Manhunter

Will save me a lot of money.

**** beans! I've just bought the US Lector triple pack for that one ****ing film! It was on sale thankfully, but the timing is so bloody typical. :laugh:

Where'd you get it on sale (and at what price)? I'm impatient and I have no idea what I want for Christmas, so it could be an option.

It's currently $24.49 at amazon.com. Shipping takes it to $31 dollars, which is about £20 in proper money.

Amazon.com: The Hannibal Lecter Anthology [Blu-ray]

I've already got SOTL and the excellent German BD of Hannibal, but Manhunter is worth the £20 to me. Hell, I spent more than that on the Japanese DVD of the theatrical cut.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There's a good PiP SOTL feature on the US 3 disc set though as Geoff _D says, you buy it for the Manhunter disc which has been given a pretty good transfer to HD (unlike the SOTL and Hannibal transfers). It remains to be seen which of the various cuts will be used for the single disc, could easily be that the cut in the 3 disc set was worth getting as well.

I doubt that we'll see anything else than the US theatrical cut on the UK Blu-ray. Mann's directors cut only exists on 1" video tape AFAIK, and the picture quality on the DiviMax DVD from Anchor Bay was all over the place as a result. Looked great (bar the EE) one minute, looked like VHS the next.

I can't say that I care for the DC anyway, as Mann did his usual tinkerman routine and took out stuff that went over like gangbusters in the theatrical version.

I think with Manhunter, rather than it being what Mann wants to be on (or off) the disc, it's more a case of different companies owning different cuts of the movie. It was released in the US by MGM whereas the UK disc appears to be an Optimum release. But we'll only know for sure when we see what is contained on the Optimum release in March :).

Well if the US Manhunter is the theatrical release and for 20 quid you also get SOTL and Hannibal as 'bonus discs' I'm making my virtual way over to Amazon.com.

Sure bosque. It'll be interesting to see what Optimum (or rather Studio Canal) come up with.

And yes cap'n, the US version is the proper theatrical cut.

Well if the US Manhunter is the theatrical release and for 20 quid you also get SOTL and Hannibal as 'bonus discs' I'm making my virtual way over to Amazon.com.

is region locked tho

Region locked not a problem, justifies my getting a MR player.

Oddly, only Hannibal is region-locked, the other two movies on that set are region-free.

Manhunter. One of my favourite films. I've bought it 3 times on DVD , the Anchor Bay 2 disc limited edition, the divmax edition and finally, the holy grail.. the uncut Japanese MGM release. I've lost track of all the different versions...it's like blade runner!

Pfft, part timer - where's your Laserdisc release ;)

Back on topic, can't wait for this but even though I don't think it's aged well it's still a cracking film. :smashin:

Bah! Found out at last! :D

Anyone know what the image quality is like on Manhunter?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hannibal-Lecter-Collection-Blu-ray/5706/#Review

Manhunter
Rating: 3.5/5

Manhunter arrives on Blu-ray with a somewhat strong MPEG-4 1080p, 2.35:1-framed transfer. The transfer features consistently heavy grain, blacks that occasionally crush detail, several scratches and spots, and a somewhat flat appearance, but it nevertheless delivers an image that, on the whole, appears suitably rendered on Blu-ray. Graham's venture into the wooded area behind the murdered family's home in chapter five reveals a nice bit of texture and fine detail on tree trunks and the surrounding foliage. Otherwise, detail is generally underwhelming but not deficient. Faces occasionally look unnaturally smooth; however, it's not likely a result of digital manipulation but seemingly more a stylistic intent and inherent to the source. Speaking of, flesh tones sometimes take on a slightly ghastly appearance. Colors range from bright and bold to somewhat muted. Manhunter's image quality won't be confused for The International, but more often than not it looks suitably good, all things considered.

You know that Michael Mann fired the oringial DP as he could'nt get a dolly shot to work that Mann wanted. But before he left the DP said "If anyone else thinks they can do it then step up" and a grip reckoned that he could do it. So he tried it and could'nt get it too work so Mann fired him aswell, even though it was'nt even his job :lol:

this is great news- thanks for posting. Always been a top 10 film for me:smashin:

It's currently $24.49 at amazon.com. Shipping takes it to $31 dollars, which is about £20 in proper money.

Amazon.com: The Hannibal Lecter Anthology [Blu-ray]

I've already got SOTL and the excellent German BD of Hannibal, but Manhunter is worth the £20 to me. Hell, I spent more than that on the Japanese DVD of the theatrical cut.

Geoff - in what way is the German Hannibal better than the UK one? Didnt realise there was a difference but im very interested if there is.

Ill definitely be picking up Manhunter at some point next year. I still havent picked up SOTL though and Im still not sure I will (just havent got any desire to watch it again - I know it will just sit there, unwatched!)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Geoff - in what way is the German Hannibal better than the UK one? Didnt realise there was a difference but im very interested if there is.
You doubt me, sir? Actually, that's not surprising given my recent run of form. :laugh:

The German one has 6.1 audio (it's lossy DTS HR but with an INSANE bitrate) and includes the multi-angle vignettes missing from the UK Blu-ray. Costs a fair bit more than the UK version though, so unless you're dying to hear Hannibal in 6.1 you'd best keep your credit card holstered.

You doubt me, sir? Actually, that's not surprising given my recent run of form. :laugh:

The German one has 6.1 audio (it's lossy DTS HR but with an INSANE bitrate) and includes the multi-angle vignettes missing from the UK Blu-ray. Costs a fair bit more than the UK version though, so unless you're dying to hear Hannibal in 6.1 you'd best keep your credit card holstered.

Wasnt doubting you actually - my post must have come across to you that way (wouldnt be the first time people have taken my posts the wrong way! ;))

I wont bother with the German one then. The angles thing was on the DVD SE and is a 'see it once - never again' thing for me and I havent got 6.1 anyway. I would have gone for the German one if the transfer had been better in some way though.

Slightly surprised the Anthology includes Manhunter rather than Red Dragon which to me seems a better fit as part of a Lector trilogy. Firstly Red Dragon is the title of the Thomas Harris book and secondly Lector is played by Hopkins. Manhunter for me probably shaded it as a film compared to Red Dragon although the latter was more than decent and many viewers will prefer it. Hannibal Rising is no loss whatsoever. Assume all of this is explained by which studios hold the rights etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think MGM distributed this in 1986/87 in US cinemas, that was the actual producers of the film, De Laurentiis Entertainment Group (DEG).

We all know Mann likes to fiddle with his films but he had this taken off him I believe and then the producers ran into some trouble so we had a half-done final product which some European distributors (UK especially) paid to finish off (hence different titles).

I only want the original cinema cut and if it means extraordinarily rendering Mann to Sweden or somewhere I'll chip in the cash.

Manhunter is an entirely MGM owned product worldwide although Studio-Canal (who own Optimum) have a deal for old DEG product that goes back sometime. MGM also own DEG's Blue Velvet (soon on Blu-ray in France) and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

If someone buys MGM (or what's left of it) we may then get some investment in this film on Blu-ray but bare-bones is fine by me. We have all the extras (Anchor Bay) we could wish for. Most of the other former Anchor Bay titles have had some AB stuff but not everything so hold on to your DVDs.

Brian Cox's Lecktor is full of dread and horror. All those silly remakes just make me giggle and I'm expecting a "Hannibal Vs Freddie" any day soon.

And Brian Cox is a Dundee man and you don't mess with Dundonians or you'll have to give them a lifetime's worth of Forfar bridies.

:p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom