1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manchester Home Entertainment Show 2005

Discussion in 'Shows & Events' started by Ikklepip, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Ikklepip

Ikklepip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yep, I am attending!

What day are you going? I am not too sure yet as I am windows fitted (see my Dedicated Room thread for details), but I am definately going one day over the weekend...hoping to pick up a bargain!! :clap:

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I've been for the last 3 years, but might give it a miss this year.

I was bored last year! The same companies seem to demo the same or similar stuff in the same way, and in exactly the same place every year.

I can see it now......
    - IXOS, Alphason, QED etc with 'market' stalls near the entrance
    - KEF and Mission next door competing against each other so you can't hear either properly.
    - Denon deafening everyone in one of the big rooms with their 'Mine's louder than yours' style demo.
    - Sony disappointingly leaving there newest and most anticipated products at home (e.g. HS60 perhaps... they didn't bring the HS50 last year)
    - Then 3 floors of tiny rooms with other companies trying to demo stuff in an environment not unlike a packed rush hour train.

Also, you can't pick up a bargain as most stuff is sold at or very near full retail price and can be found much cheaper elsewhere.

I suppose I may still go in the hope that SIM2 bring along the C3X.

It's a good show if you've never been before, but I don't think tghe manufacturers see it as very high priority.

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    How much to get in this year?

Thanks... :)

5. Ikklepip

Ikklepip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Les - I'll probably attend the show on the Sunday, not sure what time though.

Jules - I understand where you're coming from, but every hi-fi show I've been to is the same anyway - Bristol, Manchester Airport or this one. I've never been to one of Gordon's events, so I can't comment on that (although I heard they're a lot better). Frankly, the only reason I'm going is to:

a) See the Sim2 C3X
    b) See the Qualia 004 (and hopefully the Ruby, although I doubt they'll have it)
    c) See what Denon have
    d) Watch the Marantz demo

You also said they left the HS50 at home last year. I've went last year (and all the previous years too) and I thought that's what they demoed blu-ray on??? I could well be wrong though!!!

Paul - Haven't a clue, probably in the region of £5 I should imagine.

Cheers,

Ikklepip :)

6. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    £6 to get in this year.

As for Mission and KEF trying to outdo each other - I don't think it will happen this year as Mission aren't there (according to the website) !

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    It was an HS20.

8. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Just come back from the Practical HiFI Show. Finally got to see Panasonic PV500 running HiDef and compared it against Pioneer 436XDE.

I am buying the PV500! At last my mind is made up :D Saw the Sony Qualia Projector it was awesome, but it was running off BluRay so can't compare against the real world of Std Def.

The show wasn't as good as last year as we only got one proper large demo. In the Audiolab room they had a Themescene projector, but they had the lights on ruining the contrast. Nevermind it sounded very good though.

Puts your own system to shame seeing some of the setups, but others didn't sound that good at all and you wonder what they spend all the money on. E.g. AE Ailites didn't sound that brilliant. Maybe you just get used to the way your own system sounds, so others that might be technically better just don't turn you on. Anyway they only offered a small discount on the PV500 so I'm afraid I will have to buy it cheap off the Internet.

:rolleyes:

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I went in the end.

Best thing bout this years show was the standard of totty! Hot pants galore inviting you in to the Audiolab demo... which also happened to be the best thing there. :thumbsup:

However, after all the hype, I was slightly underwelmed by the Qualia 004, and disappointed that SIM2 weren't there to show off their C3X.

At least they made an effort this year to move things around, so it 'felt' different. But there really weren't any proper demos other than Sony and Audiolab.

10. Ikklepip

Ikklepip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll be going tomorrow, so I'll be sure to check out the lovely ladies at the Audiolab demo.

It's a shame about Sim2 not exhibiting there, but I don't blame them really. You can't show the C3X, HT300 or Domino series in a 10ft square room.

I'll just have to wait until January 2006 where they normally demo at the Manchester Sound & Vision Show -

[B]http://www.chestergroup.org/prod01.htm[/B]

They have a massive room there, so they can set everything up just how they want it. There's also plenty of room for people to sit down and lose themselves in HD / Home Cinema nirvana. :)

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Class :clap: :rotfl:

13. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The Sharp 65" LCD looked good to me, not a proper demo but at least it came up north.

I think that there was a definite change to the show this year, more lower category home cinema equipment being shown. Denon showed their home cinema amps in a box outside, Yamaha did not even have a demo possible of their proper home cinema amp. Possibly due to the London/Bristol shows being either side of this.
    Odd thing though there was some quite good proper hi-fi on show.

I did like the Sony Qualia Projector, very nice but even Simon Cowell would have trouble finding space for it. Strange the Blu-ray spiderman looked totally different to my DVD, as if the CGI has been redone.

The Panasonic PV500 was as good as expected but I'm going to find a Sharp 45" HD LCD to replace my PHD6.

My tip for the show was the JBL L880 speakers. Very, very good floorstanders for £700 or less.

Steve

14. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    The Sharp 65" looked massive in person!
    The picture below doesn't do it justice...
    (god knows what that 102" Plasma looks like!)

Attached Files:

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    The qualia looked great but with some video noise, but it was connected via component so maybe a digital connection would have been better, the dolphins clip looked dreadful!

For me the star of the show was the Sony Bravia KDF-E50A12U a 3 lcd rear projection tv which was amazing playing back hi-def from a bluray demo disc, and only £1200 with table and 3 year warranty :eek:

16. Ikklepip

Ikklepip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Kramer, I don't get the joke, I'd probably laugh if I did! :)

Anyway, back to business. I attended the show today myself and was pretty disappointed by the lacklustre turnout of big names. I went knowing that Sim2 weren't going going to be there, but I didn't anticipate Marantz not being there either - their demo is normally quite good.

Adding insult to injury, Denon just turned up with a few DVD Players, Amps, Systems etc on stands, with no actual Home Cinema demonstration like in previous years (I don't count a hidden plasma at the back of the room a proper demo). If I wanted to just see the gear, I'd walk into Practical Hi-Fi and have a nosey!! :thumbsdow

On the upside, the obvious highlight of the show was Sony showing off the Qualia 004. As mentioned previously, the contrast wasn't overly impressive, but the picture looked very film-like and I still had to pick my jaw up from off the floor. They showed various clips from HDCAM and Blu-ray. I was very impressed with Blu-ray actually. I didn't notice the noise issues that Timh mentions in his post, but that is not to say that there weren't any - I've recently discovered that my eyesight isn't what is was. I was also very disappointed that they didn't have the Ruby set up; I guess that they just didn't want it stealing the 004's thunder.

As for the FPD's, I was highly impressed with the Panasonic PV500 and Sony Bravia (model unknown). Sometimes it looked almost real enough to touch items on the screen. I also checked out the huge 65" Sharp Aquos. It didn't look quite as sharp (no pun intended) as the Sony and Panasonic, but that could have just been down to crappy source material.

Fujitsu brought along the LPF-D711 (1080p HD projector), but didn't do anything with it!! It was just on a stand next the back wall, where most people ignored it - what a waste!!!!! Their plasmas were very good though and their stall had some fine ladies on it :thumbsup:

One last puzzle - where were all the budget projectors - Z4, AE900, Benq PE7700 etc ??????

I've been to this show for the past 4 years, but this time is probably my last time if this is anything to go by. My advice is if you're a Home Cinema fan, then go to the Bristol or Manchester Airport shows. If you're into listening to Norah Jones, The Eagles or smooth jazz, then you'll probably enjoy this show. :D

Ikklepip :)

17. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, I was a bit disappointed compared to last years show.

However my first visit was last year so everything was new so I was a bit in awe.

This year was definately a re-working of the previous. The girls on the Audio Lab demo was a high point...had to make out that I had not noticed as the wife was there though!! :eek:

One thing that struck me though was that companies all had HD Ready Screens but no 'movie' source material...just the HD demos of flowers, buildings and general nice looking vistas! Hopefully next year that will change.

And I agree that it was more geared towards the listener than the movie watcher!

When is the Manchester Airport show usually on?

18. Ikklepip

Ikklepip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Les,

It's on the 28-29 January 2006.

Check out:

http://www.chestergroup.org/prod01.htm

That should tell you everything you need to know. I've been every year for the past 4 years. There is a lot of hi-fi stuff there, but some of the home cinema stuff is good too.

Cheers,

Ikklepip

p.s. I'm pretty sure that Sim2 will be there with the C3X, so it should be worth going just for that!

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Unfortunately, we were not given a suitable demo room or space to provide a room environment to show the LPF-D711 to its true potential.
    As for everyone just showing carefully prepared HD demo material, yes we did that as well but we were not afraid to show a football match and a tennis match as well as high def footage of LOTR. Personally though, and I hope many would agree, that the fact we showed the material that you will be watching for a fair time yet was relevent to the user and a much fairer performance indicator. The people who thought that the Gladiator film and Batman begins were HD material were pleasently surprised when they found they were playing from a DVD-rom drive or Denon DVD player....... When a clip was above 10MB/S video rate I told them so, when it wasn't I told them so, the Plasma did the rest and all that over a 30Mtr Component cable as well........ Neither Pioneer/Panasonic or Sharp would show this stuff as they preferred showing the usual Red Pot sourced demo material. Was I wrong to be different and honest? One thing is for sure everyone seemed to know what had the best picture that you can achieve outside of a manufacturer demo.
    Oh and Kef did alright out of our use of those little Kef Egg 2005.2 speakers, and yes people we only used two for stereo and no sub either....Even Kef were impressed.
    Eric kindly invited Mark and myself to the Qualia 004 demo, I must admit it is beautifully made (if rather large) but the picture was average on the HD CAM material with motion verging on the poor, the Blu-ray material was much better and I'll wager very expensive, again personally I would have liked to have seen a DVD played as well.....Contrast was not that exciting but at least it was well setup and sharply focused.

Anyway, all off to Hammersmith now to do it all again but this time with a proper room to show the LPF-D711 working and no other screen manufacturers opposite with 1200Watts of blue screen reflecting onto our screens..... If you thought our screens looked good at Manchester be prepared to be impressed at Hammersmith where we can actually control the light hopefully.
    Oh and Emily was our show girl and Maria actually works for us full time in sales :D

20. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Graham,

Great news, I'm off to the show on Friday with a couple of mates and am looking forward to checking out the many demo's.

Cheers

Andy

21. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    My thoughts on the show.

Went with a mate and both of us are in the market for a new 'HD Ready' 40" ish TV....

I think we can conclude that HDTV looks great on all types of TV (even LCDs) and it got to the stage where we had to ask for standard def demos as this is what we'll mainly be watching and as daft as it sounds shows the TV's 'true colours' (if you know what I mean).

Very dissapointed in the lack of DLPs, I think there were a couple of Sagems on the Alphason stand but they didn't look too good. Not even sure if it was HD demo playing.

The 40" + LCDs from Sony and Sharp all looked AWFUL in SD. I always thought it was because they weren't set up correctly in the shops...Not so, they looked equally as bad here. LOTR looked so artifical and 'cartoon like' on a Sony 40" LCD (the one in the middle of the room behind the partition), House of Daggers (i think) looked very fuzzy, VHS like even. Not a patch on my current 4 year old Tosh RP :thumbsdow

The 50" Sony LCD rear was very impressive, but it was showing HD so didn't get to see it in SD.

The Pioneer and Panasonic plasma stole the show for us. Excellent quality in HD and SD. Jpeg stills were equally stunning too.
    I think my mate's gonna go for the Pan 42PV500, but i'm not so sure.
    Need to see a few more DLP demos first.

I enjoyed the Sony Blu Ray demo , but the gear used (a £20,000 FP :eek: )for the demo was more for a profesional cinema set up or millionaire's mansion than even your avg HC enthusiats set up. But, still it shows what blu-ray is capable of and was better than anything I've seen at my local multiplex.

What happened to the traditional 'goodie bag'??
    The best we got was a small packet of sweets (can't remember who from).
    What happened to the old mouse mat and pen? :mad:

Surprised no Optoma (last year's show stealer) this year or Philips. Tosh never show up.

This would have been an ideal opportunity for them to show off their 'HD Ready' sets and am very surprised more didn't show. Maybe it's down to teh show's sponsor Practical Hi-Fi and who they deal with.

Overall, not as good as previous years but more visual stuff than the MCR Airport show which tends to be more biased towards Hi-Fi than HC or has this changed in recent years?

22. mgh0001

mgh0001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 50" Sony LCD rear was very impressive, but it was showing HD so didn't get to see it in SD.

i have seen the 50" Sony LCD in standard kit and was not impressed, stick to viewing with blu-ray

23. incywincy

incywincy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I made it to the show this year (missed it the last 2 years!!) and managed to pick up a bargain on some KEF speakers :thumbsup:

Does anyone know what the demo disc was that KEF were playing in their 2nd room - it was like ping pong balls hitting instruments??

Cheers