Question Man Cave Speaker Placement Advice Needed

birdie87

Novice Member
Hi All

I impulsively purchased these 5.1 speakers and receiver the other day. Just wanted something a little better for my games room/room where i watch stuff the Mrs doesn't want to.

Excuse the mess I didn't intend on posting these pictures on a forum when I took them!

IMG-6139 (1).jpg

IMG-6140 (1).jpg

The room is a small box room. Almost square although slightly longer facing the tv. I bodge jobbed it on Saturday night and I've got a handy man coming round in just over a week for a couple days and am going to get him to do the wiring etc (and speaker placement) properly whilst he's here. Will also be getting a proper tv stand in due course!

I love the sound of it and atmosphere of it all so far. And that's knowing it's not ideally set up! I'm sure there's improvements to be made as I can generally tell the rough direction of things but it's nor clear exactly where things are coming from.

Three main issues I'd like your thoughts on:

1) Although ear height front stereo speakers pointing horizontally seems to be common/recommended. I didn't really think about the fact there's a door during my impulse purchase! It's only a matter of time before somebody opens the door when I'm in there and knocks it down. Or, before my 18 month old terror who loves to break things pushes the speaker stands over and break the speaker and potentially something else!

If I fix them to the wall just above the door and having them pointing down towards the middle of the sofa at roughly ear height would that be hugely detrimental vs not pointing at an angle? Everywhere I've read they seem to recommend the speakers at eye level. But not sure if that means they can't be positioned high up and pointing diagnally down or not.

2) The speakers at the rear are too high up I think. I'm guessing just behind head height still, pointing in same direction but much lower down? Any suggestions on speaker placement for this little room appreciated!

3) Pointing the tweeter thingy. I know they're literally supposed to point to your left & right ears. But this sofa, in this small room, has this thing in the middle that you can't sit on. Would you imagine there was somebody bang in the middle of the sofa and direct the tweeters towards their ears? Or would you point the tweeter towards the middle of each seat respectively? Or to the outside of each side of the sofa?

Suggestions on all thing appreciated!

Attachments

• 86AE1976-AA2B-4D83-8DC6-E93AE4F2CBE5 (1).JPG
    86AE1976-AA2B-4D83-8DC6-E93AE4F2CBE5 (1).JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

password1

A picture of the room would help.

In a 5.1 system the rears should be higher than the fronts. You can point them down if mounting high.

The centre can go above or below the screen.

birdie87

Novice Member
A picture of the room would help.

In a 5.1 system the rears should be higher than the fronts. You can point them down if mounting high.

The centre can go above or below the screen.
Thanks for the reply and, sorry. I forgot to attach them!

Well I was to attach the speaker above the door then the front speakers would be as high, if not a bit higher, than the back rear speakers are now.

Thoughts appreciated!

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Hi All

Just wanted something a little better for my games room/room where i watch stuff the Mrs doesn't want to.

Wow there, little more information than we need! ;)

No, on a real note, I think you should reverse the layout. My eyes could be deceiving me but it looks like there's just enough space to put the sofa against the wall where the TV unit is without obstructing the door, might need to push it hard up against the side wall. If that don't work, consider a single seater as it would probably serve your purpose.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom