man's spit made police vehicle unusable

njdbaxter

Prominent Member
Reaction score
BBC News - Derry man's spit made police vehicle unusable

A Londonderry man who spat on the door of a police vehicle has been ordered to do 175 hours of community service.

A prosecution lawyer said that after McEleney spat on the vehicle it was unfit for use.

The lawyer said it had to be cleaned again before it could be used.

Deputy District Judge Peter King ordered McEleney to undertake 175 hours of community service and pay compensation of £138 for the cleaning of the police vehicle.

why did this even go to court, police wasted £1000s going to court for a man spitting on a door.

how does spit on a door make a car unusable and cost £138 to clean? surely a car windscreen or general wipe would have cleaned it :confused:

they take this **** to court but give someone else a warning for assault :confused:

Good to know that if a man's spit is enough to warrant a £138 clean up, then the next time a dog pisses on your car, a full professional valet is in order, presumably at the expense of the dog owner.

Here Fido, come and pee on my car. Good dog.

I've just seen a robin take a dump on my car's roof. Can I sue Bill Oddy.:smashin:

Hi NJDBaxter,

how does spit on a door make a car unusable and cost £138 to clean?

I'm going to make an educated guess, that there might have been the possibility that there could be problems if the saliva carried blood, which might have carried an infectious or deadly disease like the AIDS virus, within it.

I know it sounds really silly, but I am assuming that that's why the police had to be extra careful, and err on the side of caution.

I would suspect that the real reason, is that 'elf n' safety came into play, and the police and judge were all making an example of this guy, as well. ;)

Pooch

This is a photo of Mr McEleney.
alien.jpg

Hi NJDBaxter,

I'm going to make an educated guess, that there might have been the possibility that there could be problems if the saliva carried blood, which might have carried an infectious or deadly disease like the AIDS virus, within it.

I know it sounds really silly, but I am assuming that that's why the police had to be extra careful, and err on the side of caution.

I would suspect that the real reason, is that 'elf n' safety came into play, and the police and judge were all making an example of this guy, as well. ;)

Pooch

cant get aids through spit, only blood and seminal fluid, still they could have just cleaned a door, and it doesnt say it was the inside of the door

says he spat on the door, if it was in the vehicle surely they would have said "in the vehicle"

Last edited:

;)

Maybe it will make the next scumbag think twice before spitting on a police car. I for one am quite glad that the police don't drop cases based on the cost to take it to court.

Flem. It's bio-hazard in my book.
if he'd gobbed a greeny then yep ... might have strep or staph
I'd also guess that plenty of protective gloves would be nearby or upon their persons ... them being the rozzers n all

EDIT ...
Regardless, it was a disgusting act and so I have zero sympathy for the man and care little for what device was used to prosecute him

Last edited:
Flem. It's bio-hazard in my book.

and mine , if it was in hospital it would go as biowaste , i dont see what the difference is , it is a disgusting thing to do , i was gobbed at by an idiot a long time ago , he saw the error of his ways after i gave him several blows to his face , i doubt he ever did it again ...........

Papers are notorious at making stories sound worse or even more trivial that what they really are, so take what they say with a pinch of salt.
It may have been in the inside of the car, numerous times and he may have had some disease like Hep B or just blood in it. It may have required professionally cleaned.

I personally think that spitting is disgusting and I am glad he got fined.
If not he would have done it again and so would every other scumbag.

There is another way they could have dealt with it...
When I lock people up and they start to spit on the holding room floor at the nick I take their coat off them and wipe it up with that. They don't do it again.

I suspect there was a lot more going on.

Papers are notorious at making stories sound worse or even more trivial that what they really are, so take what they say with a pinch of salt.
It may have been in the inside of the car, numerous times and he may have had some disease like Hep B or just blood in it. It may have required professionally cleaned.

I personally think that spitting is disgusting and I am glad he got fined.
If not he would have done it again and so would every other scumbag.

There is another way they could have dealt with it...
When I lock people up and they start to spit on the holding room floor at the nick I take their coat off them and wipe it up with that. They don't do it again.

but was going to court necessary?

could they not have issued a fine without going to court?

if i was on the outside of the car, then police are takin the pi55, car wash is £5 these days.

Yea, you have to prosecute the scum bag, you can't exactly just leave it.

Anyways, if it was me, gloves on, wipe with tissue, tissue in bin. What is the big deal?

Could even spray with a bit of disinfectant or whatever. Typical over reaction in this stupid country.

Does he have a list of previous offences.

If so good on the courts and perhaps a warning to other offenders that perhaps constantly get off lightly.....all the time.....

if i was on the outside of the car, then police are takin the pi55, car wash is £5 these days.

It was criminal damage.
If he had not been dealt with for similar in the last 12 months or so he could have had an £80 fine, if he admitted the offence and accepted it that is.
If he didnt accept it or had previous then it has to be court or just let off.
The police dont make the rules (well, some of them might, lol).

Yea, you have to prosecute the scum bag, you can't exactly just leave it.

Anyways, if it was me, gloves on, wipe with tissue, tissue in bin. What is the big deal?

Could even spray with a bit of disinfectant or whatever. Typical over reaction in this stupid country.

Sorry, but if you had seen some of the people we have dealt with who have HIGHLY infectious diseases you would be a fool to go ANYWHERE near their spit.
Having said that, i have swilled blood out of the back of a van before.

Spitting is a vile habbit.Anyone spitting in the street should atleast be tasered :smashin:

PC Thug,

I fully appreciate what you are saying and I know what you deal with, my sons a copper.
But c'mon, it's spit on a door, wipe it off and get on with the job.

I've cleaned **** off the toilet floor in public toilets in my time, I'm still here, some folks just don't know they are born, really.:)

I'm not trying to sound confrontational and stuff btw, just saying that things are really going to far in the wrong direction these days.
It's just spit and if it's full of nasty germs it's still OK to touch it with a gloved hand, a wadge of toweling/tissues and a spray with disinfectant.

To actually remove a car off the road and Probably the coppers for as long as it takes to turn it around is just pathetic.

Axel40 said:

+1

And even if the spit had swine flu on it, it's not like they're going to use the door as a chopping board or lick it. just an example of the strange ideas and lack of common sense by some 'officials' nowadays.

If anything, all I would have done is charged him £2 for a bottle of dettol and some tissues.

On the other hand, It could be the 'gesture' itself that they don't like- not the liquid! Obviously he's had some problem with them before. But still, Not the nicest of things to do, nobody likes being spat on. Seriously though, like the above poster says, the police work hard and the gesture itself is horrible...

Couldn't that person have found a "Civil parking enforcement officer" to spit on instead? ;)

Last edited:

It's not the spit. It's the principle.

You think we should live in a society where people can openly hack up saliva at our law enforcement officers, without consequence? It is hard to conceive a more vile and repugnant expression of disrepect than spitting. To aim it at police officers in the course of their duty is beneath contempt.

It's worth the court costs just to send a message to these filthbags.

It's not the spit. It's the principle.

You think we should live in a society where people can openly hack up saliva at our law enforcement officers, without consequence? It is hard to conceive a more vile and repugnant expression of disrepect than spitting. To aim it at police officers in the course of their duty is beneath contempt.

It's worth the court costs just to send a message to these filthbags.

its not really sending a message to these "filthbags", probably wont even read the story or care, or lose their head in such a situation and spit without thinking of consequences.

people do worse crap and get a slap on the wrist, seen people get assaulted and attacker given a caution, which i think is ten times worse than spitting on a car

Police work is VERY diverse.

One minute you are fighting with someone, the next you are investigating voices in an old dears head.
The next minute you are having some drunk spit a big thick glob of disease riddled mucus on your inside window, the next you are attending a broken down vehicle and giving some mum and her 5 year old kid a lift home, who insists on licking your windows or biting your trim/headrest.
The next you are handing your car over the the next shift to an officer who has no idea what the car has been through in the previous 12 hours.

The point i am trying to make is that no one likes other peoples spit or knows whats in it. A bottle of detol wont kill off scabies, HIV or Heb B etc (i dont think, but may be proven wrong). Spit is sometimes not just mucus, it can be blood too. It also sometimes doesnt come out as a lump, it can spray everywhere.

The officer using a vehicle has a duty of care for others using it, whether colleages or members of the public. If someone contracted something from a police vehicle they would have a very good claim, and the officer may find themselves in trouble too.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom