Manhattan T3-R Freeview Play PVR Review & Comments

When I contacted Manhattan about this they told me resume playback doesn't work if you're only a couple of minutes into the recording. In those cases it defaults to start at the beginning of the recording.

When I contacted Manhattan about this they told me resume playback doesn't work if you're only a couple of minutes into the recording. In those cases it defaults to start at the beginning of the recording.
In my situation I was about 50% through an hour recording. It seems to be related to turning the device off whilst in playback. I will just remember to press stop first in the future.
I am quite impressed with this box and if Manhattan introduces a few of the staple subscription apps in the future it would become my only streaming device.

For those of you who've registered their box with Manhattan, there's an optional update released today. It's via a special sub menu which needs a code to access. I updated mine as I did have YouTube freeze on two occasions. The only solution was to unplug and reboot the box. I haven't tested whether this update has solved the problem.

We're releasing an optional v2.02 patch for your T3-R today. While we know most of our customers have had no problem accessing and enjoying BritBox and the other new features in the v2.00 update, we’re aware some of you have been having issues and sincerely apologise.
The major issue we've had reported is that some people have found their T3-R keeps rebooting shortly after booting. This is due to an issue with the way the v2.00 software works when there is more than one Wi-Fi access point (e.g. mesh networks, extenders, etc) and there is a change in their relative strengths. We've resolved this for those of you affected.
There are a handful of other issues that have been reported by some customers and with Christmas fast approaching we wanted to address these before the break. As there are still other issues we are working on we are making this an optional update and will be releasing a bigger update in the new year. We recommend you only update if you have multiple Wi-Fi access points, are affected by the above reboot issue or are affected by any of the following:
  • Content in ITV Hub cannot be launched from ITV or ITV HD in the TV Guide (Error SS700). This has been resolved in v2.02 and the workaround in v2.00 is to launch the content from Search or directly in ITV Hub
  • YouTube playback is poor and the app exits or the box freezes. This is related to an improvement we made for smoothing fast forwarding and rewinding of recordings. We've temporarily reverted this improvement to avoid problems in YouTube.
  • The recordings menu appears empty and only the Schedule is accessible. We suspect this is due to a change we made to HDD initialisation as part of a number of changes to resolve the T3-R sometimes failing to wake from standby. We've reverted this change.
  • Unexpected partial/failed recordings. This is not specific to v2.00 but a long-standing issue related to HDD initialisation and standby synchronisation that occurs randomly in some boxes more than others. This has now been resolved.

I have registered my device with Manhattan. How is this menu accessed to update the software to v2.02 as I cant access catch-up on itv through the tv guide as it given me error ss700.

Thanks

S

I have registered my device with Manhattan. How is this menu accessed to update the software to v2.02 as I cant access catch-up on itv through the tv guide as it given me error ss700.

Thanks

S

Hi, I'm afraid I deleted the email with the instructions.
If I were you I'd email them and I'm sure they'll pass them on. It involved pressing a few buttons in sequence and then inputting a code.

Here you go:
1609514846390.png

Hi all.
I've had this box since last Thursday and it replaces me having to use the Youview app that came pre-installed with my Sony Bravia. Not that that app wasn't any good but I wanted to be able to record and pause live TV, something that is not possible on the Youview app on my TV. I know I could have used the Freeview app in conjunction with an ex HDD but that operation proved to be clumsy and not a good option for me. I like this PVR. Its fast, responsive and has excellent PQ on both HD and SD (live and recorded) is quiet in operation and has great sound, but I use a JBL pseudo 5.1 soundbar and not an all bells ringing 7.1 amp setup. The remote is great but I have a Harmony One remote so I don't use it. Must say the setting up and operation with my Harmony remote was quick and easy and works flawlesly. This box suits my needs perfectly and is far better than using my TVs Youview app. Will be even better once Manhattan release a mobile app in the future.
I do have a question though. How do I add content into the watchlist? And it's only catch up services (iplayer etc) that can be added into the watchlist?
Great PVR 9/10.

Last edited:
Hi all.
I've had this box since last Thursday and it replaces me having to use the Youview app that came pre-installed with my Sony Bravia. Not that that app wasn't any good but I wanted to be able to record and pause live TV, something that is not possible on the Youview app on my TV. I know I could have used the Freeview app in conjunction with an ex HDD but that operation proved to be clumsy and not a good option for me. I like this PVR. Its fast, responsive and has excellent PQ on both HD and SD (live and recorded) is quiet in operation and has great sound, but I use a JBL pseudo 5.1 soundbar and not an all bells ringing 7.1 amp setup. The remote is great but I have a Harmony One remote so I don't use it. Must say the setting up and operation with my Harmony remote was quick and easy and works flawlesly. This box suits my needs perfectly and is far better than using my TVs Youview app. Will be even better once Manhattan release a mobile app in the future.
I do have a question though. How do I add content into the watchlist? And it's only catch up services (iplayer etc) that can be added into the watchlist?
Great PVR 9/10.

Do you find the fact it 'only' has 2 tuners to be an issue very often? Definitely interested in this PVR , unless Humax sort the aura out and the aura app is decent then that might just trump the T3-R..

Do you find the fact it 'only' has 2 tuners to be an issue very often? Definitely interested in this PVR , unless Humax sort the aura out and the aura app is decent then that might just trump the T3-R..

No it's not an issue for me. I can record 2 simultaneous programs whilst watching a third live.
That's good enough for me. Also I've sorted out how to add on demand TV to the box's Watchlist. You just go into search box on the main screen (magnifying glass icon) and type the name of the show or film you're looking for. Once it appears press OK and a window appears that says watch now or add to Watchlist. It works very fast but of course once the show has expired on whatever catchup service you're selecting it from it will expire as well on your watchlist. Brilliant.

Last edited:
I have had theT3-R for a couple of weeks and have been surprised I have not found it a problem even though I previously had the 3 tuner Humax 5000. It is helped by it's search for alternative feature; i.e. if you choose 3 clashing recordings the box instantly offers you any alternative transmissions on plus1 channels or whatever. I did briefly have the Aura (mine was faulty) but I think I prefer the T3-R interface although to be fair I only had the Aura for a day.

It is certainly a joy to use after the clunky Humax 5000. i.e one button press for skip/ can get info during playback and generally just less cluttered and much faster.

I've had a couple of problems with mine freezing on the recordings page. It's recorded everything, it just froze when accessing the page. 1st time needed to be unplugged, the 2nd time switching off and on solved it.
I'll keep an eye on it; otherwise it's been flawless and the interface and speed are both very good.

Can it (or anything else) save a program that's started in the past but it has buffered? (And might or might not still be on?) Sometimes I leave my PVR on the channel of something I plan to watch, so if I get distracted I don't miss the start (or for Ad-skipping), then something else comes up and I'd like to record it, but currently can't as quick-record only starts at the current time, despite it having all the data in the buffer (this is from a channel without a catch-up service)?

My original JVC hard-disk recorder (from way way back) used to do this and it was useful often enough for me to remember it. (That also has a pro-level of shuttle control, never again seen, instant forwards/backwards at any speed, ah the good old days.) IIRC it just allowed you to start recording from some point in the buffer you'd gone back to, then stop either by pressing stop or setting a multiple of 15 minutes to continue recording for.

These days I use Panasonic PVRs, as they were way slicker than the Humax I had beforehand. (Plus you can record stuff to Blu-ray, should you ever want to, I don't really.) They last for ever, one has stuff from the 2012 Olympics on it (some in 3D, if anyone remembers the Beeb sending that over-the-air).

Can it (or anything else) save a program that's started in the past but it has buffered? (And might or might not still be on?) Sometimes I leave my PVR on the channel of something I plan to watch, so if I get distracted I don't miss the start (or for Ad-skipping), then something else comes up and I'd like to record it, but currently can't as quick-record only starts at the current time, despite it having all the data in the buffer (this is from a channel without a catch-up service)?

My original JVC hard-disk recorder (from way way back) used to do this and it was useful often enough for me to remember it. (That also has a pro-level of shuttle control, never again seen, instant forwards/backwards at any speed, ah the good old days.) IIRC it just allowed you to start recording from some point in the buffer you'd gone back to, then stop either by pressing stop or setting a multiple of 15 minutes to continue recording for.

These days I use Panasonic PVRs, as they were way slicker than the Humax I had beforehand. (Plus you can record stuff to Blu-ray, should you ever want to, I don't really.) They last for ever, one has stuff from the 2012 Olympics on it (some in 3D, if anyone remembers the Beeb sending that over-the-air).
From the on-line Manhatten T3-R Manual

The T3•R is always recording the channel you’re watching and will store (‘buffer’) up to the last 2 hours. When you change channel, what had previously been recorded is cleared and recording starts again. There are many ways to take advantage of Live Pause;

(,,,)
When watching a programme and you press ®, anything that’s in the Live Pause buffer will be saved along with the rest of the programme

Edit @jon9001 Actually when I tried the buffer save it it only seems to record the part of the buffer that contains the current prog, ie it re-sets when a new prog starts, I could be wrong only did one quick experiment.

Can anyone tell me if you can change the playback speed (i.e. with audio) with the youtube app, like on a computer? Would be great if you can do this on Freeview recordings too (like Tivo V6) but I imagine that is less likely? Also considering the Humax and also smart tv's with USB recording, if anyone can generalise if these are now common features. e,g. My lg tv can for youtube but not recordings and I have an old now tv black box but the youtube app does not support changing playback speed.

I've noticed a weird thing with mine. If I switch the boxes output from 1080p to 4k to my 4k Bravia, the picture turns into the reverse of the dreaded soap opera effect. It turns HD programs such as eastenders etc from the normal video like effect to an almost film like look. Also the motion becomes less smooth. What is the reason for this? I've looked into the HDMI1 input settings on my Bravia where its input is half expecting a video setting that would sort this but there is nothing. Must be that the box is up scaling the image from 1080p and the TV isn't??? Not a big issue as the 1080p PQ is superb but I was thinking about watching 4k YouTube videos from the box without having to switch the output settings everytime I want to use the YouTube app.

Last edited:
Death of a Panasonic DVD recorder and failure of a Firestick, prompted a purchase of a Manhattan T3-R to go with MIL's new LG 4K telly. It seems to be the answer to her prayers as she particularly wanted catchup TV.

Following setup today I have 4 questions.

1 No Dolby sound available. I have changed a sound setting so now at least have audio but is there something I should be doing to get better sound? Not essential as she is hard of hearing anyway!

2 When you turn TV on it doesn't go straight to the Manhattan box . How can I change this? MIL gets confused when confronted with tv home screen (so many small icons) and won't remember how to get to the Manhattan's home page from there.

3 I have paired the remotes apart from the ON/OFF function. Just can't seem to do it for some reason. It means she will have to continue using the awful LG "Magic Remote" to switch off. Any solution please?

4 As this is a 4K telly are there any settings I should be tweaking on the Manhattan to make sure I get the best out of it?

Many thanks

Death of a Panasonic DVD recorder and failure of a Firestick, prompted a purchase of a Manhattan T3-R to go with MIL's new LG 4K telly. It seems to be the answer to her prayers as she particularly wanted catchup TV.

1 No Dolby sound available. I have changed a sound setting so now at least have audio but is there something I should be doing to get better sound? Not essential as she is hard of hearing anyway!

2 When you turn TV on it doesn't go straight to the Manhattan box . How can I change this? MIL gets confused when confronted with tv home screen (so many small icons) and won't remember how to get to the Manhattan's home page from there.

3 I have paired the remotes apart from the ON/OFF function. Just can't seem to do it for some reason. It means she will have to continue using the awful LG "Magic Remote" to switch off. Any solution please?

4 As this is a 4K telly are there any settings I should be tweaking on the Manhattan to make sure I get the best out of it?

Many thanks
I am not sure there is a way to make the HDMI input that you have connected the Manhatten to be the default but have you got the AV button on the Manhatten remote to learn the TVs AV select button? That might help.

Edit see page 21 of the Get Started 'manual'.

Last edited:
As for question 1. Is there not a digital audio setting in the Manhattan's sound settings? There is on my box and I get DD playback to my soundbar.

Q2. You can set the Manhattan's output to 4k (it doesn't say 4K but it's the higher setting than 1080p in the boxes video settings) but take a look at my post above regarding this as it produces a weird film like quality that just doesn't look right on regular HD broadcasts with the higher setting on my 4K Bravia. Also messes up the motion so I just output the box at 1080p and the PQ and motion is excellent. As far as I'm aware nothing available on freeview is broadcast higher than 1080p anyway and that option in the machine is for watching 4K YouTube videos, so your mother in law will probably not be worried about that anyway?

Many thanks
1) Freeview gives PCM or DD+ audio. The DD+ audio is only available on HD channels, and is pretty limited to films, recent dramas, that sort of thing. If using a soundbar, set the LG TV's audio to passthrough. I get DD5.1 audio from my T3-R via my LG TV to my soundbar this way. Sadly, I'm plagued with lip sync issues, an annoying LG issue. If you're only using the TV's speakers set the T3-R to PCM, stereo, or whatever it's called.

2) If you leave the TV on the relevant HDMI input the it should behave as you expect. However, a better way is to enable CEC in the T3-R so that when it's powered-up the TV will switch to the correct HDMI port. Optionally, as I recall, you can also have the TV power down if the T3-R is put into standby. I prefer not to use CEC, but it does generally work well enough.

3) See (2). Use the Manhattan remote. You can get simpler LG remotes to replace the Magic Remote. I agree, they do take time to get used to. eBay is your friend here. I bought a genuine (or so it seems) LG AKB73715601 remote from eBay for about a tenner. There are others out there. Just look for one that has the same set of buttons.

4) Picture settings are a personal preference. The T3-R has no picture settings to speak of, only the relevant resolution, HDR and so forth. Tweak the picture settings on the LG TV to suit.

3) See (2). Use the Manhattan remote. You can get simpler LG remotes to replace the Magic Remote. I agree, they do take time to get used to. eBay is your friend here. I bought a genuine (or so it seems) LG AKB73715601 remote from eBay for about a tenner. There are others out there. Just look for one that has the same set of buttons.
I have enabled the buttons on Manhattan remote to control everything but the on off button. Wont control that at all. Have just had to go over because she switched TV off on the LG TV remote and then couldn't get back to the box!

1) Freeview gives PCM or DD+ audio. The DD+ audio is only available on HD channels, and is pretty limited to films, recent dramas, that sort of thing. If using a soundbar, set the LG TV's audio to passthrough. I get DD5.1 audio from my T3-R via my LG TV to my soundbar this way. Sadly, I'm plagued with lip sync issues, an annoying LG issue. If you're only using the TV's speakers set the T3-R to PCM, stereo, or whatever it's called.

2) If you leave the TV on the relevant HDMI input the it should behave as you expect. However, a better way is to enable CEC in the T3-R so that when it's powered-up the TV will switch to the correct HDMI port. Optionally, as I recall, you can also have the TV power down if the T3-R is put into standby. I prefer not to use CEC, but it does generally work well enough.

4) Picture settings are a personal preference. The T3-R has no picture settings to speak of, only the relevant resolution, HDR and so forth. Tweak the picture settings on the LG TV to suit.
Sorry , what is CEC please?

I am not sure there is a way to make the HDMI input that you have connected the Manhatten to be the default but have you got the AV button on the Manhatten remote to learn the TVs AV select button? That might help.

Edit see page 21 of the Get Started 'manual'.
Thanks, will read yet again!

Sorry , what is CEC please?
Consumer Electronics Control - it is an HDMI feature that effectively passes on remote control instructions to other connected devices so that it is only necessary to use one remote.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom