1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mame 32 and roms?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by danny-p, Jan 24, 2004.

1. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm running M.A.M.E. 32 for windows xp to play roms from arcade machines........the only roms/games i have are the mortal kombat series 1-3 ultimate and all work/load up fine but when i play them the animation/frames are jerky as hell and the sound echo's?
    It cant be the sound as ive recently upgraded the sound to a S-Blaster Audigy 2 platinum ex and upgraded the ram to the limit also.
    My pc is a pentium 3 700 Mhz with the above sound card onboard graphix card (no AGP slot B.T.W.) AND 512MB of 133ram.
    Is it a matter of upgrading the main board/processor to one with a decent agp slot and that will take faster ram?
    If anyone can answer my above question and/or inform me of the mortal kombat series running requirements i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Danny

2. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    dunno about the sound but the graphics are because of the onboard you have, i had the same problem with tekken and killer instinct, got me a new gforce fx 256 and now they play fine
    also for games like that i would recommend at least 1ghz of clock speed, other wise you will be stuck with the likes of Mr Do and wonderboy

right click on the game in mame and go to d3d settings, see if there is anything to boost it a little like full hardware acceleration

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Solar,
    So do you run mk on your pc and is it full frame rate etc?
    The g-force fx 256 sounds like the route....is there a pci version or do you recommend upgrading the main board/chip/ram etc?
    Doing the upgrade wont be a problem as i built the one i've got now but the problem is which board chip is best suited for running my favourite games *(mk series)??

Thanks

Danny

4. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried what you said (right clicking on each rom) and yes it speeded them up to around 90% and the dreaded stuttering audio is also better so like you said it is a graphix thing...

Danny

5. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    if your just after the mk series then i say you should download the snes roms. the emulator (zsnes or snes9x) runs better, your pc will run it no problem, games are just the same and setting up the controller is easier.

:)
    Solar

6. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your opinion mate but the s-nes is not even in the same league as the coin-op on a 42" plasma on both audio and graphics/playability.
    I know it would have alot better frame rates etc but i'd prefer to upgrade the pc board and have the real thing.
    Ive already made this for the arcade controls which is identical in size to the original coin-op.

Attached Files:

7. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    side view of the same.

Attached Files:

8. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nicely done matey! i wouldnt mind one of them for my pc
    :D

9. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i.ve been a big fan of the series ever since 92.
    I,ve bought the first 2 on pcb for the supergun but both play great but the supergun/loom/pcb looks really ugly compared to a tidy pc.
    The button surrounds come with the manual with the original pcb's so i simply ordered the 8way mk style joystick and colour coded buttons, melamie cut to size, edge beading strips then rewired it to suit.
    4X suckers on the base to stick to a coffee tale or desk and its just like in the cades!!
    Except not quite on my pc!

Danny-p

10. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    hehe nice, real nice !
    if you just want to upgrade for the use of mame with MK and not bothered about having serious hardware then go for a cheapo mobo, graphics card and ram
    a 64mb nvidia or ati
    512mb of sd ram should be fine too
    about £45 for a mobo will be good enough
    overall a £100 will be enough to get mk running sweet enough
    www.aria.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.web-systems.co.uk
    they do some pretty cheap parts

before you go out and buy the stuff, try this
    boot into bios and set your onboard shared mem to 128mb, that might sort it out for you too

LMK how that turns out :)

11. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Solar... will do!!

12. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Solar,
    How do you do this in the bios?
    Ive done a reboot and held down delete....Bios screen is now on and i cant find that menu/opyion you mentioned?

Danny

13. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    lol not sure, i have never used a onboard graphics before, but i know there is an option to let you do that, on most boards anyway.

see if there is any option that resembles "shared memory" or "graphics memory size"
    other than that i dont know

14. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mortal Kombat 2-Ultimate 3 require around at least a 1ghz for close to perfect frame rate. Killert Instcint 1 and 2 aren't even full speed on my 1,670mhz CPU. MAME is the ultimate CPU killer. There are games in MAME that require probably over 10,000mhz CPUs.

I'd say no less than a 1.4ghz AMD cpu for the MK series, and for the Killer Instinct stuff no less than 2ghz, especially for KI2. The arcade versions over the SNES versions most certainly. The SNES hardware doesn't even compare - I have the MK1 board set actually. Playing the games on authentc controllers is nice too, btw. I agree there. I use 2 Hot Rod SEs and an X-gaming. I play MAME, and all of my emulators on my 36" Sony Vega, and put sound through my B&Ws. I'd like to look into an arcade monitor for accuracy, but a 4:3 is as close as you'll get.

Video cards do almost nothing for MAME, sorry. Your pc is at that level where small little tweaks will gain you some, but like I say, unfortunately you can't play a game requiring 1-1.2ghz on a 800mhz CPU. It just isn't going to happen. If most of you're fun comes from emulators, trust me, throw most of your PC spending budget towards CPUs.

-edit-
    I'll elaborate a little bit. I've been using MAME since somewhere around 37beta13-14. I remember when Mortal Kombat 2 emulation was very preliminary. I've played it on multiple different hardware configuations and following MAME is one of my many technical hobbies. I built a PC to do many things, and one of them was running my favorte and important arcade games at full-rate.

Motherboard generally doesn't matter, just get something decent - an ASUS board for instance....
    RAM is kind of important, IE: nothing below 500mb PC2100 DDR
    Radeon 9000 64mb is fine for mame, and completely affordable. I use this one actually. The more powerful you buy, the better. Realize that it won't help MAME any more though.
    Sound? Whatever you tolerate for a sound card setup.
    The rest is user preference.

Ultimately, for MAME, the fastest darn CPU you can afford, the better. Make your CPU department scream, and you won't. :smashin:

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can stand it, playing with the sound disabled should boost the framerate a little.

NBA Jam is another MAME game that's very hard on the specs.

16. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your very detailed post!!!
    Every possible question i had has just been answered!

Basically i'm gonna get a new board and chip/ram and salvage the rest (dvd burner, audigy 2 plat edit s-card, 80 gig HDD etc)
    This sunday i'm heading for the computer fair.

Thanks again.
    Danny-p

17. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    i beg to differ
    mortal kombat series was perfect when i had a 1ghz athlon 512mb sd ram and nvidia 32mb tnt2.

Killer instinct 1 didnt run very good with my athlon 2200, 1gb ddr ram, 128mb ddr radeon
    so i went out and bough a gforce fx 256mb and now killer instinct 1 and 2 runs amazing.The graphics card does make a difference, mess with the settings for hardware rather than graphics settings in mame and you will notice.
    mame32 is the cpu killer, im running DOS mame because its compatible with souledge/tekken and a few more 3d games and things just couldnt be sweeter.

18. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >
    If you can stand it, playing with the sound disabled should boost the framerate a little.
    <
    That's a good point. In some cases, it cuts the spec require in half. I don't think danny-p is interested in that though. :D

> NBA Jam is another MAME game that's very hard on the specs.
    Not anymore than MK2. Both run on the same hardware - DCS. DCS is what makes Rampage World Tour, NBA Jam, MK1-Ultimate 3 and a few select others made by Midway hard on the specs. DCS is the sound system for that hardware. At one point, I got mk2 to run perfectly on a 500mhz cpu without sound. That was also with a version of MAME that was pathetically out of date.

The biggest killers right now are Cruis'N the world/USA - they need 3ghz. Sanfransico Rush, I've hard 7ghz, but not sure on that. I do know that it runs at like 30% on a 3ghz Pentium 4. Carnevil is crap slow on the fastest CPU available, and one of the STV hardware games, Die Hard, I believe, was quoted at needing somewhere around a 10ghz CPU.

> i beg to differ
    I'm going by accurate requirements for the most modern windows version of MAME(the official build and development platform). MAME32 doesn't make that much of a difference and to be honest with you I don't know very many people who still use DOS MAME. Also, a MAMEdev told me that MK2 should need around 1.6ghz. I think that's pushing it as I can run it fine, but maybe not. The overall point is with MAME, you need CPU power. Settings aren't going to make a 500mhz difference no matter what you do. THAT is the goal. Your CPU was fast enough as is, you had a bottleneck elsewhere in your system that you fixed.

> the graphics card does make a difference
    That's why MAME is rendered in 99.9% software mode too, hu? Oh yeah, because upgrading your video card will produce magical results. You had to have had some sort of bottleneck elsewhere in your system. MAME uses Direct3d for NON-power hungry processes(scanlines, bilinear filter, etc.). MAME renders nothing with platform specific crap like Direct3d. Killer Instinct isn't even 3d. Everything in MAME is on your CPU. Read the MAME board.

Play KI2 then press F11 and monitor the frame rate for 10 straight minutes during the demo, then actually play the game for 2-3 matches. Does the frame rate dip AT ALL? If it does, your machine isn't fast enough.

> dunno about the sound but the graphics are because of the onboard you have
    No it's not. He's got a 700mhz CPU. A graphics card isn't going to make the game fast enough. I explained this, MAME renders everything in software due to accuracy and portability. Very little is used with direct x, and that stuff is just for filters, and the like.

> i had the same problem with tekken and killer instinct, got me a new gforce fx 256 and now they play fine
    You also have a CPU that is twice the speed of his.

> i would recommend at least 1ghz of clock speed, other wise you will be stuck with the likes of Mr Do and wonderboy
    I said that too, but you seemed to want to say that is all he needs. Sorry, I'm trying to steer danny-p to realize that he needs A LOT of power. He seems serious. MAME is for serious people. If you really like arcade games and want to power them good, while playing them accurately, you'll need the newest version of MAME and the fastest damn CPU you can afford - being patient and saving for a little bit longer if you need to.

> Just tried what you said (right clicking on each rom) and yes it speeded them up to around 90% and the dreaded stuttering audio
    But it didn't make them 100%. You just found, essentially, the 100% optimum video configuartion. Mind you, with MAME32/MAME, you actually will probably prefer graphics overlays/effects, etc. that will slow down the emulation. Only a little though. With MAME, it has always been standard. Any certain game always requires around Xmhz/Xghz, nothing you can do except buying a new CPU will make the game play fast if you're a few hundred mhz off the required speed. It may be playable, but it won't be perfect.

> so like you said it is a graphix thing...
    No it's not.

> your just after the mk series then i say you should download the snes roms
    What a pathetic suggestion.

> games are just the same
    What a pathetic comparison.

> Doing the upgrade wont be a problem
    danny-p, take my advice and put your money where your CPU is. MAME doesn't even require a fancy 32mb video card if you ask me. I will say that MAME doesn't require you to buy 128mb/256mb video cards. You only do that if you're interested in something like Doom3/Half-Life 2.

Always keep in mind that MAME gets slower and slower, so make sure to keep up-to-date and run MAME on fast CPUs.

-edit-
    In a recent thread at the MAMEboard, one of the more prominent, and knowledgable MAMEdevs said the following in reply to someone asking about some of the hard disk games.

19. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CrystalClear,
    Thanks again for a worthy sequal to the most detailed post i could of asked for!!!
    I'm not going to rush into this and wait til i have cash and find the right board for mame.
    Just tried running mk1 with sound off and JESUS... Its gone to +5000% compared to my supposed 90% before!!!!!
    So after seeing the game without sound run @ almost full if not full speed then it must be running @ 35%-45% with sound.
    Its been sooo long since i'd managed to track one the originals down in the arcades so i,m going to save for a mother of a CPU and also some high end ram to go with it!
    Seeing the game run so good reminds me of back in the days dreaming of eventually owning these great titles!
    Lastly i was hoping you had any more recommendations of the perfect Board/chip combination possibly with onboard graphics also that i can monitor until i save the pennies?
    Thanks a million again!!

P.S....What do you think of the MK Style arcade controller i made?

Danny-p

20. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your controller is pretty darn slick actually. The only thing I would've done differently is made the controller cabinet wide so it would balance on top of my lap easier without the worry of falling off as easy - even though it's only a 1p cabinet, i'd make it wider.

>
    Lastly i was hoping you had any more recommendations of the perfect Board/chip combination possibly with onboard graphics
    <
    Well, onboard graphics I really wouldn't know about. I'd recommend a mother board no less than the ASUS A7N8X, which is what I have. 4 USB, 1 Lan,, on board 6-channel analog surround & digital stereo, support for 400mhz ram, 333mhz FSB support.

I'd say no less than this mother board.
    No less than an AMD CPU that has an ACTUAL mhz clock of 2ghz. Not something that's on AMD's rating system of 2000+ or more, but a chip from AMD that's ACTUALLY 2ghz or more. I'd personally recommend pushing for 3ghz as much as possible. But floating somewhere around a REAL 2ghz is acceptable(esspecially an AMD 2ghz).
    I'd say no less than 512mb PC2100 DDR ram(266mhz). Personally I'd recommend 512mb PC3200 DDR ram(400mhz). Same amount of ram, but faster loading of everything.
    Video card....no less than a Radeon 9000. I'd recommend more personally, but this will work with MAME fine and from my experience handles quite a few pc games decently(with default-to low graphics settings), but I don't really play PC games. :) That's where your video card will need steroids...if you want DooM3, Half-Life 2, and so on.
    The rest really doesn't matter. A big hard drive is recommended as an entire MAME rom set is well over 10gb. I have 118 MAME games on this pc. Only 118! I have like 10 pc games on here also, only 10! I also only have 13gb free on a 40gb drive.

You're looking at $400 just from the things actually gave specific m odels on above. $800ish probably for a complete computer if you get budget-minded on the rest - example: small monitor due to the big screen you already have to paly games on/whatever. You certainly don't need a $2,000+ PC to play 95% of games in MAME. I could play 95% of games in MAME, I just don't want to.

Good luck, and have lots of fun!

21. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks and i certainly will!

Do you know of any mame sites?
    Mame.dk has shut downCheers danny-p

22. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll PM you with that particular information....

23. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have something a bit more to add for you danny-p, actually. Look at this discussion here. Pay attention to what the MAMEdev, R. Belmont says. What he said right there, is repeated, very often, on a regular basis.

I do have some more specific hardware specs for you to watch out for/get if you can. The general stuff I listed earlier for you, should bloody well get you started nicely, but almost make things easier. Like, 6 months later, you wanna throw some cash at your machine. That board I suggested earlier - the one I use, can support the AMD 3200+. It supports 3gb ram as well. But anyhow, here's a pretty slick setup.

AMD 3200+ - $220ish
    1gb 3200 DDR RAM - $180ish
    Top of the line ASUS board, A7N8xE-deluxe - $125ish
    Radeon 9500 and up.
    I also recommend serial ATA hard drives.

The deluxe version of MY board, is asus' second best, and my actual board, is 3rd.

24. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!!
    Great info again!!
    I should have the cash by end of march so looks like i'l be building the BEAST you've just described.
    I'm in process of building/face-lifting my custom arcade controller.....I started off by wiring/drilling out another button (run button on mk3+umk3) and decided to start from scratch keeping just the circuit, buttons & joystick.
    Going to make it wider also than the original.
    I'l post some pics once i've finished & i'l keep you posted with proceedings.
    Thanks

Danny-p

25. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sharing. If you get ambitous, I'd be really interested in an internal shot showing the wiring.

26. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anywhere you can legally download roms or is it all illegal?

27. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Illegal :)

28. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about that.....I was under the impression that as long as you own the originals (which i do...mk series) then your legally allowed to download roms as a back up to your original incase the original goes dead.
    Im sure the above is correct + i think the rom your backing up must also be a discontinued arcade machine..(killer instinct..tekken..mortal kombat etc).

The Dude:)

29. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't even think that's true danny-p. I've heard multiple times at the MAME board that, well, you just can't download ROMs at all.

As far as the arcade game being discontinued, that really doesn't matter. The Pac Man machine pops up here and there in arcades every now and then, and people might say it's discontinued, but the company still owns the copyrights to it.

30. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    You are not allowed to make backup copies of any game, read the blurb on the back of games manuals, backups are counted as being illegal.

These game companies don't even like emulators ><