1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man its hard to make a decision

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by willwood, Apr 15, 2005.

1. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I went to Curry's today armed with my laptop, DVI-HDMI cable and a load of DVD's. It pains me to say this but I really dont rate the Samsung, compared to the HD45 the Samsung had a poor picture, nowhere near as bright as the Sagem, nor as sharp. I will go to anothe Curry's though and make sure its not a dud Samsung the one I saw the other day running from component was really bright and vibrant.

So I think its a toss up between the RD50 and the HD45, I actually prefer the HD45's styling but I want 50" :)

2. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    did u check the settings on the samsung. mien was too bright when i bought mine, had to turn the colour settings down and brightness contrast as well. also was the sagem showing hi def material? the samsung is very bright and sharp maybe not as sharp as the rd50. but that depends on ur taste look at various posts.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    You also have to consider the age of the bulb when viweing as intensity decreases with age. Remember these sets are on all day seven days a week.

:)

See if you can see the amount of hours the set has been on for. This can be done via a service hack unless the sagem and samaung have it listed in their options.

:)

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Oh and did you try to turn up the intensity on the samsung? Not brightness but intensity...

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will i know you use modded Xbox we installed Xbox media center a couple of days ago & allso
    Auto Installer
    I tried the Xbox today with divx movies the incredables & Blade 3 trinity & they played fine quality was ok but the big surprise was the much improved DVD picture quality we connected with an advanced scart lead and the quality matches or exceeds a PC through VGA .
    I've no idea how long this software has been out as we only started playing around with the Xbox at Easter :)

6. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    razor,how the heck do you access the intensity?

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    On the optoma sets there is a intensity setting in the pictue settings. It basically turns up the bulbs brightness. Most front projectors have them.

There are eco settings on most sets which run the bulb cooler and therefore not as bright. This is feature however doesnt allow you fine tune how much intensity you need.

My set starts at 0-30 factory settings are 15 I have it on 17-18 depending on what source I am using.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

???? Have I missed something steve. Bit off subject, the poor man wants to know wether to get a sagem or a samsung. Where did xbox and divx come from.

Post this sort of info here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203484

:hiya:

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will was round my house the other day & we discussed Xbox's
    the best picture with the Xbox had contrast at 8 , brightness 18 & intensity 13 .
    Will as i know you are aware uses a Mac laptop which uses a different colour space to a PC so any settings you are used to using probably don't apply.
    I don't think any of these sets have been on sale long enough to worry about the bulbs losing brightness (6months 180 days x 14 hours = 2520 hours)

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Steve

LOL.... Just puling your leg about the off topic remark. ;)

2500 odd hours will make a slight difference to the picture. There is one LG owner who has bought his set on the asumption that it was new and it had 1800 odd hours clocked in. Not good.

What is the Optoma bulb life ment to be?

Most front projectors have a bulb life of 2000hrs to 6000hrs (4000hrs is common). I know the Sim2 projectors have 8000+hrs bulb llife which is mainly because their ANSI lumens rating is lower than other makes (around 800 ANSI)

:smashin:

11. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Steve have you changed the dvd drive of your xbox or using the orig.?

12. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Optoma RD50 has a bulb life of 10,000 hours it also has a contrast ratio of 2000:1 & the RD65 has a contrast ratio of 3000:1 , i'm sure the contrast ratio is the same for both sets so draw your own conlusions as to the reliability of the 10,000 hour bulb life.

br14n no still using the original hardrive it's not my Xbox so i'm not going to upgrade it.
    Plenty of instructions on the Xbox sites though.:)

13. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yeah i had a friend bring his chipped xbox round last wekend. He has the media center on it the newset one. It even has settings for 720p and 1080i and wow do them menus look razor sharp in 720p and 1080i, plus play back of divx was amazing in these modes.