Manhattan T3-R software update

Got hold of a T3-R the other day and very impressed with the functionality so far. Very speedy interface and reliable recording. The only things that seem glitchy are the iPlayer and YouTube apps, even when ethernet connected. The box crashed whilst watching a YouTube video in 4K HDR earlier, and watching a UHD HLG version of Doctor Who on iPlayer, the image started to glitch, then went kind of slo-mo for a few seconds before freezing completely. The remote was unresponsive so I had to pull the plug to reboot.
This was after updating the firmware to 2.03 as per @Clem_Dye 's instructions. Does anyone else get this? I'll contact Manhattan support tomorrow and see if it's being addressed.
I am on V2 and no probs with iPlayer although only had the box for 3 weeks.

Report it to Manhattan. I’m working with them at present to try get to the bottom of some intermittent picture and audio dropouts, on the 2.03 firmware. I had no issues on the 2.00 firmware, but that could have just been good luck. Minor issues aside, I really like my T3-R. Best PVR that I’ve ever owned, and I’ve had a few.

I've not long got one of these and I also get sound drop outs I tested hdr on YouTube and it crashed every time other sources fine like chromecast and lg oled needs another update I think?

What firmware are you running? The Youtube stuff is supposed to be fixed in the 2.03 firmware update. As for the drop-outs, I've just received the 2.03.02 debug software to help troubleshoot the odd audio and picture glitches that I'm seeing. I can't let you have the firmware, but if you could check the other bits then I can go back to Manhattan and let them know that someone is having the same issue as me. See post #18 in this thread for details of how to get the 2.03 firmware update.

Hi I'm running 2.00 drop outs frequent its every so often annoying

So, if you’re getting audio dropouts try updating to the 2.03 firmware then report back. I’m getting mainly audio dropouts with the occasional picture glitch on recordings. Things seemed fine on 2.00 but I wanted the Youtube fix which is 2.03, although that said I’ve tried any Youtube 4K HDR streams since I applied the update as getting to the root of the glitches on recordings is more important to me at present.

How do I update to 2.03 it says I have the latest version I just checked , thanks

As per post #18, above. It’s what Manhattan has released. If you check via the normal menus then your box won’t find anything. The narrative in the post came straight from Manhattan. The 2.03 update is an interim release that has been released to fix issues that only some customers are seeing, apparently, but it’s supposed to include the Youtube fix. That’s why you have to update via the hidden engineering menu, which incidentally, exposes a lip sync option for DD-encoded stuff. If you use that, if you have to, of course, then the normal lip sync adjustment is just for PCM/stereo audio. Don’t be put off my the ’debug’ text. The firmware isn’t test or debug software.

From what I understand, the 2.03 firmware fixes will be rolled into a formal update at some point in the future. If you can’t load it, and your box is definitely running 2.00 firmware, then I suggest that you report the audio dropouts to Manhattan, who will help.

Please let us know how you get on, and include details of your problems. For example, do you get dropouts on live viewing, recordings or both? Is it just audio, or video too? BTW, I’m not connected with Manhattan in any way, other than a customer, but I have a vested interest as I’m having a few issues with my box, and the dropout thing seems very similar to my issue.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for your informative post , I will update and report back

I've been in touch with Manhattan support and am now running 2.03 too. Can I just say how refreshing it is to be able to have direct and genuinely useful contact with the support department of a tech company?!
I agree @Clem_Dye - the T3-R is probably the best PVR I've ever used too. Simple, intuitive, responsive and incredibly quiet. It makes my old Sky Q box sound like it's powered by a diesel engine!
The YouTube glitches still seem to be apparent in 2.03 - I played a 4K (non HDR) video this morning only for it to zoom in to the top left quarter of the 2160P image and only play that quadrant full screen! I had to select 1080P from the YouTube stream quality menu to get it to play full frame, then it buffered back up to full screen 2160P.
Playing 4K HDR still seems to cause issues for me too. It takes a good 15-20 seconds for it to buffer everything up correctly and every time it switches streaming quality up from 1080 to 2160 it blanks out the screen as it sends out a resolution change via HDMI.
It's not an issue with my network as I have the T3-R hooked up via ethernet to a very solid 72-74Mbps connection. All other YouTube apps on my TV and Firestick don't have any issue. It seems to be something to do with the auto resolution switching on the box itself. I've told all this to Manhattan this morning so we'll see what they say.
As for all the Freeview PVR functions - I can't really fault them at all. The only tiny picture glitch I've seen was a brief 1 second moment of pixilation whilst playing back a recording from ITV HD. It seemed to occur at the time a second recording would have been starting on another channel (Channel 4 HD) so it may be linked to that. Again, I've passed this on to Manhattan.
Apart from that it's been spot on - all recordings have worked perfectly. I've had no lip sync or audio drop out problems at all.

@bingodisco: thanks for the post. A lot of what you mentioned in your post seems similar to the issues that I'm seeing. I have the debug software installed that the nice people at Manhattan sent me, and I'm hoping that it will help them get to the bottom of the problem. Like you, I'm still seeing some Youtube issues, mainly buffering, on the 4K HDR stuff that I tried, but that same stuff played back fine on my LG TV. I definitely agree with you that it's a refreshing change to get a decent level of support. It's one of the reasons I went for a T3-R over the competition. To my mind, it's more important than having all of the latest whizzy features.

Please keep updating this thread, and I'll do the same. I'm sure that it will help other T3-R owners, or those thinking of buying one.

Hi guys I updated to 2.03 and still get the odd sound glitch but seems abit better on live content not getting any issues with recorded content .the utube still doesn't run properly it starts ok then buffers screen goes blank and then back on so thats not fixed ,but overall its not a bad pvr, just unplugged all of the sky q gear and cancelled the TV horray!!!

I'd love to be able to cancel sky and it not have much of an impact. Ufortunately with a daughter at home using the sky q mini box to watch Sky on her TV in her bedroom I'm struggling to be able to justify cancelling sky really as I can see it causing a lot of inconvenience for my daughter. I need a freeview PVR you can watch on more than one TV at once and unfortunately such a thing doesn't seem to exist. Still very much interested in the T3-R though

I see your problem your daughter would be lost for a while I'm sure , the trouble is with sky you get so used to it and it's convenience but we couldn't justify it anymore all the channels we watched in the end was 1 - 5 as there was nothing much on the other channels even over xmas.we have prime and Netflix and Disney + and find the quality of pic and sound far superior to sky.The pic and sound on the Manhattan and I'm sticking my neck out here is better imo and the ui is mega quick we use that box in the lounge and the other 2 TVs run from the aerial in the loft never thought I would ditch sky but needs must

@deekay37 : please report your issues to Manhattan. It will help them resolve any issues. You seem to be the third person here, including me, whose having sound/video glitches and issues with Youtube. If the company doesn't hear about these issues they won't get addressed.

@zAndy1 : go for a T3-R and get it set-up and running, which will give your daughter time to watch the stuff that she wants and for you to get familiar with the new kit as your Sky sub. lapses. Access to Sky stuff can be handled cheaply via NowTV. A cheap Amazon FireTV stick will sort that, and a NowTV sub. will be a lot less than you're paying now, I bet!

I'd love to be able to cancel sky and it not have much of an impact. Ufortunately with a daughter at home using the sky q mini box to watch Sky on her TV in her bedroom I'm struggling to be able to justify cancelling sky really as I can see it causing a lot of inconvenience for my daughter. I need a freeview PVR you can watch on more than one TV at once and unfortunately such a thing doesn't seem to exist. Still very much interested in the T3-R though
@zAndy1 : go for a T3-R and get it set-up and running, which will give your daughter time to watch the stuff that she wants and for you to get familiar with the new kit as your Sky sub. lapses. Access to Sky stuff can be handled cheaply via NowTV. A cheap Amazon FireTV stick will sort that, and a NowTV sub. will be a lot less than you're paying now, I bet!
Do as above or another way, if you can use a HDMI splitter to send a signal from the PVR to her tv. Then use the HDMI to IR remote adaptors for remote control. I use this and it works a treat from my current Humax 5000.

Now TV is the best way for Sky content without Sky.

Carl
Amazon product ASIN B07DW2445XAmazon product ASIN B01A6WBMC6

I emailed manhattan support and they are looking into my issues , I told them hdr does not work properly at all on utube and bbc iplayer running hdr hlg it crashes and then the remote becomes unresponsive again no issues with other devices.

Manhattan support has identified the problem with my picture and audio glitches, they think. It seems to be something to do with the negative lip sync (a feature introduced in firmware version 2.0) that I need to set because of the awful lip sync issues that I have with my LG TV (never again!). They have some more data to analyse, so I'm waiting for some further updates. Who'd have thought that watching TV could be so difficult? :rolleyes:

That's good to know @Clem_Dye - great that they've identified a potential source so quickly. I've sent Manhattan support a video of the weird YouTube 4K zooming glitch I get and they're looking into that. Seems like it could be linked to videos that have ads at a different resolution before the main video starts.

Manhattan support has identified the problem with my picture and audio glitches, they think. It seems to be something to do with the negative lip sync (a feature introduced in firmware version 2.0) that I need to set because of the awful lip sync issues that I have with my LG TV (never again!). They have some more data to analyse, so I'm waiting for some further updates. Who'd have thought that watching TV could be so difficult? :rolleyes:

I've always had lipsync issues with LG TVs , no issues whatsoever with the Sony TVs I've had. Hope they don't fix it for LG TVs and put it out on Sony TVs instead..

I've always had lipsync issues with LG TVs , no issues whatsoever with the Sony TVs I've had. Hope they don't fix it for LG TVs and put it out on Sony TVs instead..
Yep, I've always avoided them. My brother returned a very expensive LG set because he couldn't get the lip-sync sorted.
I've tested my T3-R on Panasonic and Samsung TVs and have to say the lip-sync's been spot on with both of them, no adjustment necessary. Looped through my Pioneer amp via HDMI too.

Manhattan isn’t doing a fix just for LG TVs. The issue that I’m experiencing is some sort of buffer under run caused by my needing negative lip sync to fix my LG’s appalling lip sync issues. The moment that this wretched lockdown is over I will be replacing my LG with a Sony. Previous Sony and Panasonic TVs that I’ve had/still have aren’t plagued with this issue. I’ve just exposed a possible issue that Manhattan need to address as part of their regular code maintenance.

So just how fast is this box at navigating? I’m pleased to be ditching SKYQ finally but I did like the speed of the box (most of the time)

Apparently the Humax are dog slow so I’m looking at this

So just how fast is this box at navigating? I’m pleased to be ditching SKYQ finally but I did like the speed of the box (most of the time)

Apparently the Humax are dog slow so I’m looking at this
I’ve also switched from Q and the T3-R is just as fast, if not faster, than the Sky Q interface. It’s a slick little box with a very speedy EPG. Quicker at responding when rewinding live TV too, and skipping through ad breaks on recordings. The box is fan-less and has a near silent hard drive so it’s much quieter than Q too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom