MANHATTAN REMOTE - WONT DO ANYTHING

oxonjeff

I thought my T3R problems were over but sadly not. This is by far the most appalling DVR i have had the misfortune to own.
After the other thread of AUDIO BUT NO PICTURE, i now have the situation where the remote decided to give up completely. It now does nothing at all, not even power off the box.

Because of the other issue i had posted elsewhere, i did a full factory reset, disc format, checked latest software, which it has. This seemed to clear the problems, but now i have another.

I tried the trick of holding S/AD and RED BUTTON for 3 seconds. No blinking LED, nothing. New batteries also fitted before this. I also powered off the box manually at the power supply and left it for 20 minutes.. Still nothing

I didnt register the box with Mahattan for the full 2 year warranty, but i should still have the consumer 12 months warranty from the reseller surely ? Its 10 months old

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
It could be a number of things, from a failed remote to a fault on the PVR, or both. Sadly, the T3-R has no front panels controls (one of my grumbles) which would have been helpful.

The 2y warranty is only available if you register within 30 days of purchasing a box from new. I’d be inclined to give Manhattan a call to see what they say.

Gavtech

Administrator
You can do a functional check of the remote to determine if the problem is with the box or remote.

Point the remote into a mobile phone's camera - which is sensitive to infra-red.
On the phone screen you should see the diode lighting up or flashing when you press buttons on the remote.

Yes - you should have the 12 month warranty cover from the seller.

oxonjeff

Thanks guys, the mobile phone trick revealed no diode flashing. Its just dead, and either the remote is not transmitting signals, or the box isnt receiving any. Or both fubar, as you say Clem. The blue power light is on the front, but i have to power off at the wall

I contacted Amazon again, ( there was a problem before, different thread ) and they also have archives of previous faults listed, and i spoke directly with an agent, and have been informed by Amazon that if i dont get a satisfactory response from Manhattan, Amazon will refund me.

This T3R has more bugs than an Mi6 gadget convention. The 2 faults i've had and posted about on here are just the serious ones. There are annoying others. They just didnt stop the box from working

I have sent Mahattan another message about the new fault, listing the first fault i had in March, which i had also sent them a message about back then. I have now inisted i do not want a replacement box or remote.

I'll use the refund to buy something reliable, like another older tech Humax HDR FOX T2

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I think that your experiences are atypical. It’s not a perfect lump, for sure, but I don’t recall seeing many posts detailing the problems that you’ve catalogued here.

oxonjeff

Well, unlucky maybe, but since that's my experience of this box, i'll not get another. Why would i trust another one

Ian182

Well, unlucky maybe, but since that's my experience of this box, i'll not get another. Why would i trust another one

I spent a bit of time last night reading the reviews on Amazon, as I was finding it hard to believe that the problems you've seen, and the problems I've seen are unique.
The remote suddenly not working seems to be a common one, as does picture break up (the thing I'm experiencing), despite the picture being absolutely fine when the aerial is connected either directly to a TV or another freeview device.
The conclusion I've come to is that it's complete pot luck as to whether you get a "good" box or not. The mistake I've made was buying it second hand, so I've no return options. Because it's made from very cheap plastic it also has light scratches all over the top of it, despite me barely touching it, which will affect any sell on value.
If I could turn back time I would have bought it new, and immediately registered the 2 year warranty. You live and learn I guess!

oxonjeff

Well i didnt see any of those Amazon reviews, but plenty of people have good things to say about the T3R. But when your own experience of something is less than stellar, those good reviews dont mean a lot.

I spoke to Manhattan tech supp, who was very helpful by the way, but we didnt get anywhere. He mentioned the batteries not making contact in the remote. This suggests that the remote battery terminals are rubbish.

Anyways, i got nowhere with the Manhattan tech guy. He just said Amazon will have to deal with it, which they did. I'm getting a full refund and i'm returning the box with one of Amazon's free return labels.

Now i have to think what i replace it with. Modern tech means a Humax Aura, or old tech means my favourite Fox T2 HDR.

Ian182

Now i have to think what i replace it with. Modern tech means a Humax Aura, or old tech means my favourite Fox T2 HDR.

What TV have you got? I was initially reluctant to use the built in Freeview Play on my 2016 LG, but I've now got used to it, and I'm actually fairly happy with it.
Attached an old 80GB HDD I had in the loft for recording the odd thing (mainly ITV to avoid having to use ITV Hub), and then set up Favourites on the Guide, so that my default view has the channels I watch/record. The picture quality on the HD channels is superior to both the Manhattan, and my previous Sky Q box.
Only downside is it only has one tuner, so I can't watch anything else on Freeview if it's recording. But I think I can live with that.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom