manolia ratio fault?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by JaHaD, Nov 6, 2000.

1. JaHaD

JaHaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought r2 Magnolia 2 disc set yesterday,it says its in 16:9 ratio, and my philips 32PW6615 attempts to pull it to that ratio, but its actually in 2.35:1. I understand that EIV are well known for printing the wrong ratio on there boxes but the fact that my T.V switches this film to 16:9 makes me believe the wrong signal is being sent.my T.V pull all my other 2.35:1 films to the correct ratio. Anyone else noticed this?

2. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The film is indeed in 2.35:1. The 16:9 reference on the box is EiV's way of saying that the film is anamorphic (ie enhanced for 16:9 TVs).

It's a common complaint that the companies should come up with a standard set of terminology, rather than using their own methods of expressing ratios and anamorphic enhancements. The same applies to the notation for the sound - 'Dolby Digital' is often used on mono films which have been digitally encoded, and is somewhat misleading, as people presume it means that there is a 5.1 mix.

Finally, your TV is not trying to 'pull it out' to a 16:9 ratio - what you are seeing is the slight geometry change that occurs when a TV detects an anamorphic picture.

Hope this helps.

3. JaHaD

JaHaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand all you said but you obviously didn't understand my post. My T.V does indeed pull this film to 16:9.It fills the whole of my W/S T.V instead of having black bars on the top and bottom as it should for a 2.35:1 Film,in other words the film is stretched vertically to fill the screen.
    all I need to know is if this is a known fault with either the T.V (philips 32PW6615/25) or the disc(R2 Magnolia 2disc set)?

4. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - I think we were talking at cross-purposes! I've got R2 Magnolia 2 disc set, and it is fine (hence my getting the wrong end of the stick).

It's odd - what you describe sounds very much like what happens when your TV is failing to pick up the anamorphic signal. There is a post by a member called Richard46 in the General Forum where his copies of The Mummy and The Matrix were doing exactly what you describe, and apparently it was something to do with his using a Scart to S-Video lead that could not carry the anamorphic signal. But given that all your other discs are fine, I'd just take your copy back, and see if it still happens on a new version.

Good luck

5. tbibic

tbibic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Magnolia - 2 disc set - has the bars on top and bottom, so it seems that the disc is OK