Mamma Mia! Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Feb 6, 2009.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Reviewed by Alan Paterson, 6th February 2009
      ‘Mamma Mia’ sports a nice, clean ( a little warm, but natural) 1080p transfer of a recent movie with very good HD sound. The Extras provide a welcome insight into the production of the movie and will be relished by movie buffs, the world over.The Blu-ray of ‘Mamma Mia’ allows us to enjoy a recent movie with Cinema quality picture & sound in a comfortable environment without the distraction of someone rustling popcorn throughout the picture.
      Overall, I’d give it 8 out of 10.

Read the full review...

2. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +723
      Thanks for the review Alan - I'd agree with most of the things you point out - though I found the picture a little distracting at times...I found Meryl Streeps character glowing gold at times...
      I'm not sure whether or not it's my set up as this was only the second film I have watched through the Denon, but at times, it seemed as though the actors were walking through filters - skin tones fine at the top with gold legs, or fine at the left side of the screen, gold in the middle and fine at the right side...

I listened to the commentary and learnt that the big dance numbers were filmed in a studio - maybe the artificial lighting accounts for it...or myabe my player is faulty...:confused:
      All in all, I found the inconsistent colouring very distracting...

3. the id

the id

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +118
      Great review mate.
      Thought I'd watch the Blu Ray at a friends house to see what all the hype was about.
      I have to agree with your appraisal of the picture and sound but the film score for me has to be a great big '0', abysmal tripe :rolleyes: ...each to their own.

4. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +723
      This film is defo an each to their own mate - I'm with you...how am I ever going to watch Goldeneye again after seeing Brosnan in that stupid get up during the closing credits...:eek:

5. kempez

kempez

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +281
      Nice review and thanks for the comments on picture and sound.

I'm going to have to disagree with your opinion about the film though as it truly is appalling. I have the *ahem* good fortune to be engaged to a woman blessed with the worst taste in films ever (think every bad rom-com you've ever seen), so of course I had to go and watch this with her. Even she thought it was pap....and that says something. It's a tirade of sentimental drivel with a storyline that barely makes it through the first half hour without it tearing itself apart at the seams. I'm aware that's not what the film is about but come on!

The songs felt so shoe-horned in to every scene that I was surprised it wasn't sponsored by Clarks. Tenuous links into the start of almost every track made me cringe throughout.

Another point is that I actually really like Abba from my childhood, my Mum and Dad used to play them a lot at home. Streep and most of the others do a decent job of carrying these legendary songs through the movie, with Firth's slightly feminine voice a little off-putting at times, but just about surviving.

However, Pearce Brosnan's singing voice is an absolute embarrassment. The man cannot carry a tune to save his life and ends up bullishly shouting his way through some of the numbers. Whilst I'm no Elvis, I would have to say I have a superior singing talent to him and I would certainly never attempt to ruin an Abba track in a blockbuster movie. It does worry me a little that you think he avoids "letting the team down"; the man cannot sing and is only there to give the middle-age ladies something to croon over.

There you go, rant over. At least you engaged me whilst reading ey! ;)

6. Graham N

Graham N

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +307
      I have posted a question about Mamma Mia and have not had a reply. I have two vertical parallel lines near the bottom right hand corner on my Blu Ray version of this film and was hoping someone would try their copy out and report if they have the problem.

It has been viewed three times and the fault wasn't noticed the first two times, but now that I have seen it I find myself distracted by it.

Graham

7. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +83
      Hi Graham,
      I haven't seen your post about this before, but I just checked my copy.
      Wow! You must have sharp eyes.
      I've watched this movie three times and hadn't spotted this.
      On a 7 foot screen the 2 lines you mention are very faint and about 2 inches high. They only really show up on light shots.
      It looks like a bit of surface damage on the print that was used for the transfer, just light scratches.
      Alan

8. Graham N

Graham N

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +307
      Hi Alan,

thanks for confirming the fault. And sorry for bringing it to your attention because it will get on your nerves now that you know.

If you haven't seen my post in the movies section then I will tell you what happened. I was testing my new anamorphic lens and called my son in to show him how it worked. He noticed the lines straight away.

I chose this film to demo because my wife loves it and I was also trying to justify the lens purchase to her. Anyway, because we had watched the film twice before without seeing this problem I assumed it was the lens. It was only mounted temporarily and I had to take the lens and PJ down to enlarge the hole in the wall for the wider picture to miss the sides.

I didn't notice anything obvious on the lens so when I mounted the PJ again I tested the same film without the lens and the lines were still there confirming that the lens was ok. So now I am thinking that the new PJ was faulty. I tried a Sky HD film and no fault. Tried other Blu Rays and again no fault.

This confirmed that the fault was with the disc. As to your comment about surface damage on the print I then tried our DVD version of it, this did not show up the fault. Perhaps I will contact the distributors and see if there is another version of the disc.

Again thanks for taking the time to test this for me.

Graham