1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manhunter directors cut

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk 2, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone specificly tell me what the extra footage is in this version distributed by anchor bay, in the double disk set?

I hear that the picture quality of the print provided is inferior.

I like this film a lot so, your wisdom could help or hinder a purchase.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Dirk,

Hope this helps you, seeing as I already own this set.

Disc 1 - contains the standard-length 117 minute edition of Manhunter, in widescreen 2.35:1, 16:9 print, and DD 5.1 sound. Looks stunning. Fair amount of extras including half-hour documentary, trailer, and interviews with cast and crew.

Disc 2 - 124 minute Director's Cut, in widescreen 2.20:1, 16:9 print (I think), and DD 2.0 stereo surround. The print is Michael Mann's own print, and the quality is about as good as VHS, so don't expect perfection here.

The extra footage is minimal, and depending on how much you like the film, will depend on whether or not you shell out hard-earned money for the double-DVD edition, or the single DVD edition.

However, one word of warning! There is actually about 6 different editions of "Manhunter" in existance. All prints are ever so slightly different, but none of them contains all the different footage. Your best bet, therefore, is to check out the following site, where they can give you all the details.

The site is at:
    http://website.lineone.net/~manhunter

Let me know if you do intend to purchase the set or not. Oh, and the additional enclosed literature with the single or double DVD set is totally awesome. All the material, is made to look like one of the FBI's/Will Graham's case-files! Very clever gimmick by Anchor Bay, and one worth collecting!

Pooch

3. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pooch,

a very informative reply. Checked out the website and found the different versions listed.

I shall buy this anchor bay version, as I rate this movie very highly and will purchase it along with the Region 2 "Silence of the lambs" & the japanese version of "Hannibal".

I think that "Manhunter" if one of those few films where the changes made from text to screen have improved the outcome. Where the other "Lector" movies had a very gothic feel to them, Michael Mann's opus is very modern, and clinical in it's visual design, which is a very different approach. The soundtrack and use of music embellishes the plot with telegraphing or mitigating the tension. Wonderful performances by Cox, Peterson and of course Noonan. How this got by on it's initial release without being a monster hit i'll never know.

Thanks again for your reply.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Dirk,

The reason it failed, in my opinion, is because I remember the first time I saw it, I just didn't feel it was any good. You have a detective, who can put himself in the minds of the killer, and then suddenly he knows everything about the killer. It seemed to me, that there were vast leaps in plotline, and I didn't feel that helped at all. (Plus, I didn't "get" the use of colour that Mann uses in almost all of his films. Obviously, having seen almost all of his works now, I am glad to say I love them!)

Yes, I admit, that's an incredibly dodgy way to label the movie, but that is ultimately what it is. However, after watching it on rental video, a few weeks later, it then popped-up on BBC2 in their old "Moviedrome" slot, and I watched and taped it. Second time around, everything clicked, and I began loving it. Every time thereafter, it gets that little bit better, and you begin to notice things.

It's one of those films that grows on you. The same happened to me, with "Silence Of The Lambs", and may happen too, with "Hannibal" (despite having not seen it yet!).

Glad you found my info, of some use. Hope you enjoy the DVD, when you get it.

Pooch