Manhunter (Double DVD Edition)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Feb 6, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Again,

Alongside the "JFK" disc, I also received Anchor Bay's new double-DVD edition of Michael Mann's serial killer chiller "Manhunter".

I have to admit that when I originally saw the movie, several years ago now, I hated it. I found it to be slow, not very creepy and rather dull. Then, about three weeks later, BBC2 did a Moviedrome presentation of the film, with Alex Cox! I rewatched it, and the film grew on me in a big way. I began to notice more plot details, the less-obvious clues, and the actual psychological horror of the movie's villain. Since then, and having read all three of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Lecter" books, I have to say that "Manhunter" is very, very good indeed!

Anchor Bay's new DVD set is great. I've only skimmed through both discs, rather than watching them through in full, but I wanted to note the following observations:

1) The theatrical version on Disc 1 looks and sounds stunning! It's far superior to the crummy R2 version released a while back, and the music really comes across well, adding a lot of uneasy tension and raw ferocity to the movie!

2) The trailer Anchor Bay have got, is in the original Widescreen 2.35:1 ratio, which is nice to see, as most trailers are not in this form!

3) An oddity, this one: in all theatrical versions of the movie I have ever seen (TV, and home video prints), one scene in the DVD crops up that I have never encountered before. It appears on Disc 1, Chapter 15 - the counter reading is 52m 22s to 54m 49s. This scene is included in both editions of the movie (Theatrical and Director's Cut) on the DVD, but I have never seen it in any UK edition of the movie. Is it just me, or is this a brand-new sequence that has somehow been reinstated into the movie?

4) The Director's Cut has never been seen in the UK, except for one single one-off screening at the British Film Institute in the mid-1990's, when Mann visited them, to promote the release of "Heat", and the BFI did a mini-season of his works. Alas, Anchor Bay have left me a little dissappointed.

Whilst I appreciate that this version has never actually had a theatrical print struck, (which might explain what I am about to point out), and thus Anchor Bay had to work from Mann's own print, it's frustrating to see that the results are not that impressive. This version of "Manhunter" is in the same 2.35:1 Anamorphic format, as Disc 1, but the sound is in stereo only, not Dolby Digital. The actual print itself is in a pretty bad condition. The picture is full of grain, not at all sharp, and it looks like it is an NTSC TV print. That should give you a rough idea of what to expect. This is a real shame, because I was so looking forward to seeing a spankingly clean print, of a rarely-shown movie. However, don't let my comments put you off from buying this DVD set! Despite the not-too-great print quality of Disc 2, I'd still recommend everyone who has any interest in serial-killers, or Michael Mann movies, to buy this movie as soon as possible!

If anyone else would like to comment on this movie, I would be appreciative if you could post comments about it, in this thread. Thanking you all, in advance,

Pooch

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Malick - Thanks for your help. Do you have a copy of that article please, that you can e-mail to me? If you do, my e-mail address is:

[email protected]

Thanks.
    ---------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone else,

I finished watching the original Theatrical version (121 minutes) of "Manhunter" on Anchor Bay's new set, and spotted another additional scene, that I had never seen before.

The scene appears in Chapter 10 at 33m 52s to 34m 33s, and Will Graham asks an estate agent guy about one of the murdered families houses.

Please bear in mind, I'm NOT talking here about the slightly longer Director's Cut, on Disc 2! That version, I haven't watched yet, so have no idea what scenes do or do not exist in that one.

Pooch

3. Malick

Malick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect the DIRECTOR's CUT was sourced from the same print that was used for numerous screenings on Showtime and The Movie Channels in the USA around 1992. It is fairly poor and not properly letterboxed (check the final credits to see how much is cropped).

Another version of Manhunter with the Tooth Fairy sporting the Red Dragon tattoo surfaced around 1986, but only a few in-house people got to see it - before Mann cut it.

Full details are in Video Watchdog's special MANHUNTER issue no. 13 (Sep/Oct 1992).