jamie-m

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got myself a Manhattan T3-R to replace BT YouView DTR-T4000 after cancelling BT TV.

Very impressed with it in many ways, it’s much faster and more responsive than the BT box with a better to navigate guide, although the picture quality is slightly softer to my eyes.

Anyway I have an issue with lip sync that’s really frustrating me. On the HD channels it’s often Noticeably out of sync. Sometimes putting it in standby or switching between HD and SD channel resolves it but sometimes not.

It’s only on the Freeview HD channels. SD channels and on demand apps are unaffected.

I’ve tried changing all audio setting on the box and on TV to no avail. Likewise full factory reset doesn’t help.

It’s connected directly to an LG OLED B8, so no amp or sound bar to adjust.

Latest firmware 2.04

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

That’s unfortunate. I also have some HDD clicking when the drive isn’t in use. Thought I might have a dud box but reading through that thread it seems part of a wider issue.

Does the Humax Aura or Arris Freesat box have similar lip sync issues?

I know they have other issues but could live with most. The lip sync is just so noticeable and distracting.

Lip sync is an issue that has plagued me since the day that I bought my 2019 LG TV. WebOS stripped out the negative lip sync issue that was available in the older NetOS operating system.

I’ve found that every device that I connect to my LG, other oddly than Panasonic PVRs, results in appalling sync problems. The Manhattan T3-R does have a negative lip sync option in the 2.04 firmware, but operates in 25ms chunks, which is too coarse for me, so Manhattan gave me a custom 2.04-09 update, which operates in 10ms increments. That’s better, but what I really need is 5ms, which according to Manhattan is not available via driver that they use.

Manhattan splits the lip sync adjustment for 2.0 and 5.1 audio, and the 5.1 audio option is hidden by default.

To access the DD lip sync menu

1. Go to: Settings > Help
  2. Press: Red > Blue > Yellow > Yellow > Green
  3. Adjust the "Surround Delay" to whatever value you want. When "Surround Delay" is set to any value other than 0 it becomes the active adjustment for Dolby and the standard "Lip Sync Delay" setting in the Picture & Sound Settings menu affects only Stereo PCM.
I have no idea why Manhattan hides this option, but they do. Anyway, I did find that 2.0 and 5.1 audio does often require different sync values.

Ultimately, the only real fix is to swap the LG TV for something else, which I plan to do when I can afford it. I‘ve not had any lip sync issues on my previous Sony HD or Panasonic 4K TV kit, at least that could not be readily resolved. LG knows about such problems and always blames other manufacturers. Why is it that every other manufacturer makes incompatible kit, never LG? LG doesn’t want to fix the issue. Period.

Lip sync does seem to be less of an issue watching SD channels on the Manhattan via my LG, but it’s still adrift. Setting TruMotion to Clear on the LG might help, as will tweaking the related settings. Before you ask, no, I have no idea why picture settings would affect lip sync. That’s how messed up the LG software is.

HTH.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for such wonderfully detailed and helpful information! It’s very much appreciated 😀 👍🏻

In the time I’ve had the LG B8 I’ve only used the BT YouView/Humax DTR-T4000 and an Amazon Fire TV cube both of which have no sync issues.

The B8 is a 2018 release I believe so perhaps software related.

I’ll give the lip sync settings on the T3-R and the TruMotion settings some adjustment in the morning and see if I can get the improvements I’m looking for if not I’ll return it.

BT have already sent me a return package for the Humax box but I’ve had it since 2017 so might see if I can keep it or if it really has to go back.

It’s a bit sluggish and the overhauled UI isn’t so good but it has no sync issues and would save money on replacing it so might be best option at the moment - if it’s possible.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Read your 2017 contract wrt the box and BT service?

Often these providers ask for them back when, in fact, they became your property on completion of the initial contract period.
All must offer to recover and recycle unwanted electronics - box, router, modems etc.,. - so will send/offer to send return packages. WEEE regulations I believe.

Some I believe now only 'loan' them ($ky Q and I think the latest BT 4k boxes???) in the latest contracts.

If they can / do issue a 'fine' for non-return (within the contract terms) then that may be a price you are willing to pay for your box? Perhaps.

Yes, if you have a working box and can keep it, go for that. Just why BT wants old kit back is not really clear to me. It’s not as if it’s current kit that could be sent to another customer. It will end up in landfill, in all probably. Not very green.

Again many thanks for the help.

It seems as I had the BT box pre changing of contract terms in Dec 2019 I can keep the BT box with no charge 😀

At this point it seems the best option and I’ve packed the Manhattan up ready for return.

Before that I did have a look around at the settings mentioned and found similar to yourself @Clem_Dye that while there was a slight improvement it wasn’t really a proper fix.

I really do hope this is something Manhattan will be able to fix in future firmware as otherwise it’s a fast, responsive box with a clean UI and easy to navigate guide it really is unfortunate this is what let’s it down.

I also had Lip-Sync problems with my T3-R connected to my Denon AVR Receiver until i added an Optical cable between the T3-R and Denon. The good thing about the T3-R is you still get DD 5.1 from content that's encoded with it from it's Optical output and zero Lip Sync problems like you get from the T3-Rs HDMI output. The only difference is that the T3-Rs HDMI outputs DD+ 5.1 and it's Optical outputs DD 5.1 so no great difference really in sound quality between them:thumbsup:

I also had Lip-Sync problems with my T3-R connected to my Denon AVR Receiver until i added an Optical cable between the T3-R and Denon. The good thing about the T3-R is you still get DD 5.1 from content that's encoded with it from it's Optical output and zero Lip Sync problems like you get from the T3-Rs HDMI output. The only difference is that the T3-Rs HDMI outputs DD+ 5.1 and it's Optical outputs DD 5.1 so no great difference really in sound quality between them:thumbsup:
I have to do the same thing with my LG/Manhattan/Yamaha combo. In my case I’m certain it’s the LG Ta. that’s at fault because I get exactly the same issue if I connect my Humax Freesat box to the TV.

FWIW I have lots of lip-sync issues with my t3r + Samsung QLED + Yamaha soundbar. I have HDMI from t3r to TV then on to soundbar (this gave the best functionality). I've pretty much given up trying to fix it...

FWIW I have lots of lip-sync issues with my t3r + Samsung QLED + Yamaha soundbar. I have HDMI from t3r to TV then on to soundbar (this gave the best functionality). I've pretty much given up trying to fix it...
Have you tried using an Optical cable instead?

Have you tried using an Optical cable instead?
No, for several reasons: because the optical port on the Yamaha is already taken by another device; because the sound has to route via the TV (otherwise there'll be no sound when I use TV smart features); because I want the ARC functionality that HDMI provides.

I went for a big time solution to fix most of the lip sync problems, but I now think that as much as my old LG TV was a mess when it came to lip sync, the T3-R isn’t perfect.

I swapped my LG TV for a Sony and added a Samsung soundbar into the mix. End to end as it were, is now connected via HDMI eARC, which mandates lip sync.

On older HDMI ARC, lip sync is optional. Anyway, with lip sync set to zero on the T3-R I don’t see any lip sync issues on recorded material, but still do on live material. This does seem to vary by channel. As I use Freesat for live viewing the lip sync issues on live viewing on the T3-R aren’t really an issue. I could try and tweak the settings, but it’s not worth it.

Perhaps the forthcoming T4-R PVR will i prove things further.

Hi all, on Saturday I set up a brand new Panasonic TV to my Manhattan T3-R and have since then experienced a fair bit of strange behaviour, not least occasional lip synch issues both when watching direct TV and via the Manhattan.

Also occasionally it changes channel when pressing volume down!

I used the original HDMI that came with the Manhattan and nothing else at present is connected other than an HDMI ARC lead plugged into the TV at one end waiting for my A3060 to be installed to the other.

Much as I love my Manhattan, it really does give me a headache that I can well do without.

Jay.

I see lip sync on some channels on my Manhattan T3-R via my Sony 4K TV on live TV. ITV1HD seems to be the worst offender. Luckily, I haven’t noticed any issues on recorded material, and as I don’t use the box for live viewing I’ve ignored the problem.

I previously worked with Manhattan trying to sort out lip sync issues when the box was connected to my LG 4K TV. In the end, I had to use HDMI for video, and use an optical link into my soundbar for audio. Way too much of a faff. That said, LG TVs are prone to lip sync issues. Youtube on my LG is unwatchable because the lip sync is so bad, a known issue apparently, but one that remains unfixed. Nice. I digress.

The latest firmware has a lip sync adjustment of 10ms, the lowest value that the driver supports, and in testing, a negative value of 10ms got close. I haven’t looked at the latest firmware to see if both positive and negative adjustments are still there, as I have no need to use the feature, but it might be worth trying that.

Changing the HDMI cable is unlikely to make any difference. I would start by talking to Manhattan.

"Changing the HDMI cable is unlikely to make any difference. I would start by talking to Manhattan".

Ha! It was Manhattan that told me to use their HDMI lead (when I complained about another issue) and not the old one that was connected to my now defunct DVD/HDD recorder which I had been using.

Actually Manhattan called me earlier today regards an e-mail I sent them over the weekend about the remote not pairing with the new Panasonic remote.

I have to say, their customer service is second to none....in my experience.

Jay.

Well, their cable is 4K rated, so if you were using an older HDMI cable that might make sense. I use Amazon 4K cables throughout my set-up, but I’ve never heard of an HDMI cable causing lip sync issues.

No, the lip synch issues (which are sporadic so difficult to 'prove') have only been apparent since Saturday when I set up the new Panasonic TV using the Manhattan supplied cable.

It was with the old (about 12 years old) HDMI cable that I had other issues but never lip synch.

Another recent issue is the fast skip back button which I've set to 10 seconds. It sometimes goes back about 3 seconds or as much as 30 whilst watching recorded material.

Jay..

Interestingly I am also having issues with the skip back button - since the latest firmware last week (no other changes to the system) so your skip issues could be related to that upgrade rather than your new TV.

My skp back is set to 15 sec and I have found it seems to skip back the correct amount but then jump forward again either to where it was or possibly even further forward. This is not something I had seen prior to the upgrade. eg if I want to just skip back to catch something I missed I am finding that much harder to achieve than before. Sometimes it will be OK after a couple of presses.

Something to report to Manhattan. Sounds like a bug.

"My skip back is set to 15 sec and I have found it seems to skip back the correct amount but then jump forward again either to where it was or possibly even further forward".

Actually that is precisely what mine is doing, sometimes going forward further than I have yet watched.

Glad I'm not the only one. I feel an e-mail to HQ might be in order.

Jay.

I have just contacted Manhattan re the skipping bug, let's see what they say...

Helpfully, their own site asks for your software version in a picklist but does not have an option for v2.05 :/

I have just contacted Manhattan re the skipping bug, let's see what they say...

Helpfully, their own site asks for your software version in a picklist but does not have an option for v2.05 :/
Wondered whether you heard back from them? I have since late 2023 started experiencing the same issue (try to go back then it jumps back to current position again).

If you email them they should send you instructions on how to download a patch to fix the skip problem. It's a series of button presses of the remote.

Cheers Tom

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom