Manhunt for man who shot dead off duty police constable UPDATE: Suspect Found Dead

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BBC News - Clacton shooting: Police officer dead and one hurt by gunman

BBC News said:
An off-duty police officer has been shot dead and another man injured in an Essex seaside town.

Police were called at about 15:30 BST after gunfire was heard near Redbridge Road in Clacton-on-Sea.

Paul McKeever, chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales, said PC Ian Dibell had "demonstrated remarkable courage and bravery".

Officers are hunting Peter Reeve, 64, over the shooting. They said he was dangerous and should not be approached.

Armed officers are searching the town and residents have been advised to remain indoors.

Mr Reeve, who is believed to be armed, is described as white, about 5ft 10ins tall with short, greyish hair, wearing jeans and possibly with glasses. He comes from the Clacton area.

Mr McKeever said: "Our thoughts are with the family and friends of our colleague who has been killed in Essex. It's a very sad day indeed."

RIP PC Ian Dibell :(

Last edited:
One more, one more too many. :(

RIP PC Dibell.
Thoughts and condolences to your family from a fellow officer.

RIP to a brave colleague.

64-year old men should know better. :nono:

In theory, yes, but as we don't know anything about the chap - it's hard to really comment on it as there could be underlying mental issues - in which case they might not know any better.

Either way, a tragic loss indeed :(

What is the fascination with age when reporting tragedies such as this as the bloke's age is completely irrelevant.

The linked article makes reference to "Hazel Field, 75, who lives in Redbridge Road, said..." and "Patrick Mooney, 83, returned from a shopping trip....."

Wore Nowt said:
What is the fascination with age when reporting tragedies such as this as the bloke's age is completely irrelevant.

The linked article makes reference to "Hazel Field, 75, who lives in Redbridge Road, said..." and "Patrick Mooney, 83, returned from a shopping trip....."

I just think it helps people build a mental picture of the person involved.
Non other valid reason that I can see.

So is the fact the victim was an off duty police officer.

The only relevant issue is that some scuzz ball gunned down an innocent.

SimonH said:
So is the fact the victim was an off duty police officer.

The only relevant issue is that some scuzz ball gunned down an innocent.

Not really, a member of the public could have ran away. On or off duty a police officer is obliged to intervene. Sadly it looks like this sense of duty cost the officer his life.

Not really, a member of the public could have ran away. On or off duty a police officer is obliged to intervene. Sadly it looks like this sense of duty cost the officer his life.

That may be true, the point was however that what is sad is the death of an innocent, whether they be police or a teacher or unemployed ..it's sad.

Now i know what all the sirens and helicopter was about.It's only about 2 miles from where i live.

R.I.P

It's something that the police do all the time - often it's just the age that's given with no identity or other description. It is irrelevant, and it's ridiculous.

The shooter has been found dead in Writtle near Chelmsford, it's not too far from me.

As for the age think, it may not be totally relevant but it's just a little bit of information. Why do we need to know their names or what road they lived in? Should the report just state "a person shot another person in a street"? It's called reporting.

The shooter has been found dead in Writtle near Chelmsford, it's not too far from me.

As for the age think, it may not be totally relevant but it's just a little bit of information. Why do we need to know their names or what road they lived in? Should the report just state "a person shot another person in a street"? It's called reporting.

When it's near you,you need to know.Reporting wasn't enough for me as i didn't know about it until this morning,and i live in Clacton.

I agree with you, it was a rhetorical question :)

Should the report just state "a person shot another person in a street"?
If it's a choice between that and "an x-year old shot a y-year old" then yes that IS what the report should state.

Why?

If you lived here and was told some nutter was running about with a gun,wouldn't you want to know what he looked like?
Agreed. The age is relevant because it part of the description and helps the police track the person down via sitings from the general public. It also warns people about not approaching someone who fits the description.

SBT said:
If you lived here and was told some nutter was running about with a gun,wouldn't you want to know what he looked like?
That's twice you've misread me somehow :laugh:

I'm agreeing with you. I believe it IS relevant. Others are saying it isn't and I'm asking why.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom