Manhattan T3-R or BT DTR-T4000?

tim1882

My BT DTR T2100 stopped working (it froze so I switched it off and now it won’t power back on) so I need a new PVR.

At the moment it’s between the Manhattan T3-R and the BT DTR-T4000

The Manhattan has good reviews and apparently has a very fast and slick UI. That was a real weakness of my old T2100 – it was frustratingly slow and poorly designed (it needed 6 presses across 4 different buttons to bring up the list of recorded shows! Should be a single key press considering it’s primary purpose is recording...).

The pro of the T4000 for me is the BT app so I can search programmes and set recordings easily/remotely (that’s quite a big plus for me). I understand an app is mooted for the Manhattan but there is no ETA as yet.
But if the UI and speed of the T4000 are the same as the T2100 I think I'll make do without an app and hope Manhattan introduce one soon.

Does anyone have a view, and specifically what is the UI/menu like on the T4000 – any better than the 2100?

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The only way to find out, if people don't post here, is to check-out any available reviews. I think that any remote app. that Manhattan produce will end-up being a feature of their next PVR, which I believe (but don't quote me) will be called the T4-R. I thought I read somewhere that this was due this year, but with Covid and the fact that Manhattan's kit is made in PRC, who knows?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I was in a similar position last year and actually ended up going for a Humax Aura instead.

There's 2 sides to the interface, used for FV and as a PVR I personally find the UI slick and efficient, recordings have a dedicated button so easy to access (I don't remember it being so onerous to get to them on the BT box though)

The aura app is OK and works for remote recording but it also lets you watch live TV and recordings when on your home network, it also has a basic web interface which I use a lot on my iMac, it's a basic interface but actually works well.

The Android OS is slightly less nice to use but other than a lack of Netflix is perfectly usable.

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Xenomorph

The T3-R is ultra quick and responsive. For me that's important. I like the UI, very intuitive and easy to use.

tim1882

@Xenomorph Please can you tell me what increments you can skip forward and back when watching recorded content? e.g in order to skip ads.
Is the skip time period customisable?

On my old toppy I set buttons to fwd skip 4 mins and 1 min, and rewind 15 secs and 30 secs, which was ideal!

Xenomorph

@Xenomorph Please can you tell me what increments you can skip forward and back when watching recorded content? e.g in order to skip ads.
Is the skip time period customisable?

On my old toppy I set buttons to fwd skip 4 mins and 1 min, and rewind 15 secs and 30 secs, which was ideal!

Oh nice, a fellow Toppy user! I still have my trusty 5800 in use on the second TV. Do not expect anything approaching the quality or vast configurability of the MyStuff UI. That is just one amazing piece of software, and will never be equalled or surpassed by any other PVR. Ever!

The skip period on the T3-R is selectable, but doesn't have the flexibility of the Toppy, which could assign various values to the coloured buttons.
And it's not even ideal, because you can't use an arbitrary number for the skip period - it's a choice of 10, 30, 60 seconds. Would it have killed them to provide a textbox for you to enter a number?

I tell you, the dev team at Manhattan (or any PVR maker) could learn a lot by using a Toppy with MyStuff for a few days.

The full user guide is here for your info:

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom