Manchester By The Sea (2016)

Drax1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
This one's currently doing the rounds at Sundance.
Casey Affleck plays a brooding loner, who's life gets complicated when he's named guardian to his teenaged nephew. Michelle Williams also stars. Kenneth Lonergan (Margaret) directs.

man2.jpg

man.jpg

After great performances in Out Of The Furnace, and Gone Baby Gone, Affleck makes this one to add to the list.

Review: Manchester By The Sea (Sundance) It's quite an in-depth review, so tread carefully.

Kyle Chandler. I'm in.

When is this released in cinemas in the UK?

Saw a free preview today, got to say it's a brilliant film with an absolutely incredible performance from Affleck, truly one of the best I've seen. He's a broken, repressed bag of bones and occasionally a spitting fireball of rage. It's a heart breaking watch, I felt on the verge tears more than once and I'm not an emotional person. There were many moments of humour though, but never at the expense of the tone.
If I had to be picky, I'd say there were sequences where the score felt a bit obtrusive and didn't quite match with what was on screen. But that would be it, this was a near faultless film. Just don't watch if you're feeling depressed.
9.5/10

Saw a free preview today, got to say it's a brilliant film with an absolutely incredible performance from Affleck, truly one of the best I've seen. He's a broken, repressed bag of bones and occasionally a spitting fireball of rage. It's a heart breaking watch, I felt on the verge tears more than once and I'm not an emotional person. There were many moments of humour though, but never at the expense of the tone.
If I had to be picky, I'd say there were sequences where the score felt a bit obtrusive and didn't quite match with what was on screen. But that would be it, this was a near faultless film. Just don't watch if you're feeling depressed.
9.5/10
Wow! High praise indeed! Glad to hear it's sounding so good. 2017's first must see film now.

Saw a preview screening of this last night.

Although very sombre, this is a very absorbing character study drama made more exquisite by a sublimely brilliant performance from Affleck. He is the main focus who plays a man of few words with a lot bottled up inside, kind of a tour de force in minimalism.

The drama unfolds in a slow burn depiction of his trundling through life, dealing with events that forces him to be reluctantly involved.

There is a sprinkle of humour in the right places and support characters add variety of depth to Affleck's inner turmoil.

Its an engaging journey with a couple of heart rendering moments that tugs in an unexpected way.

So I enjoyed this, despite the rather anguished tone throughout. I dont think its a top class drama its made out to be. It has its flaws. Some head scratching edits (ex, one scene lasted 5 seconds ending in a pun which suddenly cuts to a completely new jarring scene as if it was inserted post test screening to add "humour"). Choir music is effective in certain moments and reflects blatant religious references but it is used too forcefully sometimes and should be reigned in to make the moments when its really needed have that bit more impact.

Very good film, though and Affleck sure deserved his little globe.

8.5/10

It is refreshing to have a filmmaker who does not pander to mainstream Hollywood blueprints by delivering a candid and intimate insight into the life of Lee Chandler and his extended family. In addition to a primary timeline, Lee's narrative is driven by a series of flashbacks; writer-director Kenneth Lonergan not patronising audiences by seamlessly transitioning between the two. Whilst not quite in the same tragicomedy territory as Life is Beautiful, there are a surprisingly high number of laughs. This is what I love about this film; it is melancholic but not melodramatic. Any poignancy is naturally galvanised, without the need to exploit the audience's heartstrings. Due to Lee's cold demeanour, his social awareness is awkward, particularly his aberrant behaviour towards his nephew. These humorous scenes ground the film, reminding audiences that life is full of balance, even amidst tragedies.

I have not seen the other films mentioned in the best actor's category at the Golden Globes but Casey Affleck's performance is revolutionary. Despite a few brief appearances, Michelle Williams delivers a heart breaking supporting role. One scene in particular is almost draining to watch, when you witness the pain on their faces.

The rewards of Manchester by the Sea will very much depend on the expectations of the viewer. Some may struggle to relate to the characters. Others may find the chronology and conclusion to be obtuse. The film's strengths undoubtedly lie in its life observation of a community dealing with loss, acceptance and forgiveness. Manchester by the Sea is only Lonergan's third feature at the helm within the last sixteen years, but nevertheless stands to leave a lasting and monumental impression.

An incredibly truthful, frank non showy honest portrayal of how men interact and deal with emotions (preferring to spend time together fixing engines rather than talking about feelings for example) I left the screening impressed and somewhat upset and devastated by what I'd seen. When looking at anyones behaviour in future I won't be inclined to judge them until I know what they have been through?

9.5/10

I watched this last night. I have not shed so many tears since I watched "Dear Zachary". It is an absolute gem of a film and I would go so far to say it's perhaps one of the greatest of the decade.

How can something that made me feel sick and made me cry be so good? I have no idea.

Affleck is sublime. It feels like he was born to play this part. I was a complete emotional wreck both during the film and after and still am now, almost 14 hours after it finished. It is a masterpiece. I cannot begin to describe what a mark it has left on me. I had to have 3 whiskies after it finished.

It's a 9.5/10 at the very least. Astonishing.

Finally got around to watching Manchester by the Sea and it was a delight to see such quality, thought provoking drama at a multiplex; as this genre seems to have become the preserve of TV channels like HBO in recent years.

Can only really echo the praise lavished upon it in the posts above and have my fingers crossed that this movie is recognised with a few Oscar awards, so that it garners the publicity to draw much larger audiences at cinemas.

Hey, I know this guy. He is Casey Affleck. He is the guy who got a very pretty wife, Summer Phoenix. But sadly, I heard they are separated now.

I am hoping to see this tonight. Especially after the high praise from fellow members.

What an incredible film. Harrowing and pretty much perfect in every respect. Affleck is on another level, although I fear it's going to be an extremely tough year Oscar wise.

Finally got to see this, eventually out of the two Cineworlds near me, one started showing it!

Good movie, very sad - and whilst I thought it was good, I kind of don't think I want to watch it again in any hurry (a bit like that Will Smith 7 pounds film).

7/10 for me

There's not much else I can say that others haven't already... but this is a stunning film and incredibly moving. 10/10. Great acting from everyone.

Very good film, not at all over rated imho. Enjoyed watching it on my own, Mrs would've hated the suppressed rage and awkwardness.

I need to see gone baby gone and out of the furnace now I reckon!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom