D Function - TV is using an LG Panel, the 3D is simple Passive system which works very well. Have been running over Xmas on both Philips 3D Blu Ray & PS3. The 3D Blu Ray is really very good, glasses for duration of film, are comfortable not clunky Active ones, just simple sunglass style (4 pairs provided). The contrast ratio sets this apart from other cheap 3D tv's as is 15000:1 which is very bright, much better than others which can be dark once glasses used. Has a 2D 3D converter which is pretty good also just thru' normal Freeview (need to play with the settings to get this right for your eyes though). Simple OSD & set up.
This is a very good deal & backed by strength of retailer like Amazon - At £349 I'd get one before they realise they're selling them too cheaply:) BTW, we've got some great deals on small Screen LED's!

Thankyou for your reply. Will bite bullet and get one see what it's like, nothing ventured is nothing gained :D in a way Manta must be there version of tecnika In a way

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwxFQW4QGE]3D TV Manta LCD4214 Test NEXTgameTV [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

anybody understand polish and could translate what that reviewer thinks of the tv?

Despite originally looking at the LG or Toshiba passive tv's. Im tempted to give this tv a shot for half what a branded model costs. I figure it's a good inexpensive way to tell if 3d is going to be something worth investing in.

And amazon are one of the best companys to deal with for faults or returns i believe.

Any owners on this forum yet?

Manta LCD4214 - telewizor 3D dla mas | Obywatel HD

After translating the above review im less than tempted lol

Hope i can cut and paste from the review, if not for copyright i will remove the below

" Firstly, there is no enough 3D settings option. You can choose the type of three-dimensional image and set the basic parameters such as brightness or contrast. But you can not adjust the level of the 3D volume as in the new LG panels (and other). What is quite important because of the latter. TV can not cope best with the effect of cross-talk which is the Achilles heel of the new 3D technology. This is the unpleasant effect of propagation of the two constituent elements of the image. We see then two shots left and right eye, next to each other, and not imposed, creating a perfect 3D image. Unfortunately, Mancia LCD4214 this problem is clearly visible. "

Ironically tho, that still image with the clowns face. I prefer how the manta looks compared to that top of the range panasonic plasma.

Last edited:
Ive taken a punt at it mainly because of Amazon as the seller. Thanks for the review posts and YouTube video from what I can work out he is a fan of Godzilla :laugh:

Ive taken a punt at it mainly because of Amazon as the seller. Thanks for the review posts and YouTube video from what I can work out he is a fan of Godzilla :laugh:

Hi,

Has amazon delivered your set yet, would love to hear some feedback on it?

So saw this tv advertised but was doubtful buying it as there wasn't any reviews. Taken a punt and brought it so here's a good review for you

Like everything it has it's pros and cons. Yes it's not like most 3Dtvs on the market *that's super slim!! It has a chunky clamshell design but is curved so looks good. This tv only has 2 HDMI ports so recommend getting a splitter to connect more devices. There's other ports such as component,scart USB etc. only briefly used the USB and could get an avi file play but not another? Strange. Would appreciate if anyone could find supported formats/ codecs

People mentioned that the speakers were low and poor but in my opinion they are alrite. There is different options for sound such as movie,game, surround etc like you'd find in most tvs but you can set it to your optimal preference if using it as your main source of sound.

The remote is basic and nothing fancy. I have found thou that you need to point it pretty much in line with the sensor for it to work. It's full 1080p and what I like is when you switch onto something such as a ps3 and watch a film it displays what it is outputting at.

The setup was easy. 4 screws into base,plug all necessary cables in and away you go! Got free view built in, not HD but if you connect a USB drive formatted in FAT you can use it as a DVR which I will most probs try out sometime.

Now for the 3D. 1 word - Amazing! I have seen alot of 3D sets in shops etc and this is defiantly on par with the bigger budget branded ones. I prefer passive over active because it's less strain on my eyes but it's everyone's personal choice again. You get your 4 glasses including clip on ones. The 3D button brings up a simply but adequate menu allowing you to turn it on or off, select the option such as Side By Side etc but I leave it on AuTo and the 2D to 3D conversion which I'm impressed at! Showed of the basic of shows... coronation street with this is on and it adds great depth to the image. I would advise reducing it from 5 to 2 for comfortable viewing!

Haven't subscribed to Sky 3D yet but watched a couple of 3D blu rays and the picture was brilliant throughout. Don't take much notice of this light bleeding nonsense because it hasn't been visible to me or affected my viewing of The Hole 3D and that was pretty dark down there haha. Games have no lag or blurr and look brilliant as well.*

If anyone has one of these I need a little help with one problem. I've connected my mac mini (one of the early ones) via HDMI but want to connect audio to the tv. Should I get a cable from audio out on mac and connect to pc in on tv??

Any questions just ask but I advise to go and purchase one now whilst amazon have them on offer!! You won't be disappointed :)

After much digging I found out the Cello 42" 3D LCD is the same model which you can get from M&S for £399. The difference is the Cello model has a much better remote and 5 year guarantee. You can get 6% back via quidco so effectively there is a £26 difference in price. Occasionally with M&S vouchers pop up and they do a deal of the day which has featured Cello/M&S sets quite a lot so worth keeping an eye on. A few people managed to get the Cello for £300.

There is also the difference that Manta are assembled in Poland and Cello in the UK so buying Cello helps keep a few people in work. Also buying through M&S instead of Amazon supports a british company there to.

I'd also point out that in 3 years if either set fails with a duff panel the Cello buyer will get a nice new replacement set and the Manta buyer will get nothing unless he/she pursues a claim through the courts which would be time consuming to do and not guaranteed of winning. For me the Cello is the better deal but I would wait for a M&S promotion before buying anyway as you might be able to get it below £350 anyway beating the Manta price if you play the waiting game for a little while.

I was looking over the Cello 42" last week and was tempted. I then spotted the Manta at £349. I noticed lots of reviews over at Amazon saying the 2D to 3D works at setting 2. But, i have only ever seen 1 review for the Cello, which claims 2d to 3d does not work

So, if this is the same TV, does it have conversion and does it work? I would rather buy the cello, but I need to know if the conversion works.

One other quick question. I have read comments about some tv's do 3d by depth and others 'pop out, like the cinema. What do these sets do?

One other quick question. I have read comments about some tv's do 3d by depth and others 'pop out, like the cinema. What do these sets do?
This is nonsense since 3D effects are generated by the source material.

In 3D conversion, the viewing plane can be moved behind or in front of the TV (Panasonic players can do this) but depth is almost always preferable in my experience.

thanks for the reply, but I am a novice, so please do not sound like you are telling me off;). I have scoured the net for info on 3D, and I have found forums claiming that some TV's do 3d by depth, some by 'popping out'. All I wanted to know, is what this one does, but if someone tells me, you can set it on THIS TV and not just a generic, you can, i will be happy

I also read another review today on amazon, claiming the 2d conversion is utter rubbish.

thanks for the reply, but I am a novice, so please do not sound like you are telling me off;). I have scoured the net for info on 3D, and I have found forums claiming that some TV's do 3d by depth, some by 'popping out'. All I wanted to know, is what this one does, but if someone tells me, you can set it on THIS TV and not just a generic, you can, i will be happy

I also read another review today on amazon, claiming the 2d conversion is utter rubbish.
Sorry, certainly not having a go at you :)

Pop-outs and depth can only be generated by the 3D director of the film (not the display device).

What IS important about this set is it uses passive technology which pretty much guarantees the 3D experience will be very good indeed (since I believe the actual screen is made by LG). On top of this, you have the bonus that lots of people can watch at the same time using cheap polarized glasses :smashin:

Can't comment on 2D->3D conversion but don't forget you can always add after-market converters - as I have with my LG

thanks, it looks like I may purhcase one. Shame the 2d conversion seems a bit hit/miss, but hey, watching the footie in 3d will be good, and since I never wanted to go the active route, this and LG seem to be my only options. Would still like to know if the Cello is EXACTLY the same and does the 2d conversion? I would prefer to buy the CELLO one.

thanks, it looks like I may purhcase one. Shame the 2d conversion seems a bit hit/miss, but hey, watching the footie in 3d will be good, and since I never wanted to go the active route, this and LG seem to be my only options. Would still like to know if the Cello is EXACTLY the same and does the 2d conversion? I would prefer to buy the CELLO one.

Cello isn't exactly the same it has a better remote;

iviewer%20remote.JPG

Manta remote is this;

5.jpg

Both need to be pointed to the tv more directly but from accounts I've read the Cello remote isn't as bad, perhaps it has a stronger infra red beam.

Marks and Spencers cashback has dropped down to 3% and there is also a £5 off code going about. So you can get £17 off approx the price making it £383. So thats £33 extra for the 5 year warranty and better remote.

Also while physically the same product the software revision inside the set could be different and one supplier might be more proactive in supplying software updates.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Cello-3D-TVs-TVs-Accessories-Technology/b/1497390031

thanks for that, I was aware of the remote issue. I can get the cello for £383 delivered from Ebuyer, so I was going to get it there. I just need to make sure it was the same set as the Manta, so all the reviews I am reading, also apply to the Cello. I may purchase it tomorrow, so I can review it and let you all know:smashin:

5 year guarantee at M&S which is surely worth having. If you are going to buy from ebuyer I think there is 2% quidco from memory.

Looking at reviews on M&S website, there's a very strange feature on the cello...

"Only problem with this TV is the Blue Box that comes up 4 times a day saying power is switching of in 60 seconds press any key to stop.
Cello says its a govenment heath and safety that must be on all TVs. gets in the way some times if you forget to press key it switches TV off."

That sounds a nightmare having some box pop up while you watching a film?

If you look in the Manta manual there is a whole section on time options, auto switch off etc. I'm guessing the user has wrongly set it or maybe it ships in a mode that more aggressively switches off. Either way everyone would be complaining about it I would of thought if you couldn't turn it off.

I notice in the manual that there is a Manta 32" model like the Cello 32" model that is 720p not 1080p and I also noticed on the Manta site that the rear view of the Manta shows different sockets than the 42" version despite the manual claiming they have the same sockets. Again looks to be similar to the Cello.

I'm quite interested in the cello...looks good !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom