1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mallrats R1 - Poor Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by CounterWhine, Jun 26, 2003.

1. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi All,

I recently replaced my VHS copy of Mallrats. I had a choice between the R2 version (4:3 DD5.0) and the much more expensive R1 version (1.85 anamorphic DD5.1).

I opted for the R1 as Mallrats is one of my favourite films.

Well I don't know what the R2 print is like but the R1 version sucks. It looks like there's a mucky grey film over the screen and at one point, a vertical purple line (like felt tip) appears for a few seconds.

Some collectors edition that turned out to be.

I was tempted to replace my R2 Chasing Amy with the Criterion version but now I'm not so sure.

D.

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    Chasing Amy was shot on 16mm, as a result the R2 doesn't look any better than the Criterion version. They share the same extras so an "upgrade" to the R2 wouldn't really give you any benefits.

The R2 of Mallrats doesn't really look any better either. Although the R1 looks pretty ropey the extras make it easier to live with. You can pick up the R2 for around £6 these days though

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those movies were low budget. Don't expect fantastic PQ. I thought the PQ was pretty good considering.

I have the Criterion of Chasing Amy and the image is grainy with dull colour. I bet that's the best they could get it to be though.

Both Mallrats and Chasing Amy are perfectly watchable anyway.

The best PQ is on Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

Oh and Mallrats is a CE because of the extras ;)

4. Flibster

Flibster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Chasing Amy Criterion DVD is basically a reprint of the Laserdisc version..just on a different format...well..apart from a new intro from Kevin Smith

I did a head to head comparison...they're identical image and audio wise as far as I could tell.

I thought the version of Mallrats was pretty good quality though...

Btw..Mallrats had a budget of 6 million..Chasing Amy...250K

Simon/~Flibster