Man dies in ambulance because crew stopped for shift change

gavan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable:

BBC NEWS | England | Tees | Man died after ambulance detour

An emergency patient died after a paramedic diverted an ambulance because his shift had ended.

An investigation is under way after the incident in Stockton, Teesside, on 18 May, in which a 69-year-old man died.

Instead of taking the stroke victim to Stockton's North Tees Hospital, a paramedic drove to the town's ambulance station because his shift had over-run.

What has the county come to?

What has the county come to?

I assume that it's a typing error and you meant country.

In my view the paramedic's actions are tantamount to manslaughter and should be dealt with as such

I hope the 69 year old mans family don't get wind of his name.

Sickening, you would have thought that people like that should have been found out that they hate the job before then though.

I have to stay back at work sometimes but it ain't all the time but you just do it.

Liam

That's gross negligence and shouldn't be allowed to work in the health service again. Assuming that is that the story contains all the facts, although I'm not sure what else could crop up that would make it even close to an OK decision.

Thats horrible, they should have more action taken against them than just a suspension!

Thats horrible, they should have more action taken against them than just a suspension!

It is horrible but the suspension is only done so an investigation can go underway and find all the facts. You cant just sack someone without any knowledge of the incident.
I hope neither of them work in the health service again if what is written is true.

It is horrible but the suspension is only done so an investigation can go underway and find all the facts. You cant just sack someone without any knowledge of the incident.
I hope neither of them work in the health service again if what is written is true.
i know, i also agree with what you wrote

I take it that we all know for sure that the crew were not under instruction to return to base.
Lets have all the facts before we send the crew to the gallows.

While it's a regretable incident, management may need to hold thier hands up and be counted for dispatching a crew close to their finishing time.

While it's a regretable incident, management may need to hold thier hands up and be counted for dispatching a crew close to their finishing time.

and what if that was the only crew available?

I would have thought that management did not believe for one minute that anyone in their employement could stoop so low as to sacrifice the life of another human being just so they could go home on time.

I would have thought that management did not believe for one minute that anyone in their employement could stoop so low as to sacrifice the life of another human being just so they could go home on time.

Agree with you. This is, to me at least, the definition of manslaughter and the ambulance crew should have appropriate action taken against them.

That's passing the buck in my opinion. What do you do then? Not send anyone out who's within 20 minutes of thier finishing time?

I think its extremely selfish that a ten minute trip to hospital to save someones life was less important than finishing at the right time (/less late)

and what if that was the only crew available?

The remit of management is to ensure the service is resourced properly and effectively. If this was the only crew, again management should be accountable.

That's passing the buck in my opinion. What do you do then? Not send anyone out who's within 20 minutes of thier finishing time?

It's not passing the buck. The managers have a role to play in this fiasco and if a subsequent investigation highlights lack of leadership or ability then this needs addressed.

Sorry to read about this case but I am certain it does not reflect on the entire service. From personal experience I can say that in the half dozen times we have had to call an ambulance this year the paramedics and rapid response crews have been nothing short of heroic, no exceptions. I wonder what it was that made this particular paramedic do something like this, I am sure an investigation will get to the bottom of it.

Sorry to read about this case but I am certain it does not reflect on the entire service. From personal experience I can say that in the half dozen times we have had to call an ambulance this year the paramedics and rapid response crews have been nothing short of heroic, no exceptions. I wonder what it was that made this particular paramedic do something like this, I am sure an investigation will get to the bottom of it.
when i had an ambulance out last year they were very good and very nice and efficient and helpful

the only thing that was not good was i was in agony and they took a while due to me not being a priority (i broke my collar bone)

hopefully this remains a one off case

I think its extremely selfish that a ten minute trip to hospital to save someones life was less important than finishing at the right time (/less late)

Maybe they dont get paid for over time?

Sad someone had to loose there life over it but alot of people have that kind of attitude

Having read through this thread i feel that i should make comment

Firstly after reading the bbc article i states that the Paramedic was driving and the technician was in the back whilst this is common practice. If the patients condition was as serious as appears then this in itself is misconduct as the Paramedic should have been in the back with the patient

Secondly you cannot refuse to go out on a 999 call even if it will take you over your finishing time and you should see the call to completion

Thirdly it makes no difference if they were the only crew available management are not to blame (on this occasion) as you cannot tell how many calls will come in at the same time and as we know ambulance services do not have infinite resources

And lastly this was gross misconduct and the HPC ( health professionals Council) will probably strike him from the register and ban him from practising Paramedicine again (at least they should

In every job there are incompetent and lazy people and two bad apples shouldn't spoil the barrel

Maybe they dont get paid for over time?

Sad someone had to loose there life over it but alot of people have that kind of attitude
to be fair it shouldnt matter whether they get paid 10 or 20 mins overtime for saving someones life

the saving someones life should be payment enough in that case

i agree with what jamie has said as well

While I agree it is a sad case that has happened there are other things that must be considered

Was it really an emergency call? or was it something that the paramedic had thought he had got under control and the patients life was no longer at risk?

how long was this persons shift?
had he breeched his alloted safe working hourse?
would he be insured if he was to carry on?

yes we all want to do our best to save anothers life, but when you deal with life and death all day long and you are under pressure of losing your job and home if you defy management/protocol what do you do?

remember alot of people want to keep their job, and get unfair pressure to do things that are morally wrong.

lets hope if its a case that he wasnt just being selfish and it was a procedure issue then it is highlighted and sorted

He will be struck off as he has defied the HPC code of conduct he has also disregarded his duty of care to that patient as well, shame really as im sure all his good deeds he has done in his profession far outweigh this silly mistake.

Its difficult when you work in these kind of professions as your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont a nurse can be struck off if they knowingly walk past an emergency in the street if off duty, the demands of the health care profession are huge but its that big 24 hour accountability stick we have at the end of the day and sometimes it weighs heavy.

Kop

had he breeched his alloted safe working hourse?
would he be insured if he was to carry on?

That was my first thought. Drivers work on limited hours by law and IIRC, it's dependant on more than the current shift (total driving over 24 hours or something, someone who drives for a living can clarify). If he had used up his quota for driving hours, he may have been under pressure from management to hand over the vehicle.

I'm sure the facts will come out in the investigation.

^^^ Agree, I thought this too. Red tape can be a deadly thing - I would very much doubt a paramedic would let someone die just because his dinner might be getting cold, but NHS middle management would, I'm sure, allow this quite happily as long as they attain their targets.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom