1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manhunter - help please!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, May 22, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Folks,

I was wondering if any of you can help me out please, with a query about Michael Mann’s acclaimed 1986 movie “Manhunter”.

Having just rewatched Disc 1 of the Anchor Bay “Manhuter” double-DVD set, which contains the US Theatrical Cut of the film, it seems that there are actually at least 4 different cuts in existance. And all of them, are different.

1) The US Theatrical Cut (on Disc 1 of the AB release), running 121 minutes (NTSC)
    2) The extended, official “Director’s Cut”, running 124 minutes (NTSC)
    3) The UK Theatrical and Video/DVD cut, running 118 minutes (PAL)
    4) Another extended “Director’s Cut” (not approved by Mann himself) aired on US Cable TV channel “Showtime”, running 124 minutes (NTSC), but including different scenes and takes not in any of the above 3 cuts! :eek:

Anyway, as I know that it is unlikely that we will ever see a definitive version that contains all the footage from all “versions” of “Manhunter”, in one, single edition of the movie, then I want to try and do the next best thing.

My intention is to try and create the “definitive” cut of this seminal movie, but on paper – i.e. a script that includes but highlights all the differing sections of the film. However, short of writing a brand new transcript word for word from all the video/DVD editions, I thought I’d be able to locate a copy of the script – in one form or another – on the web. Sadly, I can’t seem to locate it. I have tried various search engines like Alta Vista, Google, Ask Jeeves, et al, and some of the more popular script/transcript websites like “Drew’s Script-O-Rama”, but none of them have given me anything. :(

I have located a copy of the script on an old floppy disk, which I got from someone, somewhere, entitled “Red Dragon”, (from the original Thomas Harris novel). Yet, whilst this is claimed to be Michael Mann’s second draft of the movie from July 1984, even this is completely different to any of the above versions that made it to the final completed and filmed stage!

So, can anyone else help me locate a script or transript of the main basic version of the film please?

Thanks, in advance, :)

Pooch

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It may well be that such a thing does not exist. As there are so many different versions of the film, there may not be such a thing as a definitive version of the script.
    Directors do not always shoot exactly what is outlined in the script, and then by the time the film is edited and any re-shoots added, you end up with something else completely.

:confused: :)

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Bit like a musical score, dissertation etc. - the horror/s.
    It's an excellant film, whatever the cut. Perhas you'll have to live with that knowledge alone - or lithium, Pooch!
    I do hate when additions or changed ends are made if I've seen one version and like it only to be shown another which is (usually) spoilt for the change - i.e. Supernova R2s ending. This is one aspect where deleted extras are useful to see what got stripped, but then again if you feel it should've been in it's back to frustration. I'll quit now before this turns into an unused script for Soap.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    On the plus side, the new version looks as if it is going to be great!

[​IMG]

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

Thanks for the comments so far.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: does anyone know of any online website that has a copy of ANY version of the "Manhunter" filmscript - preferably a transcript, rather than any previous drafts of what the film might have been like, before filming took place?

Thanks!

Pooch

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,003
    Hi Lex

I preferred Manhunter to Silence of the Lambs. And agree with some critics that Brian Cox was a better Hannibal Lecter, even though I do like Anthony Hopkins as an actor.

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Really is a case where the films series, if you like, work - unlike, Spaced flashback, "The Phantom Menace?" - with different actors. But I think the problem with Hopkins was that I found him likeable, whereas as Garrett nods, Cox was far more sinister and edgey. Thus I have a sense of dread that the newest encumbant will be too starie/over-produced possibly. Plus no Julianne Moore who I thought was really rather good (though the critics weren't too kind, but what do they know) last time.

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,

The new version IS going to be played by Anthony Hopkins - they are going to digitally alter him to make him look younger. Ralph Fiennes is going to be playing the psycho this time with ed norton as the detective. I reckon it sounds great, the only unkown factor is the director - his only previous credits are Rush Hour 1&2 which I have never seen.

Myself, I actually prefer Silence to Manhunter, I just feel that it was directed with a little more class and subtelty - it hasn't dated a jot, whereas Manhunter looks very dated (especially the music). I am though a big fan of Michael Mann. One scene which reflects the difference for me is the introduction of Hanibal Lecter; in Manhunter he is just sitting there in the white room, whereas in Silence you have that fantastic walk by Clarice Starling down the corridoor past all the psychos to find Hanibal standing there smiling pleasently. I think Hanibal was supposed to be likeable, he was charming and handsome and smart, which was why he was such a succesful killer.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    if you want the definitive basis of the film buy the book, its not called manhunter, its called red dragon and as with the rest of the hanibal lecter films its written by robert harris.

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Thanks for the help so far. I already have all three Lecktor novels - "Red Dragon", "Silence Of The Lambs", and "Hannibal", but I'd still like to try and get a definitive script if possible.

Squirrel God - thanks for the site address, but no luck I'm afraid.

Oh, and Shoka, the author of these books was Thomas Harris, not Robert Harris. Robert Harris writes those mystery/war novels, doesn't he?!

Pooch

12. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Doh!!!! I've read both authers books, and I always get them mixed up.

13. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi PoochJD
    Have you checked out Video Watchdog magazine issue 13 sep/oct
    1992 has got a large feature on Manhunter. It covers the different
    versions released and all the footage that was shot and deleted.
    It includes rare photos etc.
    If you want I can scan it and send it to you.