1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man U FC or Man U The Business??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mason, Apr 25, 2005.

1. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have always been a bit of a Man U fan and I know that there is a few of you on the forums also.

I watched the game yesterday and just thought that they looked as though they where missing something or someone.... it was the same against Everton also. The press are good at the moment at stirring up a bit of a storm around Sir AF's position by mis-quoting (again).... but surely with him being the most trophied manager (ever?) in the premeirship then the lack of premeirship titles in the past 2 seasons has to be blamed elsewhere and for me the blame lies with the board.

I appreciate that all share issued companies are there to make money for their shareholders but have Man U taken this too far??

The question was put to Andy Gray yesterday of what position should Man U look to 'beef' up in the summer. His comments where cut short (various reasons) and the only one he got to comment on was the goal keeping position.

Will the board supply Sir Alex with the cash to build a strong 1st team and squad or are we seeing the downfall of Man U and the posibility of the resignation or sacking of Sir Alex.

Not being a full time surpporter of Man U .... I dont know and just I would get some opinions on this and mainly the following:

1. Club or business- have they taken it too far
    2. Where do Man U have to strengthen and will the funds be available
    3. Do you see Sir Alex as being under any threat (in his current position)

Thanks

Mason

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,962
    To answer the squad quesiton, I would say they need a good goalkeeper and they will have to find someone to replace Roy Keen as well. Apart from that I think they have a good squad there, but they just need a kick up the backside a couple of times to get them really on top form.
    One thing that has annoyed me a couple of times is Cristiano Ronaldo poncing about taking his ear rings out when he's been called on as a sub - any good manager should make sure that the players are ready to play as soon as they are called to come off the bench !

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    To be honest, i don't agree with that. I too am a United supporter, and I put the blame for our downfall squarely on the shoulders of Sir Alex. He's bought bad players (and a couple of good admittedly), sold the best player we've had since Cantona, and changed exciting tactics (2 upfront playing off each other, penetrating, fast passing, lots of wing play) that were destroying everyone domestically and in europe, to tactics that can't even get a goal anymore (1 up front, with another striker playing anywhere but upfront, very defensive, no penetration and no successful wing play). I appreciate what he's done in the past, but the past shouldn't save him from the sack this summer.

Along with him, quite a few members of the squad should also be handed their P45's. David Bellion, Louis Saha, Liam Miller, Quinton Fortune, Phil Neville and Jose Kleberson should all be given their marching orders, along possibly with Silvestre(i like him but Fergie blamed him for the Norwich defeat, so he's a candidate), Smith(i like him but he's never gonna play consistently so it's unfair to him to be here) and Fletcher(Fergie loves this guy but he can't play for toffee) if we actually want to be able to raise money to sign anyone new, as we already know the board aren't releasing transfer funds, except to buy a new Goalkeeper.

The board should splash more cash, if they want us to challenge next year, and let us make offers for players like Gerrard, Downing and Wright Phillips (probably pretty fruitless, but those are the players we need) and we should also grab Patrick Kluivert on a free transfer, as i think him and Ruud would hit it off up front, but they should also take advantage of Martin O'Neill's Celtic unrest, and get a new manager. I also think we should get rid of Carlos Quieroz, as i have a sneaking suspicion that our negative tactics are partly down to him. He tried the same at Real Madrid, and not only did they play really badly, but their lack of any decent defenders caused them to lose A LOT. Our only saving grace is we have the best defensive unit in the league.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    :offtopic:

What about Rooney's goal, a rocket if ever I saw one!

5. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

It was a peach.... the commentators where just sayin how he was about to be taken off and then out of the blue he hits a stonker into the top corner!!!

Goal of the season?? I would think so. :smashin:

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    My biggest bugbear at OT is Squad Rotation :mad: .It really pisses me off
    You have a first 11 , If they are all fit , they play. Regardless of who the opposition are . When the game is in the bag , then you bring others on . There is no point in resting someone on the bench , and having to bring them on to try to salvage a point , you play them from the start!

As for Fergies purchases , Saha - waste of £12mil , Kleberson, Miller - not played enough to make any real judgement on imho (Miller was free tho) , Bellion - never understood that , wasn't even in Sunderland starting 11
    Fortunes not had too bad a season , but he has never been fit for a full one yet (about 5 now)

Ruud & Kluivert ? :suicide: .Kluivert is just interested in money , Barca couldn't wait to get shot of him

John

7. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I would say that the Beckham sale wasnt all Fregies fault... I think that the board saw the cash so off he went. Even with him still there I would say that United would still struggle because they need a bit more than one player. Fair enough they had a bit of a fall out but that should be kept behind doors and someone let it out of the bag.. that didnt help.

A few bad signings yes but some of them have proven records- Kelberson, Saha, Smith.... although there are sellable assets and the would be snapped up in the summer should they be put up for sale. Although have the been given a proper go?

Liam Miller hasnt really been given a chance and if he was I think he would do great job down there. He can pass, he is composed and quick.

I still think that Fergie has it in the tank to make Man U a success but he requires cash and for the United board to run the club with the umber one aim of being the best in the world.. for football reasons.

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    unfortunately, at a big club, you have a very short time to settle in. Kleberson has been given numerous chances, and despite from a couple of good games, he's looked completely out of his depth. Saha is far too injury prone to be an asset, and looked much better than he was when at fulham, because the rest of their players were crap. Miller has been given a fair number of chances in the cups, and a few in the league. I think he had one good performance, which may well have been in Europe, but most of the time he gives the ball away needlessly and gets caught in possession, much like DJ-DJ did before he went to Villa. Smith has what it takes, but will always be the "solskjaer" player at Man U, coming on as a sub, or playing when there are injuries, and i think it'd be better to have someone younger like Rossi performing that role, and for us to have £7m back in the kitty.

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    The Manc Are Big :consored: and i hope glazier the Mr Potatoe head lookalike takes over and wrecks them

10. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

Thats nice to see... structured sensible responses.

11. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ahh its ok mate anything to do wth manchester united is in need to be hammered by a scouser. its the law here dont ya know ;) id be letting the side down without the customary dig

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i'm actually going to be doing something shocking next week.. supporting Liverpool when they play Chelski in the CL semi!! I REALLY don't want the blues winning their Mickey mouse treble and then making out they did better than Man U did in '99, i mean it was bad enough when Liverpool won the 3 cups, we never heard the end of that despite the CWC being full of lithuanian and maltese nobobies :rolleyes:

13. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    And where is the MONEY commong from to buy new players ,you owe it to Everton for the Rooney transfer ,Everton only got £10m up front ,you have spent your budget for next season ,unless you sell some players i.e Van Diver,you are knackered!

14. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    They should sign Leroy Lita from Bristol City. The kid is class. I can then sell his boots on e-bay and buy a few new DVD's.

Pete.

15. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

I suppose :rolleyes:

16. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    What do you expect?The press love Liverpool, so they were bound to hype it to death. :D

17. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    for good reason we are the most successfull club in the history of neglish football :D get on your knees and respect :lesson:

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Do you reckon double glazer could lend the villa a tenner? :(

19. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    what so ellis can give D'OL 2p and bank the rest in his nest egg for interest :rotfl:

20. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Ancient history now though. ;) Still, if you beat chelski the good times might be rolling again for the pool'.

Oh, and we beat 'them' again! 1-0 to the Arsenal, 1-0 to the Arsenal! :clap: :D

21. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel happy :D you sound like a manc with comments like that :rolleyes: ;)

22. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Not bothered either way. :cool: If you win the Champs leauge I'll be out there with everyone else having a few jars...................

23. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Maybe Fergies been reading , half way down ,"story of the season"
    John