Manhunt 2 Getting Dutch Release

shay0

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already, so for those who missed it... Manhunt is being released in Holland. Therefore, there will be a PAL version and the UK ban will be redundant :mad:

I wonder who we have to thank for that little gem?

Is it the fully uncut original version or is it the new completely edited version that Rockstar have done to ensure it goes through as M rated as opposed to AO in the US?.

TBH I've no idea. I just saw it as another way of making UK rulings redundant.

Is it the fully uncut original version or is it the new completely edited version that Rockstar have done to ensure it goes through as M rated as opposed to AO in the US?.
This is the fully uncut version, if it doesn't get released here evntually then I'll be tempted to import this one.

OK, so if this is the full uncut version as suggested, what is the point of having a rating system in the UK? It has to be a serious waste of money... I know these types of games have been discussed to death, but I'm now on about the "power" the UK Govt has to stop people playing them over here.

It's as if we (as in the UK) don't count when it comes to making rules. The bloody EU is quick enough to impose their rules on us when it suits them, so why not now? Only 1 country in the whole of Europe sees it as OK to allow kids (and let's not kid ourselves, they will be the players) to play this stuff. Then the rest of Europe have to sit back and watch their citizens play it against their wishes!!!

It's about time everyone started singing from the same hymn sheet... rant over.

OK, so if this is the full uncut version as suggested, what is the point of having a rating system in the UK? It has to be a serious waste of money... I know these types of games have been discussed to death, but I'm now on about the "power" the UK Govt has to stop people playing them over here.

I'm guessing the vast majority of people won't even realise it's even been released anywhere. Even if they do, they're going to need a credit card to order it from abroad, so they'll be over 18 anyway, I can't see too many parents buying it for their kids, although I'm sure they may be some.

It's as if we (as in the UK) don't count when it comes to making rules.

It seems like most other EU countries (especially the likes of France) pick and choose which EU laws work for their benefit and enforce, our lot over here just blindly follow every last one of them, whether it's to our advantage or not.

Is it actually getting released over in The Netherlands?

Or are people jumping the gun due to the Dutch government saying they can (not saying will, it's down to Rockstar) release it?

OK, so I was maybe a touch OTT last night and granted, wihout a CC or DC people won' be able to buy it. The problem is, if you read this article about it, the Dutch won't step in to block it's release because it's against their laws :rolleyes:

Now I'm not going all political, but it does raise a number of questions, like when is a game going to be so violent it get's a blanket ban? Or even, will it ever actually happen? I know it's been asked before about games getting too realistic for censors, but does this little story mean games can get as real as they want without being banned?

Food for thought :)

Is it actually getting released over in The Netherlands?

Officials in the Netherlands have given the green light to sell Manhunt 2 uncut in whichever form Rockstar desires. Take 2 have not said that they will be publishing it there yet, they've just got the go ahead to do so.

there's a 'scene' release online of apparently the Dutch PAL release of Manhunt 2 - getting reports that it's working as well :smashin: I don't condone this sort of copyright infringement, however it serves to show that the game will be released :smashin: fully uncut as the Netherlands wouldn't censor anything :thumbsup:

Yes, but that would mean having a modded PS2, which illegal in the first place.

I, for one, will patient and wait for a proper release wether I fork out for an American import version for my PSP being region free, or should it be actually released in Holland, I'll pick up a copy for my Wii or PS2.

I, for one, will patient and wait for a proper release wether I fork out for an American import version for my PSP being region free, or should it be actually released in Holland, I'll pick up a copy for my Wii or PS2.

i didn't say get the illegal copy for your illegal PS2, i just said it's proof that a copy of some kind will / has been released :smashin:

Not owning a PS2 illegal or otherwise, I was just curious why is modding a PS2 illegal? After all, it's not illegal to mod a DVD player to allow it to play multi-region DVDs, so what's the difference? Surely, if you own a PS2, what you do with it is your own affair, isn't it?

Its not illegal to have a modded ps2 or any other console for that matter. Its your property and you can do with it as you please. It is illegal to copy games though.

My understanding is that it is now illegal to sell or use mod-chips the UK due to the high court in London ruling that: the sale, promotion and use of console mod chips is illegal under the UK's implementation of the European Union Copyright Directive laws, which came into effect last October.

See this article about a recent arrest for modding services :

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6712&Itemid=2

Who knows were this leaves the likes of me who modded my own Gamecube and Xbox before the ruling and bought a pre-modded PS2 from a UK company (White-Dog). Am I meant to take them apart, remove the chips and bin my imported games :suicide:

Regarding the release of such a violent game I think it is the attitude of parents and retailers that needs to be looked at. Films can have far worse content in them without getting blanket banned, why is this different for games. The answer is because everyone knows that many parents will let their kids play any game they want. The rating system is further undermined as many shops don't properly enforce it.

Do they have far worse crime in Holland due to their liberal views regarding drugs, sex and violence? The answer is quite the opposite. Rather than the media choosing games to blame for the problems why don't they blame the people who let them have access.

Who knows were this leaves the likes of me who modded my own Gamecube and Xbox before the ruling and bought a pre-modded PS2 from a UK company (White-Dog). Am I meant to take them apart, remove the chips and bin my imported games :suicide:

It's crazy. Whilst I don't condone chipping consoles to play pirated games, I see no reason not to chip them to play imported games that aren't released here anyway.

Do they have far worse crime in Holland due to their liberal views regarding drugs, sex and violence? The answer is quite the opposite. Rather than the media choosing games to blame for the problems why don't they blame the people who let them have access.

Yep, it's much easier to blame "evil video games" for all the teenage violence etc..., before that it was video nasties and before that it was rock n roll, I dare say something else will come along later to replace video games too.

Yep, it's much easier to blame "evil video games" for all the teenage violence etc..., before that it was video nasties and before that it was rock n roll, I dare say something else will come along later to replace video games too.

Maybe it is the psycological affect of kids KNOWING how wrong they are playing these games that is warping their fragile little minds. With any luck they will blame ridiculous news coverage and Jack Thompson (the US attorney that keeps trying to get games banned) next time :rotfl:

and why exactly should Holland, who historically, are a bit more grown-up about the freedoms their people can enjoy, have to bow to some ridiculous law the the UK tries to enforce?

It works both ways you know.

Well the same modified version which got an 'M' rating in the US has been rejected by the BBFC. That's twice now the BBFC has refused to classify this game. When are the BBFC going to realize that Video games aren't just for kids. Lets hope the Dutch get an unedited release as it will work on UK machines.

Regarding the release of such a violent game I think it is the attitude of parents and retailers that needs to be looked at. Films can have far worse content in them without getting blanket banned, why is this different for games. The answer is because everyone knows that many parents will let their kids play any game they want. The rating system is further undermined as many shops don't properly enforce it.

Couldnt agree More:smashin:

I saw a sad news article on my local news show a few weekss ago. It featured a young lad who had lost total loss of his legs due to him contracting meningitis.

It showed him on a PS2, playing GTA: San Andreas!!....

He was about 12 if that:eek::nono:

Unbelievable! its the parents who should get rapped not the game makers:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom